TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, dammit!

I got my bed lites installed.

As you all know the beds on these things are FRP, and there is no cargo lite.

I used Peterson flush mount backup lites. 1 on each side.

I traced a circle where I wanted the lite and used a drimel tool to cut the hole. Just the cost of a hole saw blade was more than the drimel tool!

I mounted the lite switch behind the gas cap door.

It really lites the bed up well at nite!

I will post part numbers if anybody is interested.

Total cost of installation: < $30

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Very nice looking job. Like the way you recessed mounted. Question is how well will the lens hold up when carrying a load in the bed? Is the switch constant power? Wired to be off with key off? What happens if your refueling and the switch shorts out?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The switch is sealed and not around anything metallic. I actually replaced that swutch the same day as that pic with a mo betta one.

They should hold up well. It is a very tite fit.

I had a load of firewood in there all week, and they didnt get scratched or anything.

It is wired for constant power.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Cool!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice job Joey. Will you help me............ Oh never mind. I already know the answer. Dammit Danny, cant you do anything yourself, Hand!?!?!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure, I will help you!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That looks pretty good. I would want the switch in the cab but that is pretty good too.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would want the switch in the cab but that is pretty good too.
I thought about that, but when I am diggin in the bed at nite...I wanted the switch close. Gas hole was the best I could come up with.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I thought about that, but when I am diggin in the bed at nite...I wanted the switch close. Gas hole was the best I could come up with.
I think that I would lean towards the cab because my gas door has a lock on it. Your is definitely setup well and without the lock easily accessible.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well I was inspired by this thread to finally get my aux. fuse block installed so I could finish up my bed light mod.

Here is where I mounted the light. I only used one light because I thought that would be enough to light the bed. I guessed right.

I mounted the switch inside this little cubbie in the bed. Out of the way and sort of hidden, but easily accessible. I mounted a relay socket and 30A relay behind the cubbie.

I ended up putting the fuse block in the cab to keep it out of harms way. I used a project box from Radio Shack to mount it in. Inspired by this thread.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67738

I found a 100A circuit breaker at the local Discount Auto Parts and mounted it here using a longer bolt which replaced the bolt that holds the fuse block behind the battery. It's mounted with only the one bolt which was sufficient enough to hold it snug. I used some thick rubber washers to isolate it somewhat from vibration and to give it some play/give.

An here is what it looks like in all it's night time glory. It's works great and thanks to the people on this forum for the inspiration.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump

·
Registered
421 Posts
Howdy, dammit!

I got my bed lites installed.

As you all know the beds on these things are FRP, and there is no cargo lite.

I used Peterson flush mount backup lites. 1 on each side.

I traced a circle where I wanted the lite and used a drimel tool to cut the hole. Just the cost of a hole saw blade was more than the drimel tool!

It really lites the bed up well at nite!

I will post part numbers if anybody is interested.

Total cost of installation: < $30

Cool, but I did the same thing, cept it took me like 30 minutes to install.

Drive to Schmucks (kragen), purchase 2.99 LED tap-light, open package, peel off double sided tape, stick to bedside close to tailgate, push lens. Done! Offers great light & no wiring! Had it 6 months & the AAA batteries it came with are still going strong, even after I accidentally left it on for 2hrs.

Nice job though:kewl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice job guys, I like the switch in the cubbyhole better(probably where I'll put mine. I was actually thinking about doing almost the same thing, but not sure I want that much light. I have the bestop soft shell that I use to sleep in the back while on the trail or camping, so I want just enough light to provide kinda dim light at night while getting situated. Mabey some smaller lights like the interior style, but need to be durable for the back of a truck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
very cool mod. should sticky this :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts