TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many problem free years of ownership, my 97 Taco 4x4 had an O2 sensor go bad. I got it analyzed and was told it was the sensor just in front of the Catalytic Converter but after changing it out the check engine light comes back on after 10 or 15 minutes of driving.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
After many problem free years of ownership, my 97 Taco 4x4 had an O2 sensor go bad. I got it analyzed and was told it was the sensor just in front of the Catalytic Converter but after changing it out the check engine light comes back on after 10 or 15 minutes of driving.
Any help would be appreciated.
check for small exhaust leaks around the sensor (its an AF sensor, not the
O2...that one goes after the cat(s))

·
Registered
114 Posts
Who did the analyze, and did they reset your check engine light? I have hed mine done at Autozone before and the guy who did it was a real retard. Told me to change a particular item, and it totally wrong.
me too, it was my front o2 also and he was trying to tell me it was the maf or something. i said i'd be back and bought a denso sensor cause i didn't want their chinese knockoff.

if you havent pulled the ecu fuse then the light probably won't go away, i think it takes a long time to go off on its own with no "malfunction".

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Got any codes to give us a little help helping you? I wouldnt trust autozones diagnosis, I have people come in to my shop all the time where someone who thought they new what they were doing pulled codes and just started swapping parts and could never fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
P0141 = 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
P0141 and it was at Auto Zone. I live in the boonies, no Toyota dealers for 40 miles.
As the others indicated, that is a code for the heater circuit on the O2 sensor after the cat. Not sure if that was the original code you got, so couldn't tell you for sure if you were told the wrong thing to start with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was the original code, I was given the wrong info. Now I have to convince them to give me another O2 sensor.....fat chance. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That was the original code, I was given the wrong info. Now I have to convince them to give me another O2 sensor.....fat chance. Thanks for the help though.
Did you save the original O2 sensor that you removed (before the CAT)??

IF yes...
Then why don't you remove the 'new' one.... put the original one back in, and put the new one behind the CAT?

Or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
That would depend on the model year but he should be OK with that as he has a 97.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Not so on a 97, Chris. Both are the same kind of O2 sensor, only the harness length varies.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Not so on a 97, Chris. Both are the same kind of O2 sensor, only the harness length varies.
yea, I noticed that when I looked up the code in an older FSM...duh...:p

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
I Love it when AutoZone "tells" you whats wrong with Your vehicle, then accepts no responsibility when they DON"T KNOW JACK!!!!!!
I see DUMB PEOPLE!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plus the fact that I can't put the original one back because I bought the universal replacement (still made by Denso) which uses the connector from the old sensor and costs $85 less than the pre wired version. Now I'll probably end up spending the money I tried to save buying another one. Like always, you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, next time I will use URD I put it in my favorites list, but at least Auto Zone is going to replace my sensor gratis......
I did wear my Submarine Veteran hat (my handle here is the hull numbers of my first two subs- 615 and 694) just in case it would help and for $65 I'll give it to 'em with both barrels.
So, I'll replace the bad sensor like I should have the first time and get rid of the check engine light once and for all and go back to bragging about how my Taco never gives me any problems!
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts