TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, well i haven't been a taco owner for over a year now (traded in my 2003 dcab to get a bmw 325i). with the new 2005 out i'm starting to get the itch again. i've been searching the options for canadians but they seem very limited. i need a dcab auto, but there is no rear locker available, just the lsd. also, there is only the long bed available for dcab autos (dcab manual only come with short bed). is there any way to get the setup i want. has any of the canadian members atleast seen dcab auto w/ off-road pkg and short bed (60").

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
We most likely won't get all the options until next year. Canadian Taco's also don't get all the traction aids like VSC, DAC, HSAC, ect. I bought an 05 ext. cab with the TRD package loaded and thats the only way I could get the electric rear locker. The double cabs don't get the locker option. I think that it's only an option on the short bed versions which we don't get. When I bought mine the dealer told me that availability would very limited in Canada for the first year of production. Toyota wants to fill the demands of the American market first.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
tbrown said:
We most likely won't get all the options until next year. Canadian Taco's also don't get all the traction aids like VSC, DAC, HSAC, ect. I bought an 05 ext. cab with the TRD package loaded and thats the only way I could get the electric rear locker. The double cabs don't get the locker option. I think that it's only an option on the short bed versions which we don't get. When I bought mine the dealer told me that availability would very limited in Canada for the first year of production. Toyota wants to fill the demands of the American market first.
FWIW, I've seen half a dozen D-Cabs with the shortbed with the electric locker here in Calgary, with 6sp tranny tho.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
That's cool, I just looked through the broucher and on the Toyota web site and they don't even offer that option here in Ontario. Maybe Toyota figures the demand for that model is greater in Alberta. Who knows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How can you tell they have the electric locker?
If this option was available in AB, I would have drove there from Saskatoon to get it. I bought a D-cab Sport with an LSD. I'm pretty sure there is no locker available on the D-cabs in Canada. This is pretty common practice with Toyota, Canada gets about half of the model availibility. It was like this for the lifespan of the previous generation taco as well.

C

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
canopypilot said:
If this option was available in AB, I would have drove there from Saskatoon to get it. I bought a D-cab Sport with an LSD. I'm pretty sure there is no locker available on the D-cabs in Canada. This is pretty common practice with Toyota, Canada gets about half of the model availibility. It was like this for the lifespan of the previous generation taco as well.

C
I've seen D-cabs with the e-locker here in Cowtown. To tell if it has the e-locker, there will be a push button switch to the left of the steering wheel, below the cluster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
canopypilot said:

C
So yours is a long bed (72")? Did you have the option of the short bed (60")? I wish I could get the 6-speed then there wouldn't be any problems. Maybe my wife could learn.....probably not. I may have to buy my truck in the US then. I just hate paying taxes twice. :(

·
Registered
348 Posts
mudferret said:
I've seen D-cabs with the e-locker here in Cowtown. To tell if it has the e-locker, there will be a push button switch to the left of the steering wheel, below the cluster.
I'm in Calgary too and I have seen a bunch too. All shortbed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mountainpete said:
I'm in Calgary too and I have seen a bunch too. All shortbed.
Really?! Do you mind giving the name of one of the dealers in Alberta that have the DCabs w/ lockers. I want to find out how they got these and how I can get one. Thanks!

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
If you can get them in Calgary then you must be able to get them in Ontario. I would call your local dealer and bug him. My friend works at a Toyota dealer, maybe I'll give him a call and see what he says. I'm not far from you. I live in Sarnia. I'll see what he says, and re-post.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tbrown said:
If you can get them in Calgary then you must be able to get them in Ontario. I would call your local dealer and bug him. My friend works at a Toyota dealer, maybe I'll give him a call and see what he says. I'm not far from you. I live in Sarnia. I'll see what he says, and re-post.

That would be great. Thanks! Availability in Windsor sucks because everyone wants you to drive a North American truck. I had to go to Sarnia or London just to check out the Subaru dealership because there isn't one in Windsor.

·
Registered
348 Posts
WindsorTaco said:
Really?! Do you mind giving the name of one of the dealers in Alberta that have the DCabs w/ lockers. I want to find out how they got these and how I can get one. Thanks!
I saw most of them in parking lots (probably because the dealerships pre-sold them). But you might want to try High River Toyota or Canyon Creek. High River is about 30 mins south of Calgary but their service & parts are second to none.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Just called my friend at the dealership, and you can't get the 4x4 short bed here yet. He said he doubts that you can get them in Alberta because the dealer invoice books that are distributed to them are "Toyota Canada distribution books" and there is no difference from province to province. The books they recieve list price plus tax and it's broken down by province. He said the only option at least for the next 6 months will be the 6 foot long bed. He said to try and call a dealer outside the province but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can only tell you what I saw... and that's a 2005 Double Cab TRD shortbed with an electric locker. (now you got me second guessing myself! I might have to take a drive and look around tonight)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine's a shortbed(60") 6 spd double cab sport package. If you want a long bed in a d-cab, you have to buy an auto or a prerunner(but they are auto too).

C

1 - 15 of 15 Posts