TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! A quick bit about me:

2007 PreRunner SR5 2.7L Manual AccessCab

I move too much (New Orleans, LA > Jackson, MS > Denver, CO > Bay St. Louis, MS > Farmington, NM > Houston, TX > San Antonio, TX). I am moving from Houston (where I got my Tacoma) to San Antonio right now. I don't even own a house here yet.

I am trying to find a place in San Antonio that I can get a Detroit TruTrac or some other kind of reliable + inexpensive + efficient rear differential put in to replace my open diff. Even if I can find a reliable + inexpensive locker that operates as open when not engaged, I would be happy. Money is an issue.

Anybody got any ideas???

Plus, I wish I could go to the Takeover in Farmington, but my boss will be in Farmington that weekend. Which means that I will have to hold the fort down here in San Antonio. I worked for him in Farmington a couple of years ago, and we both have family there. I am going to be there in July (only time I could get off) to pick up some of my wife's stuff and her dog. I guess I just stink on the timing.

In any case, I look forward to learning from you guys.

Cheers!

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!

I can not help you on your locker question, but I am sure there are some guys here that will help answer your question soon.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
what's going on mark ? welcome to TTORA.

My name is Adam I am the central TTORA director and I would be more then willing to help you out.

If you want an effecient low priced locker I would go with an aussie locker or true trac. they will both run you around 200.00. I would recomment looking on the national board in the classifieds section here : click here ,craigs list and or ebay first to see if you can get a deal on one. I know shannon the founder of TTORA sells full TRD rear axles with the electronic locker in it for around 900.00 but I know your trying to save $.

Just a little more on the central chapter:
We have meetings at EVERY last friday of the month. In different locations each time (hooters,longhorn cafe...etc)

we also just had a WAT (wrench-a-thon) a few weeks ago and might have one coming up soon. just keep your eyes pealed.

if you need anything let me know e-mail me, message or if you want I'll give you my # and you can call me. Look forward to seeing you out on the trails and at the meetings.

Adam

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome! Look forward to wheeling with you in the future! :clap:
yeah lets see how far that pre-runner can get with a locker. :D

as for the locker, you're looking at the 200-250 range for a cheap "lunch box" style. the labor is really cheap if you do it yourself, and i'm sure there are guys here willing to help out, like myslef.

welcome to TTORA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I have no experience off-road. In college I rebuilt a 79' Scout II with an out of crate 345ci V8, but with all the carburator problems and electrical problems I had - I never got to take it any further than a few simple trails outside of Boulder, Colorado.

The only off-road experience I have is on a quad/4wheeler in the woods of Mississippi. That was mostly exploring and making trails for fun. I got the Tacoma because I needed a truck for hauling things (obviously I move a bunch). I figured I would get a PreRunner to clear the high waters we can get here in Texas. I never imagined taking it off-road. The locker/LSD is a just-in-case precaution. :kewl:

I am going to see if I can get something to replace my rear diff by the end of the year. Money is tight right now. I have a house in Houston that is STILL up for sale 3 months after I moved to San Antonio. :aahg:

Once I get my house in Houston sold and I have some spare money, I want to get a 1st gen Tacoma or a "last-model" Hilux. All I care about is that it has 4WD with a solid front axle. Then I want to put a 2LTE turbo-diesel in it. That will be my off-roading TOY. I just want something that can go anywhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:saw: :xcrazy:

...I guess I scared everyone off when I mentioned dropping a diesel in it... Why is that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
go for it dude. i'll let my '84 go for 800 without the motor. will bolt right up to that diesel. :D
What all is left on your '84? Err - better question - What config was your 84' and what kind of condition is it in now?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts