TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So use, two front dana 60's. Order low pinion gears for the front, and high pinion gears for the rear axle?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bear said:
So use, two front dana 60's. Order low pinion gears for the front, and high pinion gears for the rear axle?
Nope if you have 2 low pinion dana 60 fronts order 2 sets of low pinion gears.
If you have 1 high pinion front axle(order 1 set of high pinion gears for this axle), and 1 low pinion front axle (order 1 set of low pinion gears for this axle).
You should only use high pinion gears in a high pinion axle and only use low pinion gears in a low pinion axle no matter if you mount them in the front or rear.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
sorry to :deadhors: but I want to make sure and not burn the money on gears or have to rethink the same problem further down the road.

It does not matter what direction the axle is traveling, the same set of gears will work? Coast side of gears does not come into play?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bear said:
sorry to :deadhors: but I want to make sure and not burn the money on gears or have to rethink the same problem further down the road.

It does not matter what direction the axle is traveling, the same set of gears will work? Coast side of gears does not come into play?
When you put any low pinion axle in the front the gears are opperating on the coast side while driving forward. This is one reason some people use the high pinion in the front is becasue they are setup to use the drive side when going forward. Not to worry though many people low pinion front diffs and have no problems at all. In fact some prefer to have the low pinion up front becasue it is stronger when going in reverse and they feel they would like the extra strength for reversing. I think with a dana 60 you'd be hard pressed to break a low pinion 60 going forward, (when they are on the coast side.) You'd have to be really getting it! :xdevil: :D
But it doesn't matter if you put a D60 in the front or the rear, all low pinions will use the same low pinion gears and all high pinions will use the same high pinion gears regaurdless of if it's the rear axle or the front axle.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
PappaF2 said:
What are you talking about?
I confused myself overthinking the low pinion flip.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hagan34 said:
well sounds like you got some work ahead of you. You know a n IFS/IRS buggy would be cool. with rear strearing of course. I bet i can even help you find the extra IFS to use for the rear :D
I am leary of setting up the 4 link and now you want me to IRS as well? Hell no!

BTW how is your project coming along? I was thinking about it the other day

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yogiaz said:
Personally.... I think for a teenage son... you should stick with a basic Dana 60 with no rear steer. I dont see the point with somebody new at driving and crawling. Im sure riding / driving with you he has some expierence, hell... I let my 11 year olds drive my truck through some pretty fun stuff. But on his own... just stick with the no steer rear end.

IMO

Yogi
Ronn, you should know by now I fully respect your opinions. With that being said, I also relate to what you are saying.

Cub#2 is 13 years old. probably by the time this is finished he will be at least 15 years old. I actually figured on letting him take the wheel of my taco the next time we go out (hell he is taller than I am already).

But here is the gliche in my thinking. Even when he is behind the wheel of the "buggy" he will never be out of my sight. Meaning he will have strick. I mean STRICK instructions on what to do and how to do it. As it is now, he is always confirming what he should be doing in his chores, working on projects etc.

I will be shaking the buggy down! and in reality even though he will be using it. I am sure I will be in it more than he. when he is in it. At least in the beginning, he will have strick instructions on not activiating the rear steer.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
flipping a front 60 won't gain you anything since you will still have to re-tube it to get a center diff location.........the you will still need custom shafts so you might as well start with a rear one and go from there. :2cents:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am waiting on an email from the place I am considering my source for the axles. I asked them what the cost of labor would be compared between either solution. If it is cheaper to retube a front for the rear or add knuckles to the ends of a rear. That will probably be the deciding factor.

Definitely is starting to look like there is a more than one way to skin this cat!

I just need to start making some decisions, as the budget is growing expedinially.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey what happened to that photo you posted up? I wasn't finished studying it!

I had a brief thought about rockwells, as I actually found them as cheap as I found Dana 60's But I figured for the weight of the buggie I could be better off with the 60's. I have even been told toyota's FJ80 axles would work, but I have my heart set on 60's I think.

the buggy "in name" will probably be the son's, but Dad is going to be spending a lot of time in it also. I am certain I can tell him to leave the cotton picking joy stick alone or stay home and play with your video games if you want a joy stick to play with. and he will listen.

31" does sound a bit high, but again you are on 47"s. my taco is too tall. I have 34" with 37"s But I also have a body lift I don't feel like cutting half my truck apart to get out. I haven't measured the frame height off of it but I would guess 34-3-another 3=28" real world clearance.

for the buggy I don't think I am going to go with ARB's this time. I have been having too many issues with mine in the taco. I would like this crawler to be as simple as possible. that and with just all the hydro I want on it, the budget is already "igniting the rocket engines for blast off"

But don't be surprized if I contact you later on this project to get your ideas on setting up a cutting brake. That's another subject that I thought about in which I am hazy on the basics. But at the risk of really getting off track. Let me ask. cutting brakes in our sport are basically nothing more than line locks correct? (damn! feel like such a newb asking that!…lowers head and walks away with head in hand)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bear said:
I am waiting on an email from the place I am considering my source for the axles. I asked them what the cost of labor would be compared between either solution. If it is cheaper to retube a front for the rear or add knuckles to the ends of a rear. That will probably be the deciding factor.

Definitely is starting to look like there is a more than one way to skin this cat!

I just need to start making some decisions, as the budget is growing expedinially.
don't forget if you start with a rear axle they'll have to machine it to accept front D60 oil seals, I don't think they just fit in there but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Gotcha! thanks! I'll inquire about the seals if and when I ever hear back from them.

I have gotten where I would prefer to do business threw emails. and only make the phone call when I am ready to order…just the business I deal with typically prefer the opposite approach! BASTARDS!

Even with my out of state photo labs I deal with! What good is it to be on the internet if you don't want to do business E-lectronically? Sorry getting off on a rant!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Bear said:
Hey what happened to that photo you posted up? I wasn't finished studying it!

But don't be surprized if I contact you later on this project to get your ideas on setting up a cutting brake. That's another subject that I thought about in which I am hazy on the basics. But at the risk of really getting off track. Let me ask. cutting brakes in our sport are basically nothing more than line locks correct? (damn! feel like such a newb asking that!…lowers head and walks away with head in hand)

The picture of the buggy with the sunray 1610's in it? i dunno?? but no problem on any questions, and yeah it just allows you to control each brake (corner) individually. But you will need a locker like an ARB or Detroit electric ect. to make it work properly. some have used normal Detroit but i dont see that working to well. My suggestion is to call poly performance if you want to know the scoop with the cutting brake stuff.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Bear..........one other option for axles.........have you looked into custom built ford 9's. I know the can be built to accept dana 60 outers for front and rear steer aplications........I would belive that they would be lighter and offer more clearance than a 60..........and I have read where a full floating 9 with 35 spline shafts is as strong as a standard rear 60.........I really don't know..........just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
Bear..........one other option for axles.........have you looked into custom built ford 9's. I know the can be built to accept dana 60 outers for front and rear steer aplications........I would belive that they would be lighter and offer more clearance than a 60..........and I have read where a full floating 9 with 35 spline shafts is as strong as a standard rear 60.........I really don't know..........just throwing it out there.
I hadn't thought about much other than the d60's. I know more about theD60's and 44's than anything else. But that isn't saying much, I know very little about those!;)

I'll look into it though. The 9 bolt may even be easier/cheaper to find.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
sunrays website

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/

has alot of good info on 9inch axles..........they even get into explaing the whole deal of why reverse cut rear dana 60's are weaker.

I am really leaning this way for a axle for my Taco :)

I have 1 ford and 1 gm dana 60 that I can use some parts off to offset some costs. :)

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Very interesting stuff. But I did not see any prices anywhere on the site. I am sure they are expensive. I did a quick search on Ebay and I can see where it could get expensive.

But I am going to keep my options open!

Thanks for the find

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
sunrays website

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/

has alot of good info on 9inch axles..........they even get into explaing the whole deal of why reverse cut rear dana 60's are weaker.

I am really leaning this way for a axle for my Taco :)

I have 1 ford and 1 gm dana 60 that I can use some parts off to offset some costs. :)
I hope you got some cast if you want to go with sunray stuff, i called and quoted out 2 front 1610's and it was around the 20K, maybe a little higher, but its been a while, that was after it took me a week to get in touch with them. I should have just gone that route and then i could have dropped my rig a foot.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts