TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get blasted, I searched.... and found one post. It didnt really answer my question so here I am.

When I bought my Taco, it had a nice aftermarket pioneer (i think?) cd player installed in it. Works great yata yata yata....I could care less because I live in Germany and the radio stations here SUCK ASS, and I dont have many CD's, but it works good enough for me.

Underneath it, there is what appears to be an OEM (?) 3 disc CD changer. Only it doesnt work. I assume the reason it doesnt work is that it had to be used in conjunction with the stock radio. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way i can power it up after I take it out to see if it works? Is there a market for these? (assuming it works..) Most importantly, How do I get the damn thing out? Im sure I could go barbaric and start ripping shit apart, but dont want to break the plastic that surrounds it or the unit itself.

I need the space for a switch panel.

~James

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I would like to see a pic of this, but I can help you with taking your dash apart to get it out.

1.) I would venture to say that there is no way to make it work with your aftermarket stereo, unless you happen to be an electrical engineer.

2.) To remove the dash:

1. - There should be 2 auxilliary cigarette lighter plugs under the dash near the shifter. On each side of that plastic panel there is what looks like a plastic rivet. Take a small sharp tool, and gently press on the center of those "rivets". They'll snap loose and you can pull them out. This will allow you to remove that lower panel. Once the panel is loose - reach back and disconnect the 2 aux cigarette lighter plugs.

2. - Pull all the knobs and switch ends off of your Heat/AC panel.

3. - carefully pull the plastic cover off that is behind the knobs. You may need to use a knife or screw driver to get it to pop loose, but be careful not to break it. (this is the piece that has the Red/Blue circle, and the
"LO - * - * - HI" etc.)

4. - Behind that plastic cover are 2 screws, and there is a 3rd screw to the lower right where the Aux. Cigarette Lighter Plug panel was - but toward the passenger side.

5. - Remove those 3 screws, and firmly pull on the dash panel. Once it's loose disconnect the keyed switch that allows you to arm/disarm the passenger air bag.

Now the dash is removed, and you're all set!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i had this same set up in my 96 mine came out attached with the stereo, but you can take it apart. I took mine out and used it for switch space also. But the whole set up is quite ghetto it like shoots the thing that holds the disks out and changes then pulls them back in., but ti is quite doable. The hardest part is removing that damn ac panel

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to SAR Squid79, this was a much easier project that I anticipated. I am 6foot 2 inches, and 290 pounds, I dont fit well on the floorboard, much less under the dash. My hands are like baseball bats and they dont perform well when working with with plastic, hidden screws, and plastic holder tabs, but this one went ok. Thanks again, for a great explanation.

Here is how it looked when I got the truck. Looks like a good CD changer... just doesnt work with an aftermarket radio.. I need this space.

Couple pics of the unit once it was out.. Any way to find out what that part number would cost now?

Carnage and the OEM Radio/changer mounting bracket that Green96Taco mentioned.

Couple pics of the custom switch plate that I fabbed up real quick this morning. Its made out of pretty thin aluminum channel that I picked up at a local German Baumarkt (like Lowes or Home Depot)

Final pics after the install, it fits pretty well I think, and its very functional. I order my switches last night off of ebay, so I have to wait a couple weeks for them to come in.

The switches, left to right will be:

Fridge (already installed)
Front Cargo Rack lights (have lights, just have to finish rack)
Front Bumper lights (have lights, no bumper)
Rear Cargo Rack lights (have lights, just have to finish rack)
Camera Monitor power
Camera DPDT selector switch (front and back camera, all ordered from sleezbay)
And one for a spare

~James

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Looks pretty cool. Good work on that switch panel, but you should paint it black with some of that textured spray paint. That'll look cool.

Glad my explanation helped you out.

:eek: WOW! That CD Changer setup looks WIERD! (and ugly) I have never seen that before in my life! :eek:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Stump I know exactly what your going through, i put a new xdvd8181 in my truck last night and i too am 6'2" its not the easyist task getting down on the floor with a regular cab. my big ass shoulders fill up the floor then i cant even move.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive been a motorcycle mechanic for 10 years now, no problem working on those because they are all open for the most part.... put me inside of a vehicle and under the dash, forget it man... Shit starts breaking left and right. I dont know how those car stereo guys do it...

~James

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i normally find myself about upside down in the seat wrenching under the dash :D You should saw me last night trying to ground a wire to my brake pedal bolt. My legs were in the passanger seat and the gear shifts were in my side and my head and arms was on the floor under the steering wheel :eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
be glad you got that piece of shit cd player out of your truck. When they get hot they scratch cds. There's even a warning on the changer, i didnt see it till it was too late. Pretty hard to keep the cd player cool in the desert. :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts