TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was replacing my rear o2 sensor and i stripped the nuts. The threads from the nuts are filling the threads of the bolt, yes they stripped that bad. Can those bolts be replaced with a generic hardware store stainless pair or are the bolts special? Also, do they even come out? I got the right metric nuts with the 1.25 thread but the bolts didn't like them and they strip. What should i do? Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
dude if i were you,i would go get a tap and die set and get new nuts for the studs,i'm not sure if the bolts in the exhaust pipe even come out,if you try to replace them,you'll more than likely be drilling them out,just run a die(to clean the threads up) on the studs that are there and go get new nuts that size..

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to mine due to rust. The only way to fix it is to remove the exhaust and drill them out. In my case, if I remove my exhaust (CAT BACK) I will have to replace the CAT and hardware because it's welded w\rust. In the interim I bought 2 Large Stainless Steel hose clamps to hold it into place. You can do the samething with 2 exhaust clamps. It will hold a while and doesn't leak.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
ON my exhaust they are studs for the front and rear sensors. However the front is a TRD header and the rear is a TRD catback so I don't know for sure what you have but my guess is that they are studs as well. Before trying to remove the studs, soak them in PB Blaster for a couple of hours. Sock them down several times as the oil evaporates.
If they don't seem to want to loosen up, don't twist them off, heat them up with a torch then try again. A typical homeowner propane torch will do.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I misread your post.. I thought you already broke them off.. Definitely try Dick's method first.

In my case, I did try soaking them twice a day for 5 days before removing them. I took a set of vise grips to them because none of my sockets or wrenches would "bite". I ended up breaking the first nut off like it was hot butter. The 2nd was a little toughter but ended up breaking off as well.

BTW, this was on my TRD CATBACK system.. It just means more work and a lesson learned to use Anti-seize.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the bolts WERE in good condition, they're not rusted through or anything which is a good thing. THey are just stripped now along with the nuts on em. What i did in the meantime is just put two nuts on each bolt to hold the o2 sensor down. Retapping isn't going to work i thought because if i retap i won't be able to tap all the way down to the bottom of the bolt since the tapper will hit the pipe before it taps all the way down, right? I'm trying to explore all my options before i get anything done. Good suggestions so far, i'm marking them all down on paper. any others?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tcmaboy said:
Get a generic 02 sensor and weld in some new bungs. You can replace both for the cost of one of the stock sensors.
If i could weld i would probably try that, but since i can't it probably won't help lol. I was thinking of die nuts? I think i'm going to head out to home depot and purchase a tap and die set anyways, always a good set of tools to have around. I've never used a tap and die, i did some wikipedia reading and it looks like i'll be using the dies not the taps since i'm working with bolts. Anyone have any tips on using one of these tools? Or will it even work?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Like I said, first make sure of what you're working with, my guess is that you have studs in which case it would be smarter to just replace them. Before you buy a tap and die set for this job you should get some easy outs. Those Craftsman screw and bolt outs work pretty well. X2 on putting anitseize on what ever you use to replace what you got. Any stainless hardware always gets antiseize, things like fasteners in the exhaust system or spark plugs in aluminum heads also should have antiseize. I put it on many other fasterners and hardware that I intended to remove later as well, such as the infamous cone washers used for Asin hubs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey thanks dick. i'll try the screw and bolt outs. Yeah, i'm good with the anti-seize i always put it on when i'm changing out the plugs or hardware that i intend to get out at a later time. That stuff is a life saver. I'll let you know how everything goes. From what i remember the bolts don't come out, looks like they're welded into the pipe, i'll verify that later. If they are, i'll have to go the tap and die option, if not i'll try your suggestions. THanks for the help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dick Foster said:
If they are welded in then maybe you cut them off then drill and tap some holes for studs.

if he does that he just as well go buy a new muffler and tailpipe assembly,because he's going to have to drop the exhaust pipe down to get to where it can be drilled and tap'd..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Figital said:
If i could weld i would probably try that, but since i can't it probably won't help lol. I was thinking of die nuts? I think i'm going to head out to home depot and purchase a tap and die set anyways, always a good set of tools to have around. I've never used a tap and die, i did some wikipedia reading and it looks like i'll be using the dies not the taps since i'm working with bolts. Anyone have any tips on using one of these tools? Or will it even work?

when you use the die,you can't use the t-handle that came with it(not enough room there i know)just use an adjustable wrench or boxed in wrench that fits the die to turn it..i hope you can get it retapped without having to remove the 2 bastard bolts in the cat,unless they have been changed out before.

·
Administrator
18,301 Posts
The stock O2 sensor studs are removable. Replacements can be had at just about any auto parts store. I took mine in with me, matched up the threads and bought a few. Antiseize isn't gonna help much on those since the heat really fuses everything together real well. Just use lots of penetrating lube and hope for the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts