TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, question for those who don't have auto lockers (so only guys who have ARB, Elocker, open. Its not a snooty thing, just auto lockers have a LOT more internal slop by design, so your situations will be different).

How much play do you guys have at your rear diff if your tranny is in nuetral, and you try to rotate the rear drive shaft by hand?

I ask this because I have an irritating whine when I am under power, but NOT under coast. My gears have been re-set up, and I've been told that the gears need a period of time to wear themselves a new pattern. I'm trying to make sure this is all that the noise is, and not something that could be getting damaged.

I also cannot tell if it is coming from my t-cases or the diff. Sometimes it sounds like the diff, and other times, it sounds like its coming from the cases.

However, I put my tranny in neutral this weekend, and saw that I do have some play. It's not my driveline at all, it is all in the diff. Now, I realize that when turning the driveshaft, there will be some play, because you have to go from coast to drive through the backlash (which is tiny), side gear slop, and spline slop (should be VERY tiny). My pinion has ZERO in/out movement, but it seems like I have more play than I should, though I've never looked at it before.

Thanks!

·
20,355 Posts
I have never looked at that on my truck. I will today after i get it sprayed down.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
How much play do you guys have at your rear diff if your tranny is in nuetral, and you try to rotate the rear drive shaft by hand?
1/8" to 1/4"

I ask this because I have an irritating whine when I am under power, but NOT under coast. My gears have been re-set up, and I've been told that the gears need a period of time to wear themselves a new pattern. I'm trying to make sure this is all that the noise is, and not something that could be getting damaged.
There should be no noise on a proper setup. A VERY slight noise on the 1st trip might be noticed but it should be gone after that. Agressive tires should mask the noise.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Those measurments are subjective also, if your side gears are looser you will have more play.

Honstly I didn't look at Nate's or Troys when i set them up, I'll need to check that on the differentials i set up from now on. Under normal conditions the side gears should not wear, we are not that normal though.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine turns quite a bit. Way more than you would think from 0.006" backlash.

Noise under power and not when coasting is usually a ujoint.
AH!!! This could be, as I used a junk yard CV, and have never replaced my ujoints. I then beat the piss out of them by driving about 120 miles total with bad d-line angles. However, I have ZERO play in the driveshaft. If I leave the truck in gear, the driveshaft will not move even a fraction of an inch. Only in neutral do I get any play at all.

Mines got about 1/4-1/2 in of play in it... but my 3rd housing is pretty much trashed.
Good to know. Thanks!

Those measurments are subjective also, if your side gears are looser you will have more play.

Honstly I didn't look at Nate's or Troys when i set them up, I'll need to check that on the differentials i set up from now on. Under normal conditions the side gears should not wear, we are not that normal though.
Thanks Brian. I need to check it out.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I measured it out. I didn't get the tape in the video, but the mark you see is the one I used.

Looks like about 1/8" of play, so good, no?

Here is a video of it:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
There is one spot one mine that does double that:suicide: I'd say it looks good. Do you have any pictures of the pattern? specs of the shims used?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohhhhhhh dude.

This baby is shimmed at 0.268 or something like that. Its what you get when you use 4cyl bearings, a 4 cyl housing, and 6cyl gears.

Stupid ORI installers didn't inform me that I had 6cyl gears in a 4cyl diff. Thats why the ARB was getting contacted. They just stuck in the 6cyl bearings. I stuck in the 4cyl bearings on the new install, so the pinion no longer contacts the ARB.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I would have felt better about that if it was to music!
Me too! That's why whenever Brian comes up we cook for him. TO MUSIC! :cool:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Wow, everything I have seen showed you could do a V6 housing with 4cyl gears, not the other way. Troys gears were 4cyl in 6 cyl housing and they took .26x" thickness, I would think a 6cyl gear in a 4cyl housing would be very thin like .02X", big guess as I have never tired.

I read a little over on the sun forums, Robbie changed the pinion depth, that could be the noise then. You are not supposed to change the pattern on a broken in set of gears. The wear pattern is set and your trying to change that after they have been heat cycled.

I'm not sure what I would do with that diff.

FYI pinion contact with the carrier is common on ARB diffs. When in Reverse the torque of the rotation is pulling on the pinion head, and can easily move the pinion the .125" that is the clearance. Really try to limit the amount of torque you give to your differental in reverse.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I mean, if you are just re-wearing the gears, is that an issue?

Will the noise go away after some driving do you think? After it wears in better? Really, I'm just concerned about damage. The noise is annoying, but as long as things are tight, then I'm not very worried about it.

Great tip on the ARB stuff. Wish I'd known that. Wouldn't saved myself the trouble and expense of a rebuild! Dang.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
And sheesh... you call yerself that after this?

TOTALLY KIDDING all you wheeling peeps! :D
Isaac is backwards from most people - nice guy on the internet, total asshole in person. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts