TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Make sure the thread and pitch is the same and it will physically fit. I am running a huge filter(oversized) right now to increase my oil capacity. I don't want any Newbies trying it though and blaming me if they cross thread it so I won't give out anything other than it's a Motorcraft.:D

Here are some helpfull links that should answer all of your questions.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001533

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001395

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bryanccfshr said:
Make sure the thread and pitch is the same and it will physically fit. I am running a huge filter(oversized) right now to increase my oil capacity. I don't want any Newbies trying it though and blaming me if they cross thread it so I won't give out anything other than it's a Motorcraft.:D

Here are some helpfull links that should answer all of your questions.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001533

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001395
Thanks man but that doesnt answer my question. I know people use the M1-209 oil filter but i was wondering if its the same length as the OEM filter.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Oh, And on that Magnet. I am not a fam of putting magnets on filters. I would rather the metal flakes were caught in the filter media than sit attached to the side of the filter can by a magnet. They could get knocked off releasing a large clumb of solids into the filter of worst yet imediately after shutdown allowing it to drain back into the oil pan if it sits long enough for the filter to empty.

These big hawking filters will do a fine job, aint much metal to catch after about 15k miles anyway. Most the solids are small carbon particles and ingressions through the air intake. Clean intake=clean oil

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bryanccfshr said:
When I give Links Read them! This is pretty damn self explanatory. The -102 is the size of the OEM
Well i guess that answers my question then. I got my numbers mixed up. I admit my fawkups. Sorry man. By the way how many miles do you have on your rig and how offten do you change your oil? What brand of oil do you use? thanks again.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
When I give Links Read them! This is pretty damn self explanatory. The -102 is the size of the OEM
Be calm, not everyone visits Bob every day like we do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is my experience on Mobil 1 filter. On my 2002 Tacoma V6 I ran Mobil 1 5k miles with oversized WIX filter, oversized Mobil 1 filter, and oversized Toyota (Lexus) filter. I did a used oil analysis after each of these intervals. With the Mobil 1 filter the solubles were less, but the wear metals (copper, lead) were significantly higher than with the WIX and Toyota. Also on BITOG it is the general consensus that the Mobil 1 filter is good, but TOO restrictive. Bob ran a test with many filters and hooked a pressure gauge up after the filter. IIRC the Mobil 1 was around 30psi while the others were 40-45 psi.

My tests indicated that for my truck/engine the WIX is the best filter for the money. Plus the filter I run in almost 1.5 inches longer than what is recommended with the same thread pitch and bypass psi. I run WIX on my 2004, my wife's 2005 Sienna and my John Deere lawnmower.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Well i guess that answers my question then. I got my numbers mixed up. I admit my fawkups. Sorry man. By the way how many miles do you have on your rig and how offten do you change your oil? What brand of oil do you use? thanks again.
LOL Sorry I was getting a bit impatient and tired last night:) I am here to help.

I don't put many miles on my Truck. It's a 2002 Dbl cab and only has ~ 23,450 miles. It gets used infrequently for chores and recreational offroading and fishing trips.
In the past I was changing the oil every 6 months with conventional oil and a Toyota filter. Never reaching 3K miles in that time frame. To be honest the oil I was using would make 5k with no problems but would take forever.

Recently I Took the plunge and (found a sale) bought a bunch of Mobil 1 0w30. I am running a Motorcraft FL400s filter ( It took me 6 1/4 quarts to top off with this filter normally it's 5 and 3/4 so the oversized filter increased my capacity by 1/2 quart, not bad.
I plan to run this for a full year at a time. It probably wont be over 10k miles , likely much less with my use. I also use products such as Lube control and Fuel power to prevent oxidation of the oil and clean and dry my fuel system. I pulled a sample of my last conventional fill when I drained it was only 5 months old with 2500 miles but I am going to send it in for analysis to make sure I have no problems with my engines health before stretching the intervals.

I maintain 3 vehicles now(well 2 and stare at the other one wanting to wrench it.) The Tacoma, a mitsubishi outlander and a BMW z-4(I can't touch it according to my wife :rolleyes: )

The truck has the hardest life when it gets used. Most of it's trips are over 10 or many more miles but they usually include hard work, offroad conditions and me as a driver.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bryanccfshr said:
LOL Sorry I was getting a bit impatient and tired last night:) I am here to help.

I don't put many miles on my Truck. It's a 2002 Dbl cab and only has ~ 23,450 miles. It gets used infrequently for chores and recreational offroading and fishing trips.
In the past I was changing the oil every 6 months with conventional oil and a Toyota filter. Never reaching 3K miles in that time frame. To be honest the oil I was using would make 5k with no problems but would take forever.

Recently I Took the plunge and (found a sale) bought a bunch of Mobil 1 0w30. I am running a Motorcraft FL400s filter ( It took me 6 1/4 quarts to top off with this filter normally it's 5 and 3/4 so the oversized filter increased my capacity by 1/2 quart, not bad.
I plan to run this for a full year at a time. It probably wont be over 10k miles , likely much less with my use. I also use products such as Lube control and Fuel power to prevent oxidation of the oil and clean and dry my fuel system. I pulled a sample of my last conventional fill when I drained it was only 5 months old with 2500 miles but I am going to send it in for analysis to make sure I have no problems with my engines health before stretching the intervals.

I maintain 3 vehicles now(well 2 and stare at the other one wanting to wrench it.) The Tacoma, a mitsubishi outlander and a BMW z-4(I can't touch it according to my wife :rolleyes: )

The truck has the hardest life when it gets used. Most of it's trips are over 10 or many more miles but they usually include hard work, offroad conditions and me as a driver.
No worries here man, im sorry for being lazy. Now as far as the filter mag is concerened you think its a waste of money? Ive got one on my tranny filter setup and im courious in about a year from now if it will catch anything when i cut it open. I have a permacool remote tranny filter hooked up between my stock cooler and the trd cooler.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
On the Remote tranny filter I think it's a great idea.

For our engine filters and the way that they are mounted an external magnet gives me some hesitation. After sutdown eventually the oill will seep past the ADBV in the filter and back into the crankcase if it is parked for a long time. Any contaminants captured in the filter can but not imbedded into the filter media can find there way back into the sump this way.
My fear is that the magnets would draw metalic particles away from the media and to the side of the can. If a magnet is incedently moved or comes off there wold be a larger amount of material releas to the filter. Not fully understanding the nature of bypass valves in filters it could be in partial bypass mode due to a surge in oil pressure (driver is passing on highway, offorad and giving it the skinny over rough trail section..etc)
Magent falss off releasing more than normal particles, bypass partially open, Unfiltered abrasive oil making it's way into bearings. Not catastrophic, and entirely theororatical on my part, but for the oil filter I think they work best as designed.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bryanccfshr said:
On the Remote tranny filter I think it's a great idea.

For our engine filters and the way that they are mounted an external magnet gives me some hesitation. After sutdown eventually the oill will seep past the ADBV in the filter and back into the crankcase if it is parked for a long time. Any contaminants captured in the filter can but not imbedded into the filter media can find there way back into the sump this way.
My fear is that the magnets would draw metalic particles away from the media and to the side of the can. If a magnet is incedently moved or comes off there wold be a larger amount of material releas to the filter. Not fully understanding the nature of bypass valves in filters it could be in partial bypass mode due to a surge in oil pressure (driver is passing on highway, offorad and giving it the skinny over rough trail section..etc)
Magent falss off releasing more than normal particles, bypass partially open, Unfiltered abrasive oil making it's way into bearings. Not catastrophic, and entirely theororatical on my part, but for the oil filter I think they work best as designed.
Ive had my filter mag on my remote tranny filter for about 6 months and has not shifted at all. I got the ss series which is designed for heavy duty use which is supposed to be a stronger magnet according to filter mag.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Regardless of which brand of filter you buy, the oversized filter that works well on Taco 3.4 liter engines are the ones intended for V6 Jeep Liberty's. Been using these larger filters on my Taco V6 for the past few years with good results.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Ive had my filter mag on my remote tranny filter for about 6 months and has not shifted at all. I got the ss series which is designed for heavy duty use which is supposed to be a stronger magnet according to filter mag.
Yeah I researched these today. They seem to have improved alot. I have even seen filter mags that sandwisch between the filter and the block. Only problem with those is I wouldn't be able to use my extra long fl400s filter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Firescooby said:
This is my experience on Mobil 1 filter. On my 2002 Tacoma V6 I ran Mobil 1 5k miles with oversized WIX filter, oversized Mobil 1 filter, and oversized Toyota (Lexus) filter. I did a used oil analysis after each of these intervals. With the Mobil 1 filter the solubles were less, but the wear metals (copper, lead) were significantly higher than with the WIX and Toyota. Also on BITOG it is the general consensus that the Mobil 1 filter is good, but TOO restrictive. Bob ran a test with many filters and hooked a pressure gauge up after the filter. IIRC the Mobil 1 was around 30psi while the others were 40-45 psi.

My tests indicated that for my truck/engine the WIX is the best filter for the money. Plus the filter I run in almost 1.5 inches longer than what is recommended with the same thread pitch and bypass psi. I run WIX on my 2004, my wife's 2005 Sienna and my John Deere lawnmower.
Hey Scooby- do you know if the M1 209 has the same bypass psi as stock? I wonder if that has something to do with the lower pressure in the system? Thanks for the heads up on the M1...I am changing my oil this weekend and was just about to pick one up, but now I'll stick with the WIX 51516 (thanks for the tip on that one too!)

Craig

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Someone has to know, if this helps im getting a filter mag from www.filtermag.com to attach to the filter.
Whats your reasoning for using this? Seems like snake oil to me. That magnetic has to pretty powerful to capture all the tiny pieces of metal thats from normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
camaddy said:
Hey Scooby- do you know if the M1 209 has the same bypass psi as stock? I wonder if that has something to do with the lower pressure in the system? Thanks for the heads up on the M1...I am changing my oil this weekend and was just about to pick one up, but now I'll stick with the WIX 51516 (thanks for the tip on that one too!)

Craig
Not sure on the 209. I think the stock spec is 8-11 psi.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.