TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else interested in going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in March?

North Rim Adventure - Toyota Owners Special
Max Vehicles: 5 (Not all still available)
Cost: $375 per vehicle
Details: March 17-19, 2007 (3 days)

The Grand Canyon Nation Park Service estimates that less then 10% of the 3.4 million annual tourists visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It is a fair guess that the vast majority of that 10% use the developed North Rim facilities provided by the Park Service. Join Badlands Off-Road Adventures as we explore other remote areas of the Grand Canyon's North Rim. At one point on our journey, the closest access to any civilization is over 60 miles away on poor dirt roads that take many hours to traverse. The few people, who live in this area, rely on solar power and use radios or satellite phones for communication.

Plan on spending 3 days and 2 nights working your way to (and back from) the one of the most magnificent views from the North Rim. This is one of the narrowest and deepest sections of Grand Canyon. You will be able to stand within inches of a 3000 foot vertical drop into the canyon (if you choose). The Park Service has made a decision to not develop the roads or facilities in this area and to "manage the area for its primitive values". Needless to say, we need to bring everything for survival with us, including extra gas. Along the way, we will enjoy the beauty of the mountains, valleys, forests, and streams as we navigate trails that are rated 3 or 4 (out of 10) when they are dry. The rating is at least 1 point (and more likely 2 points) higher in difficulty when they are wet. (MUCH MORE AND PICTURES, SEE LINK BELOW....)
All the info here:
Grand Canyon Info

Registration Info Here:
Register

·
Registered
639 Posts
How many spots are still available and how soon do you need a decision? I've never been to the Grand Canyon and I couldn't think of a better way to see it.

931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cell4soul said:
How many spots are still available and how soon do you need a decision? I've never been to the Grand Canyon and I couldn't think of a better way to see it.
I believe there are 3 spots left. I dont think there is a deadline anytime soon since its still a month and a half away, but once they are filled thats it.

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
TRD4ME / PARKSOFFROAD.COM said:
Anyone else interested in going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in March?

North Rim Adventure - Toyota Owners Special
Max Vehicles: 5 (Not all still available)
Cost: $375 per vehicle
Details: March 17-19, 2007 (3 days)

All the info here:
Grand Canyon Info

Registration Info Here:
Register
Pete
that looks way cool :)

why is the cost $375 per Vehicle?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
tacodab said:
Pete

to pay Peter's expenses ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Whats going on with you guys? :confused:
$375 is alot of money. Especially when I've already spent all my money building my truck to get me there and back. At this point, a map is as good as a guide; I got a wife if I need somebody to talk to.

Looks cool though, definately tucking North Rim in the vacation file.

931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tacodab said:
Pete

Its a guided trip, thats what they charge. They actually offer a number of trips and also do drivers clinics etc..

I know that a lot of people wont pay for runs, what gets me is that is seems that jeep owners are willing to pay for runs / events but toyota owners are not. Winter Fun that we went to in January is a perfect example. 9 out of 10 rigs are jeeps, the rest are toyotas, fords etc. It seems that all of the Cal4Wheel events are this way. Wonder if its true in other parts of the country or if its a cali thing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
the canyon sounds like fun. But this one is probably more reasonable for people and more local.

Wine Safari
Max Vehicles: 12
Cost: $275 per vehicle

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'll agree that its more local.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
MrSammi said:
There is a difference between not getting lost, and getting the most out of an experience... $0.02
Everybody has their version of an adventure- I just hesitate to call some peoples version an adventure at all :2cents:

However, pulling in 4 grand for three days of leading trails... I might call that an adventure. I'm in the wrong line of work- GCNP isn't exactly the Congo.

931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wes said:
Everybody has their version of an adventure- I just hesitate to call some peoples version an adventure at all :2cents:

However, pulling in 4 grand for three days of leading trails... I might call that an adventure. I'm in the wrong line of work- GCNP isn't exactly the Congo.
Where exactly are you getting the "4 grand" figure? When I do $375 times 5 I get $1875.

Guess we will see. Since I have never been on one of their trips I dont know for sure, but I am guessing that they will take us to places that most people would never find or see, thats the benefit of having a guide.

They also do a Mojave Road trip, and if their GC trip is good that the next trip I want to take next.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sorry, I thought I saw 10 rigs somewhere...
Should be lots of fun.

Where exactly are you getting the "4 grand" figure? When I do $375 times 5 I get $1875.

Guess we will see. Since I have never been on one of their trips I dont know for sure, but I am guessing that they will take us to places that most people would never find or see, thats the benefit of having a guide.

They also do a Mojave Road trip, and if their GC trip is good that the next trip I want to take next.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

Dont pay for a Mojave Rd. trip, just come down on a weekend when im free and I'll guide you. Dont expect anything extreme though, its scenic, historic, but tame.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I've been to the North Rim a couple times, WAAAAY more scenic than the South Rim IMHO. It is a very stark contrast to the "deserty" south rim, being a Pondersoa Pine forest.

I'm with the others though, I can think of much better things to do with $375 (like donate it to Stay the Trail, blue ribbon, or Tread Lightly!) so that trails close to home stay open...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
tacodab said:
I would be down for that :)
Seriously. Long drive though- what, 9 hours to get there?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts