TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any ideal how to get them to stop making squeeking sounds.
i thought i might fan them out and put grease in the middle of each leaf.
what do you all think about this ideal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
it may sound like a ******* job, but hey, i'm from arkansas, so it's ok. anyways. i pulled the rubber sole off the bottom of a tenni shoe, and cut it into strips about 3 inches long, by 2 inches wide. i then slide them between the springs. i put them at the end of the springs. to get them in, i found a ditch, and flexed the rear springs. then i got a flat head screwdriver, and worked em in. after that, i turned the truck around and did the other side. again, this sounds cheap, but it worked. give it a try, and hopefully it will work for you. good luck.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Check your local spring and suspension shops they usually have anti- friction pads for just your problem...I had them on my old truck and they worked really well...even got a little better travel after they where installed to!

look for Derlin anti-friction pads!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
i think the friction pads might look a little better. ha ha. i read that somewhere that the greaseable ones attract dirt, and can actually act like sandpaper. just a thought. it would take a long time for it to work its way through, but just a thought.

·
Registered
327 Posts
uhhh..jack the truck up by the frame..and dont let the wheels leave the ground..to seperate the leafs..and just grease em up..

temporary solution..i do it once a month..and dont squeek

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Gad said:
it may sound like a ******* job, but hey, i'm from arkansas, so it's ok. anyways. i pulled the rubber sole off the bottom of a tenni shoe, and cut it into strips about 3 inches long, by 2 inches wide. i then slide them between the springs. i put them at the end of the springs. to get them in, i found a ditch, and flexed the rear springs. then i got a flat head screwdriver, and worked em in. after that, i turned the truck around and did the other side. again, this sounds cheap, but it worked. give it a try, and hopefully it will work for you. good luck.
Sounds like a cheap trick to me! :welder:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yea the grease attracks dirt. After time it turns into goo and actually makes the ride harsher. Not a lot, but if you can feel it then its happening. More grease will fix the problem, but its a vicious cycle. Don't stock springs have little metal shims in them? I don't know if you could drive enough miles in a lifetime to wear through the leaf. What about plastic from tupperware or a thin piece of teflon from a cutting board?

·
Registered
203 Posts
wd-40, a squirt here, a squirt there. booyah.

·
Registered
207 Posts
WD-40??? sounds like a cheap trick. lol. jk. If all else fails, give it a squirt. i love that stuff, as well as seafoam and duct tape. lol. I also love arkansas.

·
Registered
508 Posts
PB Blaster's dry litiun spray works the best. Doesn't attract dirt lke wd40 does, which causes more squeeking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What does it sound like?

I recently put Deavers on, and now I have a squeak. It doesn't sound clunky like steel on steel, but more like rubber on metal. I thought it may be from the rubber boot around my shell rubbing on the cab. Seems to do it when going over a bump, or accelerating.

The Deavers are supposed to have teflon between the springs. Does anyone know if the teflon visable?

Steve
'01 with Donahoe's and Deaver's

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Trvlngnrs said:
The Deavers are supposed to have teflon between the springs. Does anyone know if the teflon visable?
Yes, it's visible. Look at the end of each leaf. There's a small round pad on each one. That's the teflon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, the teflon spacers are there. I had my wife jump on the tailgate, the squeaks sound like they come from the shocks. I'll start another thread, so I don't hijack this one.

Steve
(Travel Nursing in SoCal)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Trvlngnrs said:
What does it sound like?

I recently put Deavers on, and now I have a squeak. It doesn't sound clunky like steel on steel, but more like rubber on metal. I thought it may be from the rubber boot around my shell rubbing on the cab. Seems to do it when going over a bump, or accelerating.

Steve
'01 with Donahoe's and Deaver's
Are you sure it's not the poly bushings? Mine we're REAL loud till I went with greaseable shackles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
>Are you sure it's not the poly bushings?

There is gobs of grease where the spring connects to the shackles, so I don't think it's that.

I think I'll try squirting the shock bushings with a silicon spray, to see if that quiets it down.

Steve
'01 Tacoma, Deaver's, Donahoe's, 5100's, Stubbs Sliders, 265/75's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts