TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a last minute announcement for this weekend, but I'm heading up to Yosemite this weekend to a summer camp called San Jose Family Camp. Its a small summer camp located up near Groveland, just west of Yosemite NP.

The camp has some work parties in the spring to get the camp ready for the summer season. They need all kinds of help from plumbing, carpentry, painting, landscaping, electrical, etc. The weekend work is done on Saturday and in the morning on Sunday. I typically head up there Friday and leave in the afternoon on Sunday.

The camp has about 60 tent cabin structures with cots, many with electricity. They have full restrooms with heated showers. Its really a great place to relax and enjoy.

For the work party, it costs $10 per person, but that covers food for Friday night dinner, 3 meals Saturday, and breakfast and lunch on Sunday. The work is easy and they have plenty of jobs so you can pick what you would like to do. Its a nice lax atmosphere to work at your own pace.

If you can make it this weekend, or the one in June, let me know. This is all volunteer work and the group appreciates all the help they can get. Its a heck of a drive for me, but I look forward to it every year.

Some more info about the camp:
www.showstop.org/familycamp

Here are a few pics of the camp:

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
this looks like a great opportunity! im already commited to pulling out the HOS from Barney Riley, but ill bump this for ya.

for those few who have never been...Yosemite is quite possibly the most beautiful place on earth. and it needs our help too.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
This is kind of a last minute announcement for this weekend, but I'm heading up to Yosemite this weekend to a summer camp called San Jose Family Camp. Its a small summer camp located up near Groveland, just west of Yosemite NP.

The camp has some work parties in the spring to get the camp ready for the summer season. They need all kinds of help from plumbing, carpentry, painting, landscaping, electrical, etc. The weekend work is done on Saturday and in the morning on Sunday. I typically head up there Friday and leave in the afternoon on Sunday.

The camp has about 60 tent cabin structures with cots, many with electricity. They have full restrooms with heated showers. Its really a great place to relax and enjoy.

For the work party, it costs $10 per person, but that covers food for Friday night dinner, 3 meals Saturday, and breakfast and lunch on Sunday. The work is easy and they have plenty of jobs so you can pick what you would like to do. Its a nice lax atmosphere to work at your own pace.

If you can make it this weekend, or the one in June, let me know. This is all volunteer work and the group appreciates all the help they can get. Its a heck of a drive for me, but I look forward to it every year.

Some more info about the camp:
www.showstop.org/familycamp
working both weekends so can't make it this year :(

·
Registered
779 Posts
worked the 19th, and working the 2nd as well. but looks like a great cause! Best of Luck

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the bumps guys. I know I posted too late for the May trip and the June trip is a conflict with the Barney Riley run. No worries. I'll post this up next year and see who whats to go. In the mean time, I'll be there in June if anybody has some free time and wants to join us.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
What a minute, let me get this straight. Are you telling me that you are doing work for them and you are paying them too? Do I have that right? If so I think I have a full time job for ya. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Why would Yosemite need help?

The simple fact is that it's tramped over by millions of weenies every year who pay out the ass for it.

They take in oodles and gobs of money every damn year. An over abundance of it in fact. They rake it in at the gate and they get it from all the concessions too. Every time you pay some egregious price for anything in that park, the park service gets a cut.

The real trouble is, they are addicted to money and they can't stop pissing it away on themselves and bullshit.
That's because, like any other federally run endeavor, it's a total boondoggle run by incompetents who don't give a shit for anything but that golden retirement day. The day when they can sit on their asses while we continue to work our tails off to support them and pay for their medical care that we will never get.

At $20 just to drive through from one side to the other in an hour or so, they have had all the fucking help from me they are likely to ever get.

Wanna really help Yosemite? Tell ya what you do.
First, you start by kicking the fucking National Park Service outta there along with Park and Currey Co, and try giving the thing back to the State.

Then you take a D8 Cat into that valley and rip all of that fucking three ring circus shit outta there. Gift shops, gas stations, burger joints, stables, bike rentals, staff housing etc. etc. The whole shebang, leaving maybe only the Ahwahnee as an interpretive center. I mean take it all right back down to the dirt it's standing on.

The private sector can then build motels/hotels, restaurants etc. outside of the park gates.

That would give Yosemite the help and relief it really and truly needs while returning it to a real park setting again.

After that, visit all of the other National Parks and repeat the process. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, etc.

When you're done with all the parks, take the National Park Service out behind the barn and put a bullet through its head.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a minute, let me get this straight. Are you telling me that you are doing work for them and you are paying them too? Do I have that right? If so I think I have a full time job for ya. LOL
Yeah, I volunteer my time to help them, and the $10 pays for the meals.

Why would Yosemite need help?
This camp isnt in Yosemite NP. Its in the Stanislaus National Forest about 15 miles from the NP boundary. The camp is run by the City of San Jose and they lease the land from the Forest Service. A group of volunteers called The Friends of San Jose Family Camp (link to website) helps with prep and maintenance duties during the spring to help get the camp ready for the summer season. I've been doing this for almost 18 years. I dont mind volunteering my time to help the camp which in my mind is a really awesome camp in a beautiful location. I dont even mind the 750mi RT drive to do the work. The atmosphere up there is very enjoyable.

Dick, maybe you need to get out of the city more. Its obvious you dont want to help out, but at least get out and enjoy the wilderness more.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I want to get the wife out with me some this summer. I think she's beginning to weaken.

I'd at least give you free hot dogs and beer. LOL

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got your PM Reebles. I'm heading out to the lake this weekend. I'll send you the info on Monday night. I'll be heading up there on Friday and hopefully get to camp around 7-8pm. Get set-up and hang out Friday night. Saturday schedule is like this:
8-9am breakfast
9-12pm projects
12-1pm lunch
1-4pm projects
4-6pm freetime / social gathering
6pm-7pm dinner
Then we usually hang out around the campfire and drink, play cards and whatever. Sunday is a repeat of Saturday until lunch, and thats it.

Projects vary from carpentry, painting, kitchen/food service, plumbing, electrical, odd jobs, etc. Its all work-at-your-own-pace stuff in a relaxing atmosphere. Most people last work party got done with stuff on Saturday and had free time on Sunday.

There are a bunch of fire roads in the area if any body wants to take some time to explore. I wont have my truck, but I'm sure I can find a passenger seat somewhere. Dale should know that area well, maybe we can get him to drop by sometime while we are up there.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sounds great. I will wait for you to send me the info I need :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Still waiting on the info....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts