TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know the specs on the Nuts for the rear Oxygen sensor on a regular cab Tacoma 4x4?

I just went outside to clean my 02 sensor and noticed that the thing wasn't even secured.. .which is probably why I threw a rear 02 Check engine light code this week one day that hasn't returned since. The sensor was resting in there and not secured. I can't believe the original owner put it on with no mounting nuts.

Might call Toyota in a bit if noone knows. Auto Zone didn't have them or any specs on them.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Same as the front if you can get one of those off. Soak it with PB Blaster first. I'd remove the sensor and gasket then clean those studs up really well with some PB and a wire brush then put some antiseize on before you install the sensor and nuts. Dust off any loose carbon deposits that you can get too on the sensor surface with a bristle brush. You might even want to flame the sensor bulb with a propane torch first. The flame will consume a off a lot of depostis too just don't over do it. While you have it out, check the little holes around the outside of the sensor barrel and make sure they are clear as well. Those holes are there to provide the normal air (O2) reference sample. If they get plugged up it will make the sensor look bad.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned out the rear sensor real well.. without a torch though. I basicly soaked it in Electrical Cleaner for a while and scrubbed it with some rags and a lot of sooty crap came off. It's shiny and clean now. Both of the mounting bolts were all messed up though. The threads were basicly nonexistent because soo much junk had caked into them and solidified. I worked at it for like a half hour trying to chase them with one of the nuts and a can of PB blaster, unfortunately, one of them broke off about halfway down the bolt length in the process. Doesn't really matter though, I have the sensor on right now with just one night and it's not going to go anywhere since it's plenty tight and the first half of the stub from the broken one is still easily holding the other half in place. It's all after the cats anyways, so It'll do for now until some future time rolls around when I have to change my exhaust anyways and end up with new bolts.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Damn it dude!! Did I say to soak the sensor in solvent? No I didn't.
You can turn them into junk in a quick hurry getting the wrong chemical on them.
I don't know what the solvent you used had in it but maybe, just maybe you lucked out. Just exposing them to regular silicon glue fumes will ruin them, tetraethyl lead (leaded gas) also does a number on them.
In future don't do that kind of shit, just follow instructions.

Any air leak will throw it way off but maybe you'll scoot by. Time will tell. On mine they are screw in studs but I have the headers and a cat back system so am not sure if they are screwed in or welded on studs. In any event you can drill the broken one out and tap it if needs be. Get some stainless hardware and use antiseize (be really damn sure to use antiseize with stainless) and you should be good to go in future.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Haha.. Calm down there tiger.

I used Quick Dry Electrical cleaner. It's sensor safe... the same stuff you use to clean a MAF sensor. I was pretty careful about purchasing a cleaner that would not harm the sensor or leave residual fumes which could get picked up by it and screw it all up(did some research 2 nights ago to find what people use to clean these things, and the top 2 most common cleaning methods seemed to be a torch and then electrical cleaner). Before I hooked everything back up, I actually took off my 02 sensor and started the truck up for a few minutes so that the exhaust would heat up and burn off any of the extra PB blaster before I put my 02 sensor back in because I was worried that it would foul it if any of that stuff got on the sensor.

I'd love to get a nice stainless exhaust, but I'll wait until the one I have on there rots out before I do that. I was actually thinking of trying to clean up the one I have before it gets too bad by treating the outside of it with some high-temp anti-corrosion paint.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
I don't know the size, but I got the ones I needed from my local autozone. Just took my old studs in, browsed through the hardware and found the studs and split nuts.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those studs come out? Hmm.. Mine appeared to be welded to the pipe that goes between my second converter and the muffler.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
partyman66 said:
Those studs come out? Hmm.. Mine appeared to be welded to the pipe that goes between my second converter and the muffler.
They do on the front, I only assumed it was the same for the rear. I've never replaced my rear sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts