·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
203 Posts
6vamocat said:
I know one version of this had been posted in the delphi forums, but thought that this article be worth a repost. It offers several formulas.

http://s-series.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=31&page=1

This also brings up question. The last version uses mineral spirits as a cleaning agent. Can this or xylene, etc. be a cheap substitute for seafoam? Afterall, seafoam is a petroleum product as well.
I'm no chemist but I wouldn't try any of that stuff. I'll stick to BUYING good old CAM2, 107 octane (unleaded).

·
Registered
53 Posts
6vamocat said:
I know one version of this had been posted in the delphi forums, but thought that this article be worth a repost. It offers several formulas.

http://s-series.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=31&page=1

This also brings up question. The last version uses mineral spirits as a cleaning agent. Can this or xylene, etc. be a cheap substitute for seafoam? Afterall, seafoam is a petroleum product as well.
many s/c'd members routinely supplement their tanks with toluene or xylene. the best you're going to see with jacking the octane with the stock 8psi, though, is elimination of ping, and maybe some resultant recovery of advance on the timing map. to really benifit, you need to be running more boost, but even then, you're limited by the output of the little M62 Eaton blower . . . .

·
Registered
203 Posts
creed said:
many s/c'd members routinely supplement their tanks with toluene or xylene. the best you're going to see with jacking the octane with the stock 8psi, though, is elimination of ping, and maybe some resultant recovery of advance on the timing map. to really benifit, you need to be running more boost, but even then, you're limited by the output of the little M62 Eaton blower . . . .
After installing the s/c and URD, I got ping. After filling the tank with 5 gallons of CAM2, I had no ping whatsoever. 107 octane works but it's EXPENSIVE. I thought the stock pulley was 6-6.5 psi?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Cam2?

MDTRD said:
After installing the s/c and URD, I got ping. After filling the tank with 5 gallons of CAM2, I had no ping whatsoever. 107 octane works but it's EXPENSIVE. I thought the stock pulley was 6-6.5 psi?

sorry to have to ask, but I have never heard of CAM2, where do you find it at? Is it just a higher grade of fuel or an additive?

I have a supercharger but the best octane I can find where I am at is 93% and I have my timing so retarded with a TMC 1.1 it is ridiculous, almost feels like I don't even have the supercharger on the truck.

I don't have all of the URD fuel mods (obviously since I am still running a TMC) But I have a lot of the kit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bear said:
sorry to have to ask, but I have never heard of CAM2, where do you find it at? Is it just a higher grade of fuel or an additive?

I have a supercharger but the best octane I can find where I am at is 93% and I have my timing so retarded with a TMC 1.1 it is ridiculous, almost feels like I don't even have the supercharger on the truck.

I don't have all of the URD fuel mods (obviously since I am still running a TMC) But I have a lot of the kit.
You can find CAM2 at your local race track. There's a speed shop where I live that also sells it. They also sell the leaded which is 110 or 112 octane. Either way, it's not an additive at all. I run straight 107 in my s/c 306 GT. Man, what a diff from 93 in that thing. I run Shell 93 octane in my truck and that's about the highest you can get around here cept if you find a Sunoco that sells 94 or 98 octane. Get the URD fuel mods so you can take advantage of that s/c.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One drop of pure MMT in an eyedropper will work for about 4 tanks to stop the ping and raise your octane level...very serious stuff, but very hard to get a hold of...I can look into getting some sample vials from work, but it might not be possible. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeti said:
yeah keep us posted, whats the whole name of that stuff?

I will...the full name is methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl.

It is the main ingredient in these Octane Boosters that does the job of reducing knock, and raising octane levels. It's a fuel additive/detergent chemical, and was introduced originally in the 1950's by Ethyl Corporation

Dave.

·
609 Posts
DCTacoma said:
I will...the full name is methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl.

It is the main ingredient in these Octane Boosters that does the job of reducing knock, and raising octane levels. It's a fuel additive/detergent chemical, and was introduced originally in the 1950's by Ethyl Corporation

Dave.
Sounds fun. I'll take 2 vials, sir.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
MDTRD said:
You got pinging with the URD kit? Wow, was it tuned? Oh and that is right the stock pully is about 6 PSI. Smaller 2.2" pulley is about 9 psi.

·
609 Posts
SAStoy said:
Anyone know if you can use these octane boosters (the ones in the link) with regular ol 87 octane?
Sure but you will missing out on extra octanes available for cheaper at the pump. Unless you have acess to drums of tolulene the price per gallon isn't a cost effective equation. If it's because that is the highest you can get then you must love your SC'er as much as me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
wisctaco04
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing