TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Ok finally decided to change my oil on my own (never did in a taco before, I fix computers, I'm not mechanically inclined really.) I got the skid plate off, draned the oil, but I couldn't get the dang oil filter off! I tried twisting, using a oil-filter wrench-thingy (its so tight in there couldn't get good movement) and could not get the dang thing off.
So how do I get it off? I twist counter clockwise right? Or is it backwards? Or is there another tip I'm missing? The manual doesn't help so I'm kinda stuck. Let me know thanks! :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
If it is the first time that the oil has been changed you would probaly have better luck bringing it to the dealer. The filter is over-tightened from the factory. Bring it to them and let it be their problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
when all else fails get a screwdriver and hammer it into the filter. Then use it as a handle to turn the filter. But this should be a last resort, it can also be very messy.
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
Dang it, you beat to it. I just wrote that and posted it and BANG, your post was there first! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Theres also a filter wrench out that clamps on the filter and crush into it forcing it to turn, it's used with a ratchet wrench. I had to use one on my boat after the screwdriver tore through.

Tim
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
I got one of those with my $750 Craftsman Specialty Automotive tool kit. I look forward to getting to try it on the Taco here soon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
MililaniTaco said:
Hey guys.

Ok finally decided to change my oil on my own (never did in a taco before, I fix computers, I'm not mechanically inclined really.) I got the skid plate off, draned the oil, but I couldn't get the dang oil filter off! I tried twisting, using a oil-filter wrench-thingy (its so tight in there couldn't get good movement) and could not get the dang thing off.
So how do I get it off? I twist counter clockwise right? Or is it backwards? Or is there another tip I'm missing? The manual doesn't help so I'm kinda stuck. Let me know thanks! :confused:

Dont take it to the dealer. they will just put the next one on too tight. Try someone w/ strong grip, and of course last resort the ol' screwdriver.

When you put the new one on only turn it once after it seats.

PS I like the FRAM filters because theyre good shit and they have that grip helper on the filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
i had the same problem last week. bought something from advanced or autozone. its basically a socket for oil filters, and uses a 3/8 socket wrench. mine came off after a couple of tries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
The best way to get it off is to buy a filter socket. It's basically a polycarbonate or stamped metal thing that fits perfectly around the end of the filter. They adapt to a 3/8" ratchet. They work great every time, IF you can figure out which one fits the filter that's installed. I now use Fram filters which have a really cool textured powder coat on the end that makes it super easy to get a good grip on it even when oily.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
97TacoDude said:
The best way to get it off is to buy a filter socket. It's basically a polycarbonate or stamped metal thing that fits perfectly around the end of the filter. They adapt to a 3/8" ratchet. They work great every time, IF you can figure out which one fits the filter that's installed. I now use Fram filters which have a really cool textured powder coat on the end that makes it super easy to get a good grip on it even when oily.
No offense to you, cause it's your truck, and I am not slamming you, but that "cool grip" is about the only decent thing about fram. Most people wouldn't even use them on their lawn mower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I use an eighteen inch long extension on my socket wrench. There is a hole in the plastics of the wheel well that shows through to the filter. Go underneath, place filter socket thing on filter. Then get up out from underneath to the wheel well closest to the filter, stick extension through to the fiter. It might help to turn the wheel all the way to the left. This way, you can actually get some leverage on the filter rather than being under the truck where is is really tight. Also, the filter can be felt from under the hood. I will go that way to place the filter socket on if the engine is not too hot. The angle is pretty close to perfect, but if it does not work, use one of the those u joint pieces. they are great too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
How would you know if Fram filters are good or not? Did you send your oil to an independant lab? I just don't understand how people come up with these ideas. Is Fram considered an "uncool" brand of automotive parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
97TacoDude said:
How would you know if Fram filters are good or not? Did you send your oil to an independant lab? I just don't understand how people come up with these ideas. Is Fram considered an "uncool" brand of automotive parts?
I don't send my own oil off for testing, but there are plenty of people out there who do just that. Some of them have a fetish for oil and lubrication in general I think. :)

That said, just do an internet search and you'll find plenty of websites where people compare oil filters (independent people who don't sell or market anything, like I said, some people just love stuff like this). Every one that I've looked over has listed the Fram filters as the worst or among the worst that they have tested/examined.

Look at this webpage, under the heading "Filters To Avoid". http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

That's just the first one that came up under a google search. There are tons and tons more out there, and many have pictures of the internals of all the filters reviewed - and yes, oil analyses done on oil ran through the filters. Here is another place on that same website that goes into great detail on each filter tested: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I don't use super expensive filters myself, but I do buy Napa Gold, and have for years on the advice of several friends who are mechanics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
maybe you can use a cheater bar of some kind over the handle of the filter removal tool. If it can just budge the filter a little, you will be on your way eventually. Big ass channel lock pliers are a 2nd to last resort. Then the screwdriver through the can is the last resort. And if that fails,go backto the channel locks on the collar of the filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Then the screwdriver through the can is the last resort. And if that fails,go backto the channel locks on the collar of the filter.
Haha, yep the screwdriver can fail. I had it happen once and I was one oily dude by the time I got that filter off. Lesson on oil filter tightening learned that day.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Fram filters are actually one of the worst on the market. Cut open a fram, a purolator, a wix, and a toyota filter. HUGE differences between them. I typically use toyota filters on my newer rigs, and wix for the old landcruiser. I only use the wix on the cruiser because toyota discontinued the proper filter for it. But as far as getting the filter off when it's stuck, i've had really good luck cleaning the filter off, and wearing rubber gloves. A little extra grip helps a lot. Of course as most here know, the best access to the filter is through the drivers wheelwell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Through the years I have aquired just about every type of oil filter wrench there is. By far my favorite is the oil filter socket that you can find in various sizes at your local auto parts store. Take your favorite filter or whatever brand you want (I don't even want to go down the oil filter type road) and buy the socket that fits it best. I have also found that it works best on the 3.4 if you access and remove the filter from the driver's side wheel well with a nice long 3/8" extension.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top