TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as Frankin ends, Nushagak (say "NOO-shuh-gack", a river in Alaska) begins. :D

In the week-ish I've had this truck I have replaced the valve cover gasket, power steering pump, picked up 35s and new wheels and driven about 150 miles on 3/4 tank of fuel. Not bad on 31s.

I'll get another 22R block to build up for a future repower, maybe a cam from Engbldr or LCE... actually, just engnbldr. LCE is expensive as f*ck. Basic engine build, maybe slight oversize for pistons but that's it. I don't need a race engine in a rock crawler. Looks like the master rebuild set (w/ some extras I'd get) is in the $450 range; then add about $100-200 for an engine to build, $ for machine work... maybe $400? Might as well do a clutch while it's apart... $150 on the high end, so about $1200 and I'll have another engine. Not bad in my opinion.

The basic plans are:
(in no order)
carpet
oil cooler
water/oil gauges
aluminum radiator
(I am obsessed with cooling and gauges)
5.29s
weld rear
drop-in front locker
rear bumper
winch/synthetic line
interior panels
hydro assist
rear storage area
York OBA
rear disc swap
springs/shocks
find/fix leaks

And that's about it... this list is WAY shorter than Franklin's!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so fast!

The head gasket is leaking. :supergay:

Debating to get a gasket tonight and hammer it out or not...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Advance Auto (closest to the shop) didn't have a 22R/RE head gasket in stock... WTF is wrong with this world? So it'll be there tomorrow morning. Their Pikes Peak and Briargate stores had one; but I wasn't going to drive any further than I had to so tonight I'm removing and cleaning.

Maybe pulling off the EGR like I always do. :cool:

So far it looks like it didn't mix with the oil; it just dribbled out the driver's side onto the block. Thursday I noticed it was running a little warmer than usual and I smelled some coolant. I thought it was a loose overflow cap or something and didn't worry about it too much. Glad I saw it while it was in the shop and not blown up on the trail! :eek:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Intake won't let go of the head, so I improvised...

Needs plugs:

It was drooling just a tad...

Convertible cylinder head!

One of the Fab Four stopped by:

That's where I'm stopping tonight; I'll clean up tomorrow and put everything back together except the EGR shiite. That can stay in California and other Communist areas.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You get it done?
Now it is; almost forgot to tighten the fan bolts... :eek:

Trail runs are a must; I have to see what I can do with this puppy before Jambo arrives. I don't see Holy Cross in my future without lockers though; and I don't want to be the guy who is holding up everyone by getting stuck every 50 feet.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Now it is; almost forgot to tighten the fan bolts... :eek:

Trail runs are a must; I have to see what I can do with this puppy before Jambo arrives. I don't see Holy Cross in my future without lockers though; and I don't want to be the guy who is holding up everyone by getting stuck every 50 feet.
Weld the rear up:welder::D:rolleyes:

The radiator is at my place now in DougCo north of sedalia. Ill be home all day tomorrow if you want it.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed it; newb mistake of not sealing the lone 12mm bolt that goes into the water jacket. Duh.

Runs, drives, goes zoom; has near-death wobble 20-30 if there's bumps, so an IFS box shall be tapped soon. Otherwise, it rides like any other Toyota on goofy suspension and too-big tires.

:cool:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fixed it; newb mistake of not sealing the lone 12mm bolt that goes into the water jacket. Duh.

Runs, drives, goes zoom; has near-death wobble 20-30 if there's bumps, so an IFS box shall be tapped soon. Otherwise, it rides like any other Toyota on goofy suspension and too-big tires.

:cool:
Awesome!

Ready for the Jambo? Heading up Thursday or Friday?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rather tiring; hit the ground running and pulled in 14 hours... I'm beat.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts