TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been off roading my whole life with pretty much stock vehicles. Now that I've been on TTORA for a while I have gotten the bug to modify my 01 extensively, and its going to cost about $8,000-ish to get it where I want.

I can't afford to do this right now and I can't wait either, so selling my firebird becomes a viable option. It has a streetable 450 hp from the 428 and is almost perfect.(shitty pics below) I love the car but I don't really drive it because I'm not out to impress the ladys (already got the girl) and its thrills pale in comparison to a bike.

When I talk to my friends about selling it they want to choke me, and say that I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Maybe even cry as I watch some dude drive away in it.

It does seem stupid to sell something that only appreciates in value for something that will be destroyed in the mountains.

My own mind is tainted with the thought of ARB lockers, 285's, c/o's, armor, winch, bla, bla, etc..... so I need help on what I should do. Sell or be patient? I understand that all of you have twisted minds also, but your opinions will mean more than the people who have no desire to wheel.

here's the bitch:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Here's the truck:
[/IMG]

So what the hell would you do? the car should go for atleast $20,000 I would think.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
007 said:
I've been off roading my whole life with pretty much stock vehicles. Now that I've been on TTORA for a while I have gotten the bug to modify my 01 extensively, and its going to cost about $8,000-ish to get it where I want.

I can't afford to do this right now and I can't wait either, so selling my firebird becomes a viable option. It has a streetable 450 hp from the 428 and is almost perfect.(shitty pics below) I love the car but I don't really drive it because I'm not out to impress the ladys (already got the girl) and its thrills pale in comparison to a bike.

When I talk to my friends about selling it they want to choke me, and say that I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Maybe even cry as I watch some dude drive away in it.

It does seem stupid to sell something that only appreciates in value for something that will be destroyed in the mountains.

My own mind is tainted with the thought of ARB lockers, 285's, c/o's, armor, winch, bla, bla, etc..... so I need help on what I should do. Sell or be patient? I understand that all of you have twisted minds also, but your opinions will mean more than the people who have no desire to wheel.

here's the bitch:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Here's the truck:
[/IMG]

So what the hell would you do? the car should go for atleast $20,000 I would think.
sell the Taco and SAS the car :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
keep the car and pass it on to your future children, ie a family heirloom that will mean more to them than an eventually beat to hell 4x4 truck...

IMHO

·
Registered
398 Posts
i know alot of people would say sell it to buy stuff for the truck. but i'm going to say be paitent and keep it. that is a classic and its too immaculate to be sold. you can always buy parts for the truck and in the end, you will beat teh hell out of your truck, but nothing will happen to happen to the car b/c you dont drive it that much.
what happens when you run out of the money you got from selling the car. you will end up with teh truck stuff quicker, but you will be minus a VERY nice car.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would have to agree with your friends on this one. As much as I like taking my truck out to play, and as much as I would like to do more things to it, eventualy I would be kicking myself in the ass for selling that car.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Im not really a car guy, but I can understand the attachment. I say sell the Taco and buy a beater Toy and use the difference in price to build it or buy a prebuilt rig.

·
Registered
458 Posts
007 said:

I'd work overtime, get a second job, sell blood... BUT NOT SELL THE CAR! You will not get out of it what it's worth TO YOU... and you also will not be able to GET IT BACK (not likely anyways...) People say they will hang on to this or that vehicle forever... blah blah blah... but today's plastic cars, won't hang for that long... your Firebird WILL outlast (provided you continue to take excellent care of her) most everything that's on the road today.... Sure that car has value... but it will increase in value, and will become quite a legacy in your family... I've known SO many folks that totally regret this decision... and some of them had to sell for dire reasons... selling to pay for modifications to a vehicle that is going to get destroyed... bad idea... just take the time with your Taco and mod it as you can afford! Cheers!

·
Registered
130 Posts
DO NOT SELL THAT CAR!!! My dream car has always been a 69 Camaro SS Z-28 with the body like yours. That is an awesome looking car you have--hold onto it and give it to a son someday so he can pick up the ladies

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Punch yourself in the nuts for even thinking about selling that car!!!!!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Keep the car, be patient with the mods. There is a lot to be learned by "growing into" the truck. IMHO, you do yourself a disservice by jumping straight into a super-built rig.

Do armor and wheel the crap out of it, then progress from there. Have a plan on exactly how you're going to build the truck and don't spend money on stuff you're gonna cut off later (like lift if you think you'll need a SAS eventually)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
dude i love that car. dont sell that! those are probably pretty rare as flawless as it is.

if u do decide to sell it, ill go in debt and work 3 jobs and buy it lol

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
so i just noticed u have like 7 vehicles:

2006 DBL CAB TRD 6spd
2001 REG Cab 5spd
1976 Corolla SR5 Coupe
1972 Corolla Coupe
1972 Dodge Van..... thats right bitches
1967 Firebird 428ci.
2004 CRF450

damn. u pick the firebird to sell?

sell the van. and the corollas.

·
Registered
967 Posts
gregers05 said:
so i just noticed u have like 7 vehicles:

2006 DBL CAB TRD 6spd
2001 REG Cab 5spd
1976 Corolla SR5 Coupe
1972 Corolla Coupe
1972 Dodge Van..... thats right bitches
1967 Firebird 428ci.
2004 CRF450

damn. u pick the firebird to sell?

sell the van. and the corollas.

Gonna have to agree. DON'T SELL THE CAR!!! Sell some of the other cars or just save your money over time.

You'll kick yourself later when the truck is long gone.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Like everyone else don't sell that car. Keep it and pass it down. If anything sell some of the other cars. Just buy stuff for your truck over time, then that way deals may come up and you could get items for cheaper. I hate to say it because I really don't have but PATIENCE. All good things come in time. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
KEEP THE CAR!!! I have been a similar situation, my car wasn't in nearly that good of condition but I sold it and regret it everyday

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies and the great advice. SAS the bird it is!!! :rolleyes:

you guys made some great points and the firebird will stay. Since you guys don't get to ride in the car I feel your opinions are unbiased and logical. But if you're ever in Montana give me a shout and we'll go light em' up in the bird!

As far as selling the other vehicles goes:

1976 corolla is my rally car.........can't give up that
1972 corolla is my auto-x car..... can't give up that
1972 utility van is the pit truck....need it for racing cars and bikes
2006 dbl cab taco is the shit! .....The fiance already considers it her truck!!!
2001 reg cab bought it new.........too attached, this model was ment for me
crf450.....................................would only sell it for a KTM450!

so I guess I will have to be patient and like redrunnertc said, the longer I wait the more I will learn and know what I want. This makes sense and in 5-7 years when I can't race bikes I'll be able to invest a lot more time and money into the truck. This will motivate me to go make more money and sell my blood :eek:

So thanks again for talking some sense into me, I really would have felt bad showing my future kids pictures of what I gave up.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'll trade you the car for a built Taco with ARB's, armour, 33's, winch etc. That way you get an offroader and your car will still be relatively close to you. ...Steve

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SteveO said:
I'll trade you the car for a built Taco with ARB's, armour, 33's, winch etc. That way you get an offroader and your car will still be relatively close to you. ...Steve
O.k. but I'll expect the keys back when I come up to the rocky mountain rally and the speedway this summer! lol:D I love Calgary, and most of Canada. If I ever move i'll probably head there.

I saw in your pic's that you had some bikes loaded up, do you race any
x-country or enduro events?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts