TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just FYI.

for those of you who have not yet drank the "O" brand battery kool-aid (Optima or Odyssey), i just put an Interstate MTP-24F into my 2002 taco. it fits perfectly in place of the OEM battery and specs out with 1000 CA and 800 CCA. now that's what i'm talking about on 5degF mornings!!!

the almost 5 year old OEM battery was sounding worse and worse over the course of the last few 20degF days. with even colder weather forecasted i decided that it was time to get a quality battery in place.

the MTP-24F is $91 at an Interstate dealer.

link to interstate spec

jim aka the wrooster

ps:
replacing your battery, even though it takes but 10 or 15 minutes, royally sucks when it is 20degF out with a 10-15kt wind. :(

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
True, cheaper and perfectly fine at first. My interstate is on it's last legs 2 years after it went it, just won't hold a charge any more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want a cheap alternative find a place that sells reconditioned batteries. Most of them carry new batteries that are marked as reconditioned. What happens is that many dealers will pull the batteries out of new cars and replace them with more "known" brands. A good example are the Hitachi batteries they pull in a lot of the trucks. You can pick a new one up for about $30 and it works flawlessly. Friends and I have used them on just about everything including a 65 (?) Chevy pickup which was killing batteries left and right. The trick is finding a shop you trust not to screw you over with a crap battery.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Let see I've had an "O" battery yellow top since 1999 and it just now died it's been in a 99 rav4, 00 4runner, 03 tundra,and now my 05 taco, and with a 1600 watt sound system that gone in from one to the other...so 4 rigs and damn near a decade.... Yeah I'm sold on the kool aid!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Following up after all this time... Still have my 2002 Tacoma. The Interstate MTP-24F that is pictured in the OP was replaced today. It will not hold a charge overnight. With the truck running via a jump start from my tractor, the charging system is putting out good voltage.

Jan 2007 --> Sep 2015 = 8 years 9 months.

wrooster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
wrooster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing