TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the threads on here and CT and YT, and I am not as concerned with what it takes to fit a certain seat into a Taco, but how they feel. My problem is my lower back, and I almost bought a nice set of Celica seats from a CT member, but then I found out that it didn't have a lumbar adjustment.
What seat offers the best lumbar adjustment, either power or manual? Has anyone tried the Wet Okole covers with the lumbar adjustment? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
AustinTaco said:
I have been reading the threads on here and CT and YT, and I am not as concerned with what it takes to fit a certain seat into a Taco, but how they feel. My problem is my lower back, and I almost bought a nice set of Celica seats from a CT member, but then I found out that it didn't have a lumbar adjustment.
What seat offers the best lumbar adjustment, either power or manual? Has anyone tried the Wet Okole covers with the lumbar adjustment? Thanks!

Just a thought, but I always wanted to swap in some celica seats until I was driving my parents' Subaru Forester this past weekend. It has heated seats, and it felt too good to put into words. For back problems, I could only imagine it would be heaven. So my seat swap crusade is now narrowed down to seats with heat. Why not, right?

--Scott

·
Registered
217 Posts
you might try cuting a piece of foam and putting it under a seat cover. the foam is cheap and you can get at most craft stores. is you want somthing adjustable Beard sells them. but i've never tryed them

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's actually a good idea. I wonder how much foam I could put in without the end result looking cheap. The celica seats I looked at actually had removeable seat covers. Maybe I should reconsider these?hmmmm

·
Registered
201 Posts
Id say thats your cheap option. I opted for the more expensive option and purchased some power leather seats w/ lumbar adjustment out of a 99 4runner Limited. Other than having to swap out the two outside bracket feet from my tacoma bench over to my 4runner buckets, wiring the power & ground wires in, and swapping out the female side of your seatbelts.... My time and efforts have more than paid off in relieving my back pain caused by the horribly uncomfortable bench seats! The swap was definitely worth it!

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking for some nice power 4runner seats. From what I can tell and what I have read, they seem to offer more lumbar support than their manual counterparts. However, if someone knows what they are worth they are going to ask for it, and if they don't know their worth(some salvage yards) they have let them sit in the sun and get rained on(idiots!). I might go back to the Solara seats that I wrote about in an earlier post..assuming the guy still has them.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Our old SC300 had some good lumbar adjustment And were heated leather.

You cant adjust em on my favorite seats but the MK2 gti 16v recaros are so comfortable. I have a lot of back problems from a car wreck i was in and they are about the only seat i dont cramp up or get really sore in after about 20minutes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I found a nice set of LEXUS seats out of a GS, but not sure if you're in the area, or even up for the task of fabbing the brackets. You can check it out if you like...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/248683746.html
As for how much you'll be spending on seats... Id say you're looking at anywhere from $150-$300 depending on where you source your seats from. I check the local listings of www.craigslist.org for parts, and is where I found mine. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions...

·
Registered
984 Posts
The best seat ergonomics, in descending order of quality, would be:

- Aftermarket: Recaro or König (aka Koenig / Konig)

- OEM non-Toyota: European (German / Scandinavian): Volvo, Saab, BMW, Audi, VW's with OEM Recaros

If you're patient, you can find used Recaros on eBay and get Recaro ergonomics at a 50+ percent discount.

The foam insert approach *does* work. I had a relatively modest Recaro seat reupholstered for my passenger side and had the upholsterer add about 1" thickness of foam in the lumbar area. That seat now offers lower lumbar support as comfortable as what I get on my Recaro Orthoped with the dual pneumatic lumbars.

Another tip ... If it's your lower back / lumbar that's damaged, you can help keep it pain-free by elevating / supporting your thighs. Longer bottom cushions (front-to-back) and thigh support extensions help by supporting your upper legs without having to 'hold them up' using muscle groups that end up drawing on your lower back.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that I have the money to get the seats, I am going crazy checking ebay and craigslist. Some of the options and walls I have run into are: I am definitely getting new seats. Even if I added lumbar support, it wouldn't help the sore butt syndrome for both driver and passenger. I found some really nice Honda Accord seats that look like the integra GSR seats, but I can't find solid info on how much work it would take to get them in.Anyone do Accord seats?
I have also read that the old Supra style seats are way comfortable and there is a seat locally for $50 in red that I could have redone. That would be old School Toyota and different. For now, I am looking for 4runner power leather seats, GSR seats with lumbar from 98+, and I have my eye on some nice ones out of a Saab.
I will take pics when I get them in and rolling. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
AustinTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing