1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
106 Posts
If this gets pushed back to March 17-18, it is very possible I will be in Schaumberg with absolutly nothing to do. I'll keep an eye on the dates I might not have any experience with a swap such as this but I can fetch tools and lend an extra pair of hands with the best of 'em.

·
Registered
429 Posts
2nd weekend definately won't work for me. 4th weekend I might be helping Art put his OME lift on his FJ Cruiser. Let me know if its a different weekend and I will see if it works out that I can help.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:bump:

I have no problem moving this into March. Just let me know some dates that will work for you guys. I have every weekend off, so...

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've gotten the front diff retro-geared back to 4.10, now all I've got to do is get my F & R driveshafts customized, and I'll be ready to wrench - just waiting on the weather.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You said you "retro-geared" your front diff to 4.10?

Why did you do that instead of matching the rear to the front so your ratio is better?

Those hobby shops are pretty good...the one near me has shitty hours :mad:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
HairyMonkey said:
You said you "retro-geared" your front diff to 4.10?

Why did you do that instead of matching the rear to the front so your ratio is better?

Those hobby shops are pretty good...the one near me has shitty hours :mad:
:rolleyes: Here we go again...

...MY truck:
  • I'm running 32" Tires that I don't forsee upgrading any time soon.
  • I'm running the Supercharger, URD Kit, and a bunch of other performance mods that give me PLENTY of power.
  • The $2000 Tranfer Case that I had built by Inchworm; I got 5.0:1 Low Range in it.
  • The front diff that I bought had 4.88 in it. My rear is 4.10
No matter how you look at it, 4.88's are too much for my truck. Even if I wanted to regear to go up to 33" tires, I'd go with 4.56, as 4.88 would STILL be too much for MY truck! For now it's best for me to stick with the stock 4.10 gearing, regear the front ONLY (which I got a killer hook-up on), and finish my 4WD conversion rather than pissing away a lot more money to purchase F & R 4.56 gears, and then have to pay to regear both diffs.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take it easy - :shiner:

...You're just about the 50th person to ask that!

...And I wasn't being a dick - I just explained AGAIN.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The long-winded response was unnecessary. I'm simple and can understand it when someone says "that's how I want to do it" :)

WAJ....

Bump to the top to help Jamie get an assload of work done on his rig!

·
Registered
13 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
I'm going to go ahead and flash the Bat-Signal over the Mid-West.

I'm looking at doing my 4WD Conversion in mid-late March, and welcome any & all help. I would be greatful for anyone with any experience or applicable knowlege.

Destination: Great Lakes, Illinois.

The to-do list:
  • Removing stock UCA's
  • Removing stock PreRunner Spindles
  • Installing new Camburg UCA's
  • Installing 4WD Spindles w/ Aisin manual hubs
  • Installing Donahoe Racing Extended-Travel Coilovers
  • Installing front diff
  • Installing CV Shafts
  • Removing stock PreRunner drive shaft
  • Removing transmission tail housing and installing new Inchworm tail housing/adapter plate
  • Installing Inchworm Transfer Case
  • Installing FROR Twin Sticks
  • Installing front & rear drive shafts
We will also be taking lots of pics as 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine has contacted me about running a major feature (or maybe a multi-part story, to be seen over several issues) on my conversion.

This is a big job, but most of the parts are pretty much bolt-on, and I think that with a couple of capable, and knowlegable guys we COULD get this done in one day. I/We will be doing the wrenching at the Auto Hobby Shop on base, where we will be indoors, and have use of a lift, air tools, hydraulic jacks, etc, etc.

I am very flexible on the dates, and I'd be willing to move the dates back to accommodate you guys' schedules if you're willing to help out. I'll also buy food and drink (beer), or whatever.

Any Volunteers?

Adam?
Josh?
Berry?
Matt?
Chris King?
Dick Foster?

Anybody? :dunno:

I'm looking for some good place around Illinois to go wheeling...I'd trade some labor/knowledge for a chance to go wheeling with some of you other guru's.
Let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts