TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you all thought is a good number of rigs, per run is ?

I know on some runs, having a large number of rigs can be a pain, EX. we ran China Wall a few months ago, had 12 rigs:eek: it was a long day, and we didnt even get to finish the trail as it got dark, lol
Dont get me wrong, it was a blast, seeing the jeeps, nissans and yotas but still lots of people and not enough time, lol.

So do you have a number that you would like to around ?

IMHO a good number of rigs is about 5, but everyone is different, lol yea from time to time having a LARGE turnout is great, like the old Jambos, were we had like 15-20 rigs on the trail, lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just wondering what you all thought is a good number of rigs, per run is ?

I know on some runs, having a large number of rigs can be a pain, EX. we ran China Wall a few months ago, had 12 rigs:eek: it was a long day, and we didnt even get to finish the trail as it got dark, lol
Dont get me wrong, it was a blast, seeing the jeeps, nissans and yotas but still lots of people and not enough time, lol.

So do you have a number that you would like to around ?

IMHO a good number of rigs is about 5, but everyone is different, lol yea from time to time having a LARGE turnout is great, like the old Jambos, were we had like 15-20 rigs on the trail, lol

i'd say it's more dependent on the trail - there are some trails that would be literally impossible if you had more than 5 rigs. i'd say 5 is the sweet spot, but that's just my opinion. we had like 13 or so on slaughterhouse, and that was fine - but it was not a tough trail.

·
7,735 Posts
I like to run with 3-5 rigs. Bigger than that, and it tends to break into 2 or more groups in my experience.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just did Mettberry Gulch on Saturday and we had 16 rigs in the party. That wasn't bad in itself, but we met a group of 18 Rovers, another with 4 or 5 pickups, and then the few score quads. Still, it didn't take us long to get to the river to have our picnic, and the trip out was encounterless. I've done Eagle Rock with 10+ setup rigs and it has gone fine. I've done it with 5 semi-stock rigs and the day was long. I have never turned anyone away, or tried to discourage them, and I hope the situation never comes up, but I have agreed with drivers when they decided to leave their vehicles and ride with someone else.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
x2 what arrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh said...totally depends on the trail and the makeup of vehicles and drivers in the group. For some of the long, moderately difficult trails in the Moab area, I wouldn't mind a dozen vehicles in a group, even if that means occasionally two separate groups, like Doug was saying (yup, it happens...sometimes a large group is spontaneous, as is separation). For a short, small, difficult trail, no less than three and no more than six...

...but there are always exceptions. If ("when", dammit! :lmao:) I post a run, I wouldn't set a min or max, but I would certainly explain if the route would lend itself better to a certain size, build, or mindset (overland vs crawling vs hauling). Everybody is gonna take to it a little different, so I see a good bit of compromise as a necessity, as far as pace, play time, photos, and so forth.

The only time I'd specify limits would be as I've done in the past, where permits are required and group sizes are limited by the Park Service.

-Sean

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
ya its all about the trail and who is running it. some more difficult trails a smaller but capable group is great. but on easier trails half the fun is running them with a larger group.

·
20,355 Posts
depends on the trail, the group and the purpose of the run. 5-6 is what i prefer as the upper limit though.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I think that the OP should indicate the rig limit when they post up about a run. I like 4-6 any more and it's a cluster, any fewer and it's not enough for a large recovery.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that the OP should indicate the rig limit when they post up about a run. I like 4-6 any more and it's a cluster, any fewer and it's not enough for a large recovery.
thats a great idea, but it might cause hurt feelings. I think 4-6 rigs on a run is the "sweet spot" as said, and I do agree if the trail warrents it more is also fun.
That China Wall I was talking about a fun day, but only 2 rigs got to play on the rocky down hill section, as it was getting dark and started snowing, I would have LOVED to take the "minivan" down it, lol but no time.. I did though at a later run, made it down without any problems/issues :cool:
anyways, I like the idea of the OP posting up a good number of rigs for his run :cool:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Having run my first with this (or any) group today, I have to say the topic crossed my mind. As the least built rig on the run and least experienced driver, I never felt rushed by the others or like they thought I was necessarily holding them back. But *I* felt like and know I was sometimes.

I think it would have to depend on a lot of factors - rigs, drivers, purpose of run... But basically I'd say that 4-6 range is probably better all around even though I guess it felt small for what I expected. Larger groups seem like they would be somewhat limited to travel only, no or very little playing or anything else. Smaller groups are easier to manage if everyone wants to work an obstacle, or maybe you have some similar style drivers (ie stop a lot to take pictures vs only stop at obstacles, etc.).

·
7,735 Posts
As the least built rig on the run and least experienced driver, I never felt rushed by the others or like they thought I was necessarily holding them back. But *I* felt like and know I was sometimes.
Get used to that. I still feel that way from time to time and my truck has a mild/standard build. I've even heard AxleIke say that and he's locked F/R with a crawler.

I chalk it up to just what happens when you're trying to advance yourself. You're going to try something a little harder than you normally run and it's going to take time.

Use a little trail etiquette (3-try rule self-imposed) and pay attention to the general mood of the run (long run? troubled run? change the number of attempts at bigger obstacles or pass on them this time around) and people in this club are pretty forgiving. I know I love watching somebody try the big lines even if they can't quite make them.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yep, once again depends on the trail. Last year we ran Red Elephant hill with about 10-12 rigs. Needless to say, it was a long day.;)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Depends on the trail and the people...I have had huge runs with laid back people and they were great. I have also had small runs with people in a hurry or people that get pissy and it kills the run. Plus if rigs are not prepared then it adds a damper. Big thing for me is Respect for others on the run,3-5 attempts if it doesnt take an hour and not having to stop every 20 feet for a fix. Rushing is out of the question for me on a run because the reason i wheel is to escape all the BS and rushing around.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Well obviously harder runs, the OP can negate some of the # of rigs rule by posting minimum gear needed for the trail. (Example last weekends Holy Cross run, a rear locker and 33's with full tow points and recovery gear - as well as a spare CV axle was REQUIRED) That cut the number of rigs down. But we also made it very clear that if someone wanted to come and Ride along (because their rig wasn't up to the specs for that trail) we would do what we could to accommodate them.

I think that is my point. If you limit the number on a trail, at least maybe make an effort to allow for those who want to go, at least ride along?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts