TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pull a small pop-up trailer, and use 87 octane gas. Do you think the 91 octane to pull the trailer will make any difference in power? (not just throwing $$ away??) Thx.. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Most likely will not make any difference since the computer controls the way the engine performs. I am no expert on this and there is prolly lots of info on octane and performance if you search for it. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what you mean. But the higher octane rating should create a "more complete burn" which "usually" means more power. But I've had trucks that just get worse mileage, and waisted my $. I wasn't towing anything either. This is just a quick question for advise. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
661 Posts
I pull a large pop-up with my 2.7 and I use regular gas with no problems. Somebody else may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your engine is designed to operate on 87-88 octane fuel. Running 91 or above will only affect the thickness of your wallet.

A fuel's octane rating relates to it's resistance to ignition. Higher octane fuels are more difficult to ignite; they do offer a more complete, slower burn.

High compression engines, or engines with high combustion chamber temperatures require high octane fuels to prevent detonation (pinging, spark knock).

Running high octane fuel in an engine not designed for it will actually net lower fuel economy and a decrease in power output.

Hope this helps,

Dan-

·
Banned
966 Posts
Radio Flyer said:
Your engine is designed to operate on 87-88 octane fuel. Running 91 or above will only affect the thickness of your wallet.

A fuel's octane rating relates to it's resistance to ignition. Higher octane fuels are more difficult to ignite; they do offer a more complete, slower burn.

High compression engines, or engines with high combustion chamber temperatures require high octane fuels to prevent detonation (pinging, spark knock).

Running high octane fuel in an engine not designed for it will actually net lower fuel economy and a decrease in power output.

Hope this helps,

Dan-
huh? perhaps fuel economy if you look at $$$ spent to buy the same amount of fuel, but not actual fuel economy in terms of mpg. there's only a slight diff chemically between octane rated fuels at the pump, they should all burn almost exactly the same and release about the same amount of energy per unit fuel. however, different types of blended fuels can have varying results (read more here http://www.answers.com/topic/octane-rating-1)

"The power output of an engine depends on the energy content of its fuel, and this bears no simple relationship to the octane rating. A common myth amongst petrol consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is mostly false—engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal."

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
I towed a 6x12' uhaul trailer about 1400 miles and ran nothing but 91 octane. There was no increase in power from what i can tell all i can tell was that when i got to my desination my exhaust piping must of gotten pretty damn hot and melted the rubber hanger spacers that holds my exhaust system to the frame.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is no reason to run super for the trailer pull.
Premium gas is for vehicles that state that as a requirement, or if your pinging running premium will greatly help. IF your turbo/SCrd can cause a ping, (easily if your running TRD SC), in that case ping or not raising octane will decrease ping, that way your ignition timing will stay more advanced, which is night and day for power production.
Thats why people use methanol and water in there water injection, the methanol is supposedly 115 octane equiv. or so. Next time your at a station pick up a bottle of 108 octane boost, in some cases, your simply dumping a bottle of methanol in your tank. Same thing with HEET not isoHEET, just HEET, its 99% Methanol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
VF'N8
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing