TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a BLM meeting Monday night regarding the future of Cow Mt.

The good news is that Cow should be here for a long time, they have secured the land so that the greenies cannot get it shut down. There are also not any endangered plants or animals. This was all good news.

The not so good news was the money. Their budget for 2007 is around 75k. To add insult to injury, even thought its one of the few BLM OHV areas in Norcal, this is the second year that they have not been able to get a single penny of the Green Sticker money that should be helping them out.

Here is a link to the Cow Mt. web page:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

There are a lot of things that we found out that we can help out with. Our local club, the Santa Rosa 4x4's already has an Adopt-A-Trail up there, we do trail restoration and maintenance, brush the trails and do trash pickup and whatever else they need.

Later in the year, I would like to organize a day that people from the area can come up and help out, but there is something that you can do today right from the comfort of your computer: write a letter.

There are a few parcels of land that they would like to add to Cow Mt. that are currently for sale, these parcels would add a third access point to the area off of highway 175. The two parcels would add about 1400 acres of land to the area. Of course, BLM does not have the money to purchase them, but there is an organization that will purchase and hold the land so that the BLM can purchase it down the road when they get the money.

Right now they need letters that show support for purchasing the land. It does not have to be anything fancy, but does need to cover a few key points:

-say that you are in support of acquiring new land to add to Cow Mt.
-refer to purchasing parcels that help with access to Cow Mt. OHV.

You can email them to rburns(insert at sign here)ca.blm.gov, fax them to (707)468-4027, or mail them to:

BLM Ukiah Field Office
Attn: Cow Mountain RAMP Project Lead
2550 North State Street
Ukiah CA 95482

If you are familiar with Cow Mt., then there is a form that you can fill out, I will upload it and post it in the morning. You can say on that for that you want them to expand also, and give other ideas at the same time. They are in the process of working on how they will manage the area, and they are looking for suggestions.

I am uploading the BLM Proposed Resource Management Plan and Final Environmental Impact Statement right now, you can download and review it if you need some reading to do tonight!

http://www.parksoffroad.com/temp/BLMRMP.zip

Here are some of my past trips to Cow Mt. for your enjoyment:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/alloldtrips/cow%20mt%207-6-03/cow%20mt%207-6-03.htm
http://www.parksoffroad.com/alloldtrips/Cow%20Mt%209-11-2004/webpage/cowmt91104.htm
http://www.parksoffroad.com/alloldtrips/cowmtchallenge11-13-04/cowmtchallenge04.htm

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
TRD4ME / PARKSOFFROAD.COM said:
I went to a BLM meeting Monday night regarding the future of Cow Mt.

The good news is that Cow should be here for a long time, they have secured the land so that the greenies cannot get it shut down. There are also not any endangered plants or animals. This was all good news.

The not so good news was the money. Their budget for 2007 is around 75k. To add insult to injury, even thought its one of the few BLM OHV areas in Norcal, this is the second year that they have not been able to get a single penny of the Green Sticker money that should be helping them out.

Here is a link to the Cow Mt. web page:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

There are a lot of things that we found out that we can help out with. Our local club, the Santa Rosa 4x4's already has an Adopt-A-Trail up there, we do trail restoration and maintenance, brush the trails and do trash pickup and whatever else they need.

Later in the year, I would like to organize a day that people from the area can come up and help out, but there is something that you can do today right from the comfort of your computer: write a letter.

There are a few parcels of land that they would like to add to Cow Mt. that are currently for sale, these parcels would add a third access point to the area off of highway 175. The two parcels would add about 1400 acres of land to the area. Of course, BLM does not have the money to purchase them, but there is an organization that will purchase and hold the land so that the BLM can purchase it down the road when they get the money.

Right now they need letters that show support for purchasing the land. It does not have to be anything fancy, but does need to cover a few key points:

-say that you are in support of acquiring new land to add to Cow Mt.
-refer to purchasing parcels that help with access to Cow Mt. OHV.

You can email them to rburns(insert at sign here)ca.blm.gov, fax them to (707)468-4027, or mail them to:

BLM Ukiah Field Office
2550 North State Street
Ukiah CA 95482

If you are familiar with Cow Mt., then there is a form that you can fill out, I will upload it and post it in the morning. You can say on that for that you want them to expand also, and give other ideas at the same time. They are in the process of working on how they will manage the area, and they are looking for suggestions.

I am uploading the BLM Proposed Resource Management Plan and Final Environmental Impact Statement right now, you can download and review it if you need some reading to do tonight!

http://www.parksoffroad.com/temp/BLMRMP.zip

Here are some of my past trips to Cow Mt. for your enjoyment:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/alloldtrips/cow%20mt%207-6-03/cow%20mt%207-6-03.htm
http://www.parksoffroad.com/alloldtrips/Cow%20Mt%209-11-2004/webpage/cowmt91104.htm
http://www.parksoffroad.com/alloldtrips/cowmtchallenge11-13-04/cowmtchallenge04.htm
thanks Peter, I'll see what I can come up with.

931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just emailed R. Burns:
======================================================
March 20, 2007

R. Burns
BLM Ukiah Field Office
2550 North State Street
Ukiah CA 95482

Dear R. Burns,

I am writing to voice my support toward the purchase of additional land for the Cow Mountain OHV Recreation Area. I have shared many adventures, trials and sticky/dusty (depending on the season) situations with my friends at Cow Mt. But through each of these trips, on a personal level, my friends and I have grown a lot closer around our common interest of four-wheeling; establishing greater trust and respect for both abilities as drivers and spotters, but also for each other. Not to mention all the memories we have created at Cow Mt.!

Aside, however, from the growth of personal friendships because of Cow Mt., we have also fostered a greater understanding of caring for the area which has provided so much fun and valuable lessons. Because I spend what I consider to be a substantial amount of time at Cow Mt. I appreciate the beauty of the land and environment. But I also recognize the privilege (in today’s society, unfortunately, not necessarily a right) it is to utilize public land and the further responsibility I have to abide by the notion of “Tread Lightly.”

As much as Cow Mt. is utilized by outdoor enthusiasts, I have always been impressed by the relative cleanliness of the land. It is a shame that no land receiving frequent use will ever be spotless from trash and human debris, but generally, Cow Mt. is a fairly clean place. I attribute this appearance to both dedicated efforts from BLM to maintain the land and also the general public. From individuals picking up their own trash to volunteer groups such as Santa Rosa 4x4s making an effort to keep Cow Mt. clean, wheelers from around Northern California seem to have an overall respect for the land.

The acquisition of additional protected acreage will mean more recreation opportunities in a safer environment. Crowded trails or staging areas may be reduced if people are spread over more area. Also, a third entrance off of Hwy. 175 would support the idea of spreading out the potential crowding of staging areas. On the other hand, more land may draw more people to take advantage of the privilege of public land. Whether more people enjoy the area or the same amounts of people are more spread out, it is a good thing for all involved. Additional land also protects land for public use, a growingly rare occurrence today.

Thank you for your time and efforts to maintain Cow Mt. and the principle of land for public use. My friends and I look forward to many more memories, life and wheeling lessons, less necessitated opportunities to practice our handiness with a tow rope, and a clean and larger Cow Mountain.

Sincerely,

Joel Heaps
Santa Rosa, California

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
PathBlazerTRD said:
Just emailed R. Burns:
======================================================
March 20, 2007

R. Burns
BLM Ukiah Field Office
2550 North State Street
Ukiah CA 95482

Dear R. Burns,

I am writing to voice my support toward the purchase of additional land for the Cow Mountain OHV Recreation Area. I have shared many adventures, trials and sticky/dusty (depending on the season) situations with my friends at Cow Mt. But through each of these trips, on a personal level, my friends and I have grown a lot closer around our common interest of four-wheeling; establishing greater trust and respect for both abilities as drivers and spotters, but also for each other. Not to mention all the memories we have created at Cow Mt.!

Aside, however, from the growth of personal friendships because of Cow Mt., we have also fostered a greater understanding of caring for the area which has provided so much fun and valuable lessons. Because I spend what I consider to be a substantial amount of time at Cow Mt. I appreciate the beauty of the land and environment. But I also recognize the privilege (in today’s society, unfortunately, not necessarily a right) it is to utilize public land and the further responsibility I have to abide by the notion of “Tread Lightly.”

As much as Cow Mt. is utilized by outdoor enthusiasts, I have always been impressed by the relative cleanliness of the land. It is a shame that no land receiving frequent use will ever be spotless from trash and human debris, but generally, Cow Mt. is a fairly clean place. I attribute this appearance to both dedicated efforts from BLM to maintain the land and also the general public. From individuals picking up their own trash to volunteer groups such as Santa Rosa 4x4s making an effort to keep Cow Mt. clean, wheelers from around Northern California seem to have an overall respect for the land.

The acquisition of additional protected acreage will mean more recreation opportunities in a safer environment. Crowded trails or staging areas may be reduced if people are spread over more area. Also, a third entrance off of Hwy. 175 would support the idea of spreading out the potential crowding of staging areas. On the other hand, more land may draw more people to take advantage of the privilege of public land. Whether more people enjoy the area or the same amounts of people are more spread out, it is a good thing for all involved. Additional land also protects land for public use, a growingly rare occurrence today.

Thank you for your time and efforts to maintain Cow Mt. and the principle of land for public use. My friends and I look forward to many more memories, life and wheeling lessons, less necessitated opportunities to practice our handiness with a tow rope, and a clean and larger Cow Mountain.

Sincerely,

Joel Heaps
Santa Rosa, California
damn good Joel, good to see that BA in English did something for ya! Only 63 more days till we're there!!! :camping:

·
Registered
717 Posts
joel i dont think that any of us could have said it better!

·
Registered
717 Posts
hell yeah, not that the river bed is boring, but it would be great to have some new trails to wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts