TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about some ideas for a trail rig, and remembered something last night.. My dad had a ~96 2WD ford ranger that has like 210k miles on a 4-banger and a bad clutch. He bought himself what he calls a "yellow shit bug" for daily driving, in other words a ford focus that's yellow...lol.

Anyways, I keep meaning to go see him and put in a new clutch, but I got an idea instead. What are your thoughts on swapping in a taco engine/tranny/ECU and probably driveline on such a rig, and while I'm at it, SASing it? Since it's paid for and he has a new DD, dad and I can do whatever we want to it in terms of work and timeframe, that is if he's game ;)

I was thinking toyota powertrain because the 4 banger is so freakin weak and because parts are so easy to come by, not to mention the familiarity I have with the parts and the reliability of them as well. It's not going to be a rock crawler so I'm thinking a dana 40 would do the job up front. Steering would be simple once the parts were in hand too, just need a yota ifs box and frame supports so I can ditch the R&P. Motor mounts would probably have to be fabbed or bought. Naturally, crossmember too. Tranny would be stick of course, so the ECU would have to match that.

Thoughts?

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
it'd be easier to swap in a turbo 4cyl ford motor, svt maybe than it would be to do the complete toyota drive train, ecu, etc.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Honestly, I'd pass -
It's gonna cost more than what its worth.
If you plan on using Toyota taco engine/tranny/ECU and probably driveline
What exactly are you using from the Ford?
The body & frame...why? Does it offer any advantage- (Stronger frame, better WB)

I understand its paid for- but you will be spending alot of money /time to make it fit- It won't be worth it.
If you source a cheap tacoma engine/drive train- You can likely find a toyota frame /body for cheap as well.
The ford donor - doesn't really have anything to offer-
You are better off selling it and using the money toward buying a trail rig.

It'll be cheaper & easier to keep it a primarily Ford conversion

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are better off selling it and using the money toward buying a trail rig.
That's most likely true, just wanted to see what others thought :)

Still, would be cool as hell to have something that unique I think ;)

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
That's most likely true, just wanted to see what others thought :)

Still, would be cool as hell to have something that unique I think ;)
Start out with a Better foundation-
Toyota frame/drivetrain etc...... Then throw on whatver sheet metal you want.

Murderman's ToyoHeep - is a good example- It began its life as a 83 Toyota 4wd- after a few rollovers- It has a Chevy 4.3 & a CJ body.
4,3 blocks are cheap & readily available, however, once you start adding in all of the nuts, bolts, adapters, wiring..... You may have doubled/tripled the cost of the the block.

For whatever reason, your Prerunner > 4wd conversion has been postponed.
Just realize the Ford + Toyota conversion will be more costly and more difficult.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LET ME JUST SAY ONE THING Thanks for not letting your friends drive JUNK!!
LOL, point taken! SIR YES SIR!

Start out with a Better foundation-
Toyota frame/drivetrain etc...... Then throw on whatver sheet metal you want.

Murderman's ToyoHeep - is a good example- It began its life as a 83 Toyota 4wd- after a few rollovers- It has a Chevy 4.3 & a CJ body.
4,3 blocks are cheap & readily available, however, once you start adding in all of the nuts, bolts, adapters, wiring..... You may have doubled/tripled the cost of the the block.

For whatever reason, your Prerunner > 4wd conversion has been postponed.
Just realize the Ford + Toyota conversion will be more costly and more difficult.
I hear ya.

4.3s are fun, I used to have a S-10 that I thoroughly enjoyed driving, man that little engine had some kick for a v6.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
fun

Look for a tacoma pickup with a 5 speed like the use at O'Reily parts trucks.
they usually have a million miles on them and can be had cheap....
T-case and sas...Good rig..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts