TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nor*Cal Eagle Lakes Snow Run

Half of us are back and the other half is gonna have the hellish time of getting back today. What a crazy farkin' trip. We spent from about 10:30AM until 9:00PM getting unstuck about a bizillion times...only to get people stuck again...and then REALLY stuck (Rover's are cool :rolleyes: ). Only about half fun (and I have a feeling most will concur). I'm not sure 20 something rigs are gonna be able/want to do the trip next year.

Anyway, post up the pics you've got. I didn't get any. :eek: :eek:

Also, it was good to see some new guys and meet some people I haven't met before. Including that Angry Andy guy in the blue SA truck. ;)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Guess it's good that I didn't tag along with my nearly bald stock tires...?

Sounds like a total stuckfest! COOL! (it was cold, wasn't it?) Can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I am uploading pics right now....I only have a few pics unfortunately.

That was a very fun run, despite the stuckfest.....I never ever thought it would be that bad but hey...its wheelin!!!!

I think my toes have finally defrosted :lmao:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Mr Tacomi said:
Guess it's good that I didn't tag along with my nearly bald stock tires...?

Sounds like a total stuckfest! COOL! (it was cold, wasn't it?) Can't wait to see pics!

Yes Yes and Yes :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Jeff. said:
Half of us are back and the other half is gonna have the hellish time of getting back today. What a crazy farkin' trip. We spent from about 10:30AM until 9:00PM getting unstuck about a bizillion times...only to get people stuck again...and then REALLY stuck (Rover's are cool :rolleyes: ). Only about half fun (and I have a feeling most will concur). I'm not sure 20 something rigs are gonna be able/want to do the trip next year.

Anyway, post up the pics you've got. I didn't get any. :eek: :eek:

Also, it was good to see some new guys and meet some people I haven't met before. Including that Angry Andy guy in the blue SA truck. ;)
Dang. I don't feel so bad about missing it now! I stayed home hackin' and sleeping all day. (respiratory infection. YUCK!) Hope everyone makes it home OK. Can't wait to see all the picts! (snow runs are always "hurry up and get stuck" runs. :p)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I only took a few pics.....heres the first obstacle where a few trucks where struggling with

on the way in

same spot on the way out

It actually looks worse on the way in

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Dean, sorry to hear you have kidney stones. No bueno, dude. I do too, along with two ulcers. NOT FUN. Hope you get better soon. The more water you drink, the better you'll feel...keeps 'em floating (or passing).

Take it easy.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Okay there is some 175 pics that I shoot on saturday.....ya lots of them....I picked out 45 and 4 vid's these are short but you get the point....

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
smith123tacoma said:
Okay there is some 175 pics that I shoot on saturday.....ya lots of them....I picked out 45 and 4 vid's these are short but you get the point....

link to pics?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
sorry that they are from last to first...but you get it......

:D :rofl: :xrocker: :newbie: :clap: :clap: :xsmash: :flipoff1: :flipoff2: :driving: :jawdrop:

and that sums up most of the day.........

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well, this was a really testing trip for me personally. I've been working some REALLY long hours and I'm still in the proccess of moving, so needless to say I was looking forward to a relaxing wheeling trip.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I'm not going to get pissy and point fingers at people who should not have taken their rigs down the trail so ill prepared. Instead, lets try to keep this positive and learn from the mistakes.

06Tacodestroyer: Mike, I have a hell of a lot of respect for you. You knew your rigs limits and at the first major obstacle decided to do the right thing and turn around. That was the proper thing for a stock rig to do, rather than relying on the group to get him through a trail he had no business being on. He made the right choice. Yes, I know its frustrating to drive hours to a trail head only to turn around and not get to wheel, but Mike was very wise in his decision. We'll definitely have to get together and have some brews later on. :kewl: :xbeer1:

As for order, next time we need to put the people who are camping in front of the people who are day tripping so we dont have such a headache turning everyone around. Simple, but we need to do it.

Now, as for Eric in the Land Rover. Never, ever ever ever ever ever ever ever break the golden rule. Dont wheel alone. Part of what made the recovery of your rig so difficult was the fact that we had to move you backwards to try and get a rig (capable of completing the obstacle and towing you out at the same time) around you. If you need to make it out, wait for the group. We try to stack the rigs in order. High clearance locked F&R up front, followed by a smaller rig. Followed by another capable rig, followed by another smaller rig. That way you always have someone in front of or behind you capable of helping to extract you. There is a definite method to our madness. I understand that Hollister was your first trip, and that you wont learn these things all on one trip. I also dont want you to read this thinking I'm pissed off, or riding your ass. I'm not. I just want people to be able to learn from mistakes and hopefully become smarter wheelers. Personal growth is something we should all strive for.

Secondly. There is a time for finesse and a time for hammering down. As I'm sure you're now painfully aware, next to a ravine is not the time for hammering down. I know you were upset about where you truck was sitting, but understand this: Ultimately you are the one responsible for the recovery of your vehicle. You're lucky to be with such an awesome group of people like Norcal TTORA. One thing I was trying to explain is that I, personally, will do what I can to get your rig recovered. However, I will not place myself or my equipment in danger. We are each responsible for our own gear. Go prepared, never go beyond your own driving limits, or the rigs limits.

Next weekend I'm going to pull the off my front bumper, yank the winch out and try to get Warn to warranty it. The planetary gears in the winch are fucking shot. They should do it no problem, I bought the winch new in June, so its under a year old. If anyone else wants to give me a hand I could sure use it, that ARB shit is heavy and I cant lift it on my own with the winch in.

Other than that stuff, I had a good time blasting through the slush. I sure hope the folks that were camping have a better go of it getting out than we did. :rolleyes:

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sisyphus.......Chris........Well put...........no one could have put that better.....I have all week to help with your bumper....have plans next weekend...sorry...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just got home. Those of us that stayed had no problem gettin out. Although it was quite a bit tippier today than yesterday. We heard you guys over Mikes CB last night. Didn't sound like too much fun later in the evening. Sounds like a complete stuck feast. I haven't had a chance to read all the posts so far. I will do so shortly. Just wanted to let you guys know we made it out OK. I'll post up some pics later. Gotta go unload the truck and take shower.

·
Registered
281 Posts
smith123tacoma said:
Sisyphus.......Chris........Well put...........no one could have put that better.....I have all week to help with your bumper....have plans next weekend...sorry...

X2 Well said Chris. If I am available next Sat. I will deffinitly give you a hand. Pm me with time and place.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
x3 well put Sisyphus.

and awesome pics smith123tacoma....and btw, you need a new screenname....how about we change it to smith123isuzu? :p You deserve the hammerdown award, imo...you went well outta your way with a fawked up foot and tried and tried and tried your hardest all day and into the night.

Same with Sisyphus. I know your patience was at its end....and I purposly did NOT push your buttons (the ones YOU know I know about!)....with your move and long work schedule, and PM's, I KNOW this was not what either you nor I were expecting or WANTING to see. You stuck it out with me, and never gave up (until your winch blowed up, sorry about that dude...). You are part of WHY NorCalTTORA is so awesome at persistance and never leaving someone behind (LAN is the exception!)

Davis3000 did awesome too. We thought his suspention was fawked at camp, but somehow it self corrected and repaired itself. I think he prayed to the wheeling gods and they heard him....fixed his shit for him and it was all good when we got to the 'stuckfest' and even all the way to the pavement. I should have snapped some pics of those springs and shackle angles at camp, never seen anything like it before.....strange. :confused: Anthony did awesome and really stepped up and pulled that Rover outta that ravine. Awesome job, Anthony, you LISTENED well and REACTED just as well. without your rig and skills, Rover would still be there (until Wes and his chains got there!)

I gotta agree with Sisyphus though, there were some really underprepared people. I was not aware of just how many underprepared rigs there were. Like Chris said, we SHOULD have had a MORE APPROPRIATE order in line. But we didn't....lesson learned for us all, especially for ME, I feel a little *MORE* responsible for it though.

TJKevin....I am still stunned and confused as to WHY you never let me pass when the Rover was originally stuck. I had managed to get 3-5 OTHER rigs in front of you to get off to the side, and as you got into your jeep, i asked you to move to the side so that I could get by and recover the Rover. For some reason, you decided to hammer down and attempt to cross the gnarly section....and failed. Then YOU became the primary vechile in NEED of recovery, since YOU were impeding MY progress on recoving the Rover. My plans were to strap the Rover, and tug it out, keeping the strap in place until I hit asphault....I didn't care if that Rover had his e-brake on, I was pulling that thing till i hit land. If things had gone MY way as planned, the Rover would have NEVER gotten into the gulley/ditch which took us another hour and half to recover....but that was not the case. Oh well, water under the bridge.....and it was somewhere around that point where I could no longer use *MY* equipment in the recovery process....not only way MY equipment becoming more and more damaged, but it seemed to ME that people just were not listening to what (IMO) should have been done.

That being said, in the future there will be more consideration for rig placement at the beginning of the run. When I scuba dive, all divers gather together beforehand and PLAN our dive...then we DIVE our PLAN. We did not do that here. In the future, we need to take 15 minutues and gather around, discuss our plans, and come up with a plan...then wheel accordingly.

Like Sisyphus said earlier, this was an awesome "come-together" recovery mission. I am really proud of how everything ended up. I was REALLY close to aborting it, and asking the Rover owner to call a tow truck (and I know he was close to aborting it also)....but NorCal NEVER wants to leave a rig behind....as proven here. People who were free and clear (Jeff., John, MANY others) stayed around just to help. Not that their rigs could help, but they stayed. That speaks volumes in my book.

In the end, TJKevin's winch and Davis3000's tugging got the Rover out. Major props for that.

Fun trip for me....almost wanna do it again!

·
Registered
273 Posts
This run was awesome(all things considered) !!! It was awesome to meet all of you guys and girls.....being a newbie I really learned A LOT about snow wheelin from everyone...so thank you guys and I am looking forward to the next run :D Here are a few pics and here is a link to the rest! :xrocker: :clap:
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/nickspeed1/Eagle Lakes-Stuckfest 07/
enjoy!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
wow....all that snow and you didnt expect a stuck fest??? lol Im glad I didnt end up going cause I woulda brokedid my shit trying to get out/recover/whatever.
Damn jeff on that video you sound er um excited :confused: lol those are awsome pics of the wheelstands/slush pit.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts