348 Posts
IPF 968's to HID? Really? Very cool!

How did you do it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Front view

First I had to make a little room for the bulb. I made a notch with my dremel for the bulbs rigid wire.

Then I had to make room in the back of the light.

I mounted the balasts under my rack.

I got these HID conversions off ebay from Blinglights. Just search for 50 watt HID. They are pricey but much cheaper than the Lightforce 50 watt HID lights.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
damn 400 bucks?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Man, Beat me to it! I was thinking using some Hella's with H1 conversion kits from ebay. Found some for 110 shipped, + gotta get the Hella's of your choice... Decided on the Hella's because it seems like they'd be direct replacement without modifying the light housing itself. I like the IPF's I had though...

Recently, I've also seen some ebayers with "converted HID off road lights" consisting of Hella housings + plus some cheep ebay HID conversion kit already installed. They're selling them for about 400+.

Great modding! Defiantly much better then 1000 bucks for a set of factory HID off road lights!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
get me some Mr. Zero.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, Beat me to it! I was thinking using some Hella's with H1 conversion kits from ebay. Found some for 110 shipped, + gotta get the Hella's of your choice... Decided on the Hella's because it seems like they'd be direct replacement without modifying the light housing itself. I like the IPF's I had though...

Recently, I've also seen some ebayers with "converted HID off road lights" consisting of Hella housings + plus some cheep ebay HID conversion kit already installed. They're selling them for about 400+.

Great modding! Defiantly much better then 1000 bucks for a set of factory HID off road lights!
I also have some hella lights on the way to be converted too. Both flood and spot. I will have 3 pair of lights (spot, driving/spot, and flood) in front with 50 watt HID in each and a pair of flood lights in the rear converted to the normal 35 watt HID.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i gotta tell you guys.been friends with this fucker for years.he does some good work when he puts his mind to it.the pics dont do these lights justice.bright as hell.now im going to do it to my hella 500 spot/driving lights.doubt ill do the 50watt,probaly the 35 will be good enough.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yea that is some serious light output, well done!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i gotta tell you guys.been friends with this fucker for years.he does some good work when he puts his mind to it.the pics dont do these lights justice.bright as hell.now im going to do it to my hella 500 spot/driving lights.doubt ill do the 50watt,probaly the 35 will be good enough.
What are you trying to say? Most of the other time I have my head up my a$$?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
yes,you need to install some plexi glass in your stomach so you can see were your going when you have your head up your ass.other than that,good job

·
Registered
348 Posts
Taz,

What are your thoughts on water resistance with that kit and the whole conversion process? Are you planning on doing some extra waterproofing or do you think it's pretty solid as is?

I would love to convert my IPF's to HID, but I'm worried that the balasts will be destroyed at the first serious water crossing (I have my lights on my ARB).

Pete

·
Registered
338 Posts
Taz,

What are your thoughts on water resistance with that kit and the whole conversion process? Are you planning on doing some extra waterproofing or do you think it's pretty solid as is?

I would love to convert my IPF's to HID, but I'm worried that the balasts will be destroyed at the first serious water crossing (I have my lights on my ARB).

Pete
I was wondering the same thing about its resistance to the elements. Are they waterproof or resistant? Do you think they can be modified to have longer wires to relocate the balast to a remote location?

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
I have VisionX HID replacements for my headlights and the ballasts are mounted right behind my grill. They are constantly exposed to water in the rain and on the trails and they have not failed me yet. They have been on there for about 3 years going strong.

Jason

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
im pretty sure hes going to silicone the holes to prevent any water getting in.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.