TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

Did a search, it was a little helpful but not specifically.

I know, I know, non-ABS shafts in an ABS housing will not work - without mods. What I want to be sure of, is there a way to mod the axle seal location (say, by the use of a secret seal part number...) in the ABS housing such that it aligns with the sealing surface on the non-ABS axle shaft? It would be significantly outboard of its present location, and the OD would be larger. Not to mention, the holes plugged. Anyone done this? Or am I breaking new ground here? Or chasing the foolishness fox?

The very kind fellow who sold me the axle housing is willing to swap ABS 4Runner shafts/loaded backing plates for my 8.4 rear axle/diff complete. From what I can tell, the brakes should work fine (unless I have another surprise waiting). Sounds fair enough to me. It would be the easiest, but its my mistake, not his, and he really does not need an 8.4.

Why I am doing this crazy thing: The application is the conversion of my 97 8.4 4.10 rear axle to a 4.56 elocked rear, using a 4Runner elocker housing I got fairly cheaply to accept the elocker I rebuilt- unfortunately, I discovered the ABS issue only after I started whacking off the coil stuff from the housing one boring Saturday.

Dim bulb me. :xcrybaby:

·
Registered
230 Posts
It can be done

Red_Chili said:
What I want to be sure of, is there a way to mod the axle seal location (say, by the use of a secret seal part number...) in the ABS housing such that it aligns with the sealing surface on the non-ABS axle shaft?
It can be done. I've read it at some point in time during my research for the E-locker swap on my truck. I'll try and find the link. Essentially you machine a spacer, they used aluminum, to offset the seal location towards the wheel by the required amout and plug the ABS hole by welding a slug in it.
Cheers :xbeer3: ,
P

Start here:
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=39001&highlight=axle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts