TTORA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys dont nail me too hard on this silly question i already asked in the newbie section and got 2 diff replies. one guy said you can use it in 4lo and 4hi at any speed. one guy said if the 05 is anything like the 04 you can only use it in 4lo unless you have some custom grey wiring. so here it goes...i have an 05 'coma 4x4 and if im correct the manual is overcautious and says only use locker to free vehicle from the mud if 4Lo doesnt work. can i engage the locker in regular 4wd? and if so whats the speed limit? i have accidently pushed the locker button while trying to hit the lights before and it flashes the symbol at you that the locker is not properly engaged. so im just wondering if i can only use it in 4Lo or in Reg4wd also. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As the truck comes you can only use the locker in 4lo. However if you do the Grey wire mod you will be able to use it in either 4lo or 4hi. Just search "greywire mod" as it has been covered several times already. Just make sure you find the one for 05+ as it varies from the previous generation tacos. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Why did you post this in 2 sections?

·
Registered
179 Posts
AGAIN, w/o modifying your truck....

You can only lock while in 4lo AND going less than 5mph. Once locked, you can go as fast as you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Locker problem?

Been offroading for the past 15yrs. Owning all Chevy trucks. This is my first Toyota and I love it! The chevys I have had in the past have always had LSDs which I liked. I tried the locker when I first got it last month and had problems with it engaging. Yes, I read the manual. Put it in 4low and pushed the button. Finally, I brought it in to the dealership. The mechanic said he was able to lock it. The service mgr tried to lock it and it wouldnt lock. He said I had to drive it a bit in 4low for it to lock. BS I say, thats not what the manual says! He got it to lock after driving it about 100 meters. I have learned to move it back and forth to Nuetral and then 4hi then 4low for it to lock. Any help would be great. I am thinking about taking it to another dealership for help.
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, from what I've heard... It gets easier the more you do it - and this goes for engaging 4Lo as well. The tolerances are really tight when the truck is new... after a little while they wear to their normal tolerances and it engages easily enough. I remember my first couple times were tough and I had to drive a couple hundred yards. Now sometimes it just goes right in if I'm stopped, but sometimes I have to roll forward a few feet (while its blinking) for everything to line up - then it locks in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you are having trouble locking.....turn the truck.
example: turn left OR right and this will make one tire spin faster than the other, the locking mechanism will line up and, viola, you are locked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, neutral to drive, roll a few feet, turn the wheel. You will get the hang of it. They also make a good clunk sound when they disengage.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
alright guys dont nail me too hard on this silly question i already asked in the newbie section and got 2 diff replies. one guy said you can use it in 4lo and 4hi at any speed. one guy said if the 05 is anything like the 04 you can only use it in 4lo unless you have some custom grey wiring. so here it goes...i have an 05 'coma 4x4 and if im correct the manual is overcautious and says only use locker to free vehicle from the mud if 4Lo doesnt work. can i engage the locker in regular 4wd? and if so whats the speed limit? i have accidently pushed the locker button while trying to hit the lights before and it flashes the symbol at you that the locker is not properly engaged. so im just wondering if i can only use it in 4Lo or in Reg4wd also. thanks for your help.
I asked you previously not to post duplicate threads on the forums here. It just clutters the board. All you know how to do is post the same thing over and over. Please stop.

Closing this duplicate thread.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64646

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.