TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I'm noticing that my tires are getting chewed up off road because I have been too lazy to air down. Well i don't have a way to air up unless I am close to a town. CO2 is nice but an expensive way to air up in my mind. So I had a compressor from a friend that I never got installed on my last rig (he had a CO2 tank and we used that all the time to air up:D ). Since I had about 80% of the parts and the space under the hood I decided to get it mounted and running.

1) The nice thing about the Tacoma is there is extra space under the hood to mount accessories. Toyota even nicely left pre- threaded holes in the fenders for my use.

2) I didn't want to mount it sideways on the fender in that space and tried to find a bracket that might work in this space to mount the compressor. My father is a German car mechanic and he even looked at the shop for a bracket off of a junk car that might work. No Luck. Well lucky for me I went to this nice BBQ/meet and greet at ORS which was down the street from my Dad's garage. A few week's after that I stopped by and met the infamous Una at ORS and talked with Derek there at the shop. They made a template and a little over a week later they fitted a nice sized bracket in the space I needed it.

3) Very happy with the work and the price I got from ORS I took my bracket home and coated it with a Rustolum black to keep it lasting longer after my plastic front bumper. :rofl:

4) Using the thick steel and the mounting points on the fender I completed the install this weekend in my Dad's garage with a little help from Pops.

5) I added the a relay in the smaller factory box in the bottom right of the photo.

6) I already had an ARB switch from another rig so I just got another actuator to signify the compressor.

I like the ARB switches. They look good, light up well, and function easily. I am hoping to use ARB switches for all my accessories. Although the bulb heats up quite a bit. I guess that is so you can find the switch without looking at it. Just follow the heat :flamethro

So I tested it out and with my 285's it takes about 7 minutes to go from 15lbs. back up to 35lbs. Not the most efficient but better then no air. My next consideration is a tank. I am curious of those out there that have installed a tank how much more efficient is the system at filling tires after a day of off roading.

This bracket was drilled to fit my needs but could be produced with other accessories in mind. I.E. larger compressor or an on board welder. I would highly recomend ORS for this and I think I have found my new home for fabrication. I am thinking a custom rear bumper in the near future. Thanks again ORS!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Man, I love those ORS tig welds...

Looks good! Nice work!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
x2

A tank won't really help much - tires take A LOT of air.

Thanks for that. I was kind of thinking that but wanted to make sure. I think my best bet might be to move up to a larger volume compressor at some point.

·
20,355 Posts
Looks great! I need to get something like this set up by next year in my truck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a cheap oba setup to run my locker and fill tires, with a small 1/2 gal air tank to function as a reservior to run the locker. The tank doesn't do any good for airing up tires, might as well start the compressor from zero. So you're right, you'd have to get a better $$ compressor. If you really need to air up fast without C02, your best option is to try to fit a belt-driven unit.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Looks very nice! I've got a 2.5gal tank for my on-board ViAir and I only use it if I'm working with tools. With the exception of the first tire in line, I found it actually impedes the subsequent inflation of tires since the tires get secondary pressure after the tank.l

·
Registered
659 Posts
Very nice clean install good work. I have mine mounted on the passenger side for my locker, (gears still not installed :( and i put the switches in the same spot im with you, love the switches! If you dont mind im going to take your idea of the welded plate that you have protecting the compressor and do the same with mine being that its only mounted with the stock bottom plate. good job!:welder:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a cheap oba setup to run my locker and fill tires, with a small 1/2 gal air tank to function as a reservior to run the locker. The tank doesn't do any good for airing up tires, might as well start the compressor from zero. So you're right, you'd have to get a better $$ compressor. If you really need to air up fast without C02, your best option is to try to fit a belt-driven unit.
Thanks for that tip. Well see how long this one last's and when it blows I will go bigger and better.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice clean install good work. I have mine mounted on the passenger side for my locker, (gears still not installed :( and i put the switches in the same spot im with you, love the switches! If you dont mind im going to take your idea of the welded plate that you have protecting the compressor and do the same with mine being that its only mounted with the stock bottom plate. good job!:welder:
I don't mind but the plate work was from ORS. They do great work!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do those compressors last? Does the tank seem to help seating beads?
I have heard that the tank helps with seating a bead but I have also heard you can use your spare tire full of air to seat a bead. Anyone know how that works? Or I guess it would just be easier to install the spare instead. :banghead: Unless your spare is smaller then your other tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
in theory the air pressure from the spare tire (usually 30-40pis depending) is enough to seat the bead of a tire then you use your compressor to fill it the rest of the way. I have never done it myself but have herd a few buddies doing it, they used a normal air hose.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The tank should help seating a bead. Mine tops out at 105psi, so you get a good pressure push right off the bat and you can do it more than once if needed.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Despite what others say, I think a tank helps a little. I can get two tires aired quickly from trail to highway pressure off my 2.5gal tank and let the compressor refill the tank while I drive down the road a little ways and air up the other two. Granted, I don't air down as far as some others might, and just to get home, I don't need 32psi in all four tires. When I get home I'll air back up to 32psi all the way around with my big compressor.

That ORS bracket is a quality item. Do you know if they have any plans to market that?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Despite what others say, I think a tank helps a little. I can get two tires aired quickly from trail to highway pressure off my 2.5gal tank and let the compressor refill the tank while I drive down the road a little ways and air up the other two. Granted, I don't air down as far as some others might, and just to get home, I don't need 32psi in all four tires. When I get home I'll air back up to 32psi all the way around with my big compressor.

That ORS bracket is a quality item. Do you know if they have any plans to market that?
I would think that marketing the bracket would be based on demand. I had it built extra large to accomidate a larger compressor but it should also fit a welder or other on board items on it as well. I did the "free" marketing thing for ORS here to get some feedback to send them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts