TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of relocating to North Texas. I don't know alot about it, a friend turned me towards Mckinney because of the school districts. I've traveled there for about 7 days and the wife and I love it. Does anyone recommend an area that has land atleast 1/2 acre plus. I have toys that I want to bring with me, but didn't see to much land. I still want the texas value so no expensive southlake homes(so I heard). Does anyone know if there is spot building going on up there? I build about 5 homes a year here in CA and would like to do the same. thank you

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Don't know what spot building is, but there's plenty of affordable land all over Texas, including near the DFW area. Don't know much about the price of land near McKinney, but there's lots of acreage for sale in Ellis, Kaufman and Johnson counties, just to the south, southeast and southwest of Dallas, respectively. If you're looking for good school districts, I don't know which ones they are, but I can tell you that Lancaster's school district (just south of Dallas in Dallas County) is pretty pitiful.

Anyway, you might want to PM Cedarbarn (Matt) about the home building situation around here. He works in that industry in DFW and can probably give you a good indication of what it's like around North Texas.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to add. If off-roading is very big in your life, you will be sorely disappointed with the amount and kind of off-roading available in Texas compared to what's available in California.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live in Ellis county and I am in the construction field(countertops). We work with a lot of builders. You can basically buy a mansion in Texas for the price you would pay for a 1500sq.ft house in Cali.

Ennis is real nice, and Midlothian is nice too. They are starting to build a lot in my town, retail and stuff, which is really making the area crowded. :(

Our house is really nice and is about 2600sq.ft, sitting on exactly an acre of land. It's 10 yrs. old and it is worth about 190-200k, just to give you an idea on house pricing. It's actually gone up in value, it was 140k when we bought it back in '97.

If your into small communities and having some land, you might look around here. I will say that the schools are not the best, compared to McKinney or Southlake, if that is real important for you. But it is very laid back down here, compared to the area you are talking about. Ennis is prolly the best area arond here. The area I'm at is about 20 min. away from Dallas, right off of 35. Easy access to the highway and Dallas.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
equin said:
Oh, and I forgot to add. If off-roading is very big in your life, you will be sorely disappointed with the amount and kind of off-roading available in Texas compared to what's available in California.
Yuppers... no Pismo sand here :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lived in Cali for 29 years...I chose Frisco, because you can get some nice higher end homes here, some of the lowest taxes in DFW, great schools, and lots of shopping/infrastructure. Plus, home values tend to appreciate here year after year unlike a lot of other areas.

Everyone has their preference...best to get a Mapsco map book and start exploring.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
deserttrd4x said:
is there anywhere to take the quads and bikes out? Sandrail? Boating?
There are plenty of lakes nearby for boating - Joe Pool Lake at Cedar Hill State Park, Lake Lewisville, Grapevine Lake, Lake Ray Hubbard, etc. And although there are more quad and bike private ORV parks than there are 4x4 ORV parks, it's still disappointingly dismal compared to Cali.

·
Registered
441 Posts
As far as offroading goes it depends what he is into. There is actually quite a few places to go to for mud and hills around longview and marshall. No rocks or sand dunes though.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Hell, why would someone gto to Longview to fart around in a mud pit when BMRA is right next door... rocks and all? :rolleyes:

I think the consensus is that North Dallas is a little more of the 'typical suburban' profile, while South Dallas is more of the 'rural homestead' atmosphere.

Where you will be working or likely to find work would be your primary motivator I would think... driving around the metroplex sucks all around, so anything you can do to shorten your commute leaves you more time to enjoy your new home wtih your family.

Stop by here: www.toyotatrailriders.com if you end up here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are TONS of new nice homes going up around the Weatherford/Granbury area. Thats why i like to stick to tolar...haha, i dont like large towns.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
J.W. said:
There are TONS of new nice homes going up around the Weatherford/Granbury area. Thats why i like to stick to tolar...haha, i dont like large towns.
I drive through Tolar about twice a month, can it even be called a town, looks more like a cluster of misplaced buildings.

·
Registered
314 Posts
valkyrie said:
Hell, why would someone gto to Longview to fart around in a mud pit when BMRA is right next door... rocks and all? :rolleyes:

I think the consensus is that North Dallas is a little more of the 'typical suburban' profile, while South Dallas is more of the 'rural homestead' atmosphere.

Where you will be working or likely to find work would be your primary motivator I would think... driving around the metroplex sucks all around, so anything you can do to shorten your commute leaves you more time to enjoy your new home wtih your family.

Stop by here: www.toyotatrailriders.com if you end up here.
X2. I agree with Chris, the driving and traffic sucks. Its not as bad as some places, but most try to live close to where they will be working. I live in Waxahachie, 30 miles south of dallas, and its growing too much. The pop is only 26,000 or so, but the other day after work it took me 20 min to get from the bank to Target which is barely a 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mansfield and the South Arlington area isn't bad but you are going to have to drive to what little wheeling there is around. Take up fishing, buy yourself a nice big ol bass boat and a big house and your monthlies will still be cheaper than rent in Cali.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
7wt
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing