TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 86 pup 22ret stahled out then when I went to start it spun too fast. Now I got it home and see that the belts are spining and it's getting spark so how do I check if it's getting fuel? Thanks Jon

·
Registered
328 Posts
thehopping1 said:
My 86 pup 22ret stahled out then when I went to start it spun too fast. Now I got it home and see that the belts are spining and it's getting spark so how do I check if it's getting fuel? Thanks Jon
Kind of confused by some of your question,
1: if your belts are spinning, try tightening your alternator!
2: check fuses first, if your not gettin fuel, check, filter, relay for fuel pump (if your year has em) and then fuel pump.. It's been awhile since I had a 22rat motor.... Good luck...J :saw:

I just saw your second post.. I gotta think about this now , ya got fuel, spark, belts are tight? hmmmmmm... I am not an engine guru by any means,, I am more into the welding fab side of the house!! sorry if I am no help :confused:

edit: you meant the belts are turning properly, I thought pullys were spinning? duhhhh!

·
Registered
328 Posts
go back to fuses, and check all your plug wires to distributor, if neccessary get new distributor wires and voltage regulator, (I think that year has a voltage regulator??) if ya got fuel and spark, all I can think of besides the aforementioned is starter, but it's turning over and not going click, click? right?

edit: just did a FSM search for your year and here's the results: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1255678

I thought I would let ya weed through the posts...Jeff :welder:

·
Registered
328 Posts
how'd ya check for spark? are all 4 gettin spark... I am guessing ya took em out pluged em in and set on head?? :confused: these next 2 may be irrelivent though? Have ya checked the intake filter ? Battery reads 12.?? on a volt meter??? Maybe alternator??

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Check for bad grounds and wires shorting out on the frame or other truck parts. The same symptoms that you're describing happened on my brothers car this summer. Took me like over half a day straight of troubleshooting it with a multimeter before I tracked it down to a wire coming from the ECU that had worn through its sheathing and was shorting out on the frame.

On top of what I just mentioned... How did you check for fuel pressure? Most vehicles can be tested by running direct power to the fuel pump through a fuel pump test port in the engine bay. Also make sure that your fuel filter isn't clogged.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked spark on the reer 2 plugs by grounding to valve cover. For fuel I disconected the fuel line at the intake. It's just weird that it spins and is getting gas air and spark, the valvs are moving. That should be all the ingrediants. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valve cover is off and the timing chain is a litle loose. My roomate said he needs to know if it's an interference or noninterference motor.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds like ya got some trouble shooting to do, look for chaffed wires, since it's an 86' that's very possible.. I've mentioned everything that I can think of.. Good luck bro!! Jeff

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got the valve cover off(syllicone sucks) and the chain is a little loose and theres some broken metal possibly a broken tensioner. :( Looks like no wheelin for me today.Thanks for all your help though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
thehopping1
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing