TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that all the Shaver Lk area trails will be open by mid July so I'm trying to plan out the 3wks I have this summer. July 9-30 is what I have to play with this year. The first week I usually head up to Edison Lk so may hit a couple trails on the way up there. After that, who knows :p
Trails:
Dusy (4-6 days incl. driving time);
Swamp Lk (2-5days incl. driving...can be run in one day but the camping/fishing is too good to pass up)...or 19hrs+ if you're from Socal :p;
Sand Flats area: West, Strawberry, Red, Coyote, Mirror lks (day runs from Sand, overnight to Coyote or Mirror, etc.)
Brewer Lk (day trip/overnight)
Bald Mt (day trip or overnight); Spanish Lk (overnight...haven't done this one yet)
Base-camping along Rock Creek Rd is often done and from there you can hit all these trails.

I wouldn't mind doing either a Dusy trip by itself (maybe north to south this time?) and/or a multi-trail run of Swamp, Brewer ..restock in Shaver and then...Mirror, Coyote. Shaver is close by so restocking food/ice/gas is pretty easy.

and then there's Rubicon and Fordyce to play with :D

33" tires, one locker, armor, spare parts, etc required. SAS on 35s, locked f/r, re-geared recommended. These trails can all be run with a well equipped IFS Tacoma but it is a serious workout :p Some minor body damage expected but not mandatory :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Swamp Lk (2-5days incl. driving...can be run in one day but the camping/fishing is too good to pass up)...or 19hrs+ if you're from Socal :p;
:lmao:, I remember that! ...Still can't believe the wife ever went wheeling with me again after that little 19-hour adventure with the SoCal crew! I'd love to get back up there for more wheeling, Chris... and its great to hear some of the more lengthy trails will be open by then. Got a big project at work coming to an end but not sure exactly when I'll get free, as they are sort of stringing me along day-to-day. If I can get away from the job and get one of the rigs ready in time, expect to see me up there somewhere. :D I'll be in touch. Also, Igor is planning to run Rubicon again this year. I am hoping to join him for that one. So you might bump into the crazy Russian up there too.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lmao:, I remember that! ...Still can't believe the wife ever went wheeling with me again after that little 19-hour adventure with the SoCal crew! I'd love to get back up there for more wheeling, Chris... and its great to hear some of the more lengthy trails will be open by then. Got a big project at work coming to an end but not sure exactly when I'll get free, as they are sort of stringing me along day-to-day. If I can get away from the job and get one of the rigs ready in time, expect to see me up there somewhere. :D I'll be in touch. Also, Igor is planning to run Rubicon again this year. I am hoping to join him for that one. So you might bump into the crazy Russian up there too.

post up any Rubicon trips you guys have, especially in July :D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some of our club members and the Forest Service are going in to Red and West this weekend to clear trail and install a culvert at the little stream half way past Red Lake. I'll be painting toilets,but this is a good indicator.

Some info on Spanish

Roughly 4-5 miles and mostly uphill,fairly steep too
Dead ends in a saddle a half mile or more before the lake
There's a big meadow near the end of the trail
Toilet we installed in 07
It's a good place to camp,just no lake
You can hike to a nearby airplane crash site

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of our club members and the Forest Service are going in to Red and West this weekend to clear trail and install a culvert at the little stream half way past Red Lake. I'll be painting toilets,but this is a good indicator.

Some info on Spanish

Roughly 4-5 miles and mostly uphill,fairly steep too
Dead ends in a saddle a half mile or more before the lake
There's a big meadow near the end of the trail
Toilet we installed in 07
It's a good place to camp,just no lake
You can hike to a nearby airplane crash site
wondered how long the FS would let that creek go w/o some work :p It did make a fun obstacle early in the year, however.

remember when you could drive to Spanish Lk...and Dinky Lakes...and Devil's Bathtub...and, and...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just to clarify. There are two creeks at Red,one while you're driving along the lake and another right before Gatekeeper at the gate. The culvert is going at the first one.

I was in high school when the wilderness closed some of the trails and had only done Swamp and Red by then,but I remember the frustrations of people that used to go to Spanish and Chain Lakes.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to clarify. There are two creeks at Red,one while you're driving along the lake and another right before Gatekeeper at the gate. The culvert is going at the first one.

I was in high school when the wilderness closed some of the trails and had only done Swamp and Red by then,but I remember the frustrations of people that used to go to Spanish and Chain Lakes.
I was thinking of the first one you cross not too far from the trial head.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want to run the con around July 8th?
I have a show Sun afternoon but could head up that night and camp at the trailhead...out Cadillac on Wed?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I don't know all the details. A member from SoCal is going to run the con that weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some of our club members and the Forest Service are going in to Red and West this weekend to clear trail and install a culvert at the little stream half way past Red Lake.
They got it installed and say it's usable now,but they will go back in and put more rock and dirt before calling it done.

Others went into Brewer and to the Swamp North gate and reported little to no snow. Nothing about when anything will open yet though.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I might head to the Con on July 8-11 (see other thread)
after that heading south to the Shaver area. As yet, no exact dates set.

Mark, you in for a run? maybe Swamp, Brewer, Mirror? I'm thinking a week to play with.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So, I might head to the Con on July 8-11 (see other thread)
after that heading south to the Shaver area. As yet, no exact dates set.

Mark, you in for a run? maybe Swamp, Brewer, Mirror? I'm thinking a week to play with.
Hey Chris! I'm interested in wheelin' with ya... If you want to do the July 8-11 and head down and throw Swamp, etc on to the end of that week, would be awesome! I guess, with the working situation, putting stuff together in a one-week (plenty of variable-ness) time frame... would allow me to put two runs with you instead of Rubi one week, Shaver area the next.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Chris! I'm interested in wheelin' with ya... If you want to do the July 8-11 and head down and throw Swamp, etc on to the end of that week, would be awesome! I guess, with the working situation, putting stuff together in a one-week (plenty of variable-ness) time frame... would allow me to put two runs with you instead of Rubi one week, Shaver area the next.
Would you rather head to Swamp on the 8th or do a Con run the first part of that week? i can work around your schedule since I'm off from the evening of the 8th through the 30th.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts