Discussion Starter #1
My wife hits me with her car cause she was pissed at me,

SHOULD I PRESS CHARGES?

Keep in mind we are separated and getting a divorce

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
YES!

Physical abuse is wrong no matter what sex. If you don't do anything, from what I know about your situation it will continue to escalate.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Was a police report written at the time of the incident?

If not, you're going to have a hard time convincing a judge the event actually occured unless she admits to it.

I agree 100% that you should press charges, but just throwing a fact out there.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes a police report will be written, right after I see my doctor.

This just happened only about 1 hour ago, and my knees and back are killing me, but yes there definately will be report as soon as I leave my doctor

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Where did this happen? Were there any witnesses? Time to get the law involved with this one.

·
7,735 Posts
100% without a doubt yes.

We can only control our reaction to a given set of circumstances... there are no exceptions to having to take personal responsibility for those reactions.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Really, really glad you're not bad hurt.

What the fuck :eek::eek::mad:...

Yeah...yeah, you should. :mad: Even if it's only to get it on record and bring her back down to earth :mad:. Really...what the fuck?

Dammit...:( I just lost a lot of respect for her, hearing this :(...and I am totally confused, too...people can do the strangest things, but...really? With a fucking car? :mad:

Man, I am about ready to want to yell at her myself. I know you have a lot of family support, outside of this little family here :xsmokin1:..they know about this yet?

I know if I ever had anything violent or abusive happen between a girl and I, it'd be over...wouldn't even want to see her again without somebody else present as backup, and wouldn't trust her again either.

-Sean

·
Registered
434 Posts
+1, file charges. especially if you're going thru a divorce - like someone said earlier, it'll only get worse.

i know you don't want to, and i completely understand how you feel. on the same token, if you don't, she'll get away with it and think it's either a) ok to push you around or b) ok to push anyone around. don't give her that satisfaction.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i filed a police report with the VA police and she is no longer allowed on their property.

the officer just called me back and said that federally they can't do anything but keep it on record, but he did tell me who to call with Denver PD and he said that it is a domestic violence case with aggrevated assault.

and yes i am giving them a call tonight

·
Registered
434 Posts
glad to hear it bro. hope shit stops hitting you so hard, i don't know you personnally but i have read a few threads from you...

just keep in mind that w/o pain, pleasure would be nothing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey Matt, probably should get the law involved. That is really messed up what she did. At the very least, they will probably order her to complete domestic violence counseling classes. That could be a good thing. :D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I had an abusive girlfriend, once. The neighbors called the police and said she was being abusive and I was trying to get away. The police hauled me off in handcuffs. She thought that she was in the right and showed up at my parents house and pushed my mom down, broke the front door, and kicked the dog because she "loved me" and couldn't understand why I didn't want to be around her.

DON'T let her get away with it. Don't go easy on her. Don't Forget about it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: fucking bitches.

You've been through enough already with the military stuff you shouldn't have to deal with broken legs and all that on top of it.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Give me call if you'd like Matt. Document, document, document: phone calls, voicemail, email, letters/notes, comments to/from relatives/friends. If the police don't make an arrest, get a restraining order. If they do, make sure a temporary restraining order is issued because the charges include domestic violence. If being hit by a car is the first stage in an escalating pattern of violence, this needs to be nipped in the bud ASAP.

And to clarify, in Colorado, you do not press charges, that state does, so all you have to do is report the crime, and if probable cause exists, the police should arrest and the DA prosecutes.

18-6-800.3. Definitions.

As used in this part 8, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Domestic violence" means an act or threatened act of violence upon a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship. "Domestic violence" also includes any other crime against a person, or against property, including an animal, or any municipal ordinance violation against a person, or against property, including an animal, when used as a method of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed against a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship.

(2) "Intimate relationship" means a relationship between spouses, former spouses, past or present unmarried couples, or persons who are both the parents of the same child regardless of whether the persons have been married or have lived together at any time.

18-6-801.5. Domestic violence - evidence of similar transactions.

(1) The general assembly hereby finds that domestic violence is frequently cyclical in nature, involves patterns of abuse, and can consist of harm with escalating levels of seriousness. The general assembly therefore declares that evidence of similar transactions can be helpful and is necessary in some situations in prosecuting crimes involving domestic violence.

(2) In criminal prosecutions involving domestic violence in which the defendant and the victim named in the information have engaged in an intimate relationship as of the time alleged in the information, evidence of any other acts of domestic violence between the defendant and the victim named in the information, and between the defendant and other persons, constitute other acts or transactions for the purposes of this section, and the court may authorize the admission of evidence as provided in subsection (3) of this section.

(3) The proponent of evidence of other acts or transactions under this section shall advise the trial court by offer of proof of such evidence and shall specify whether the evidence is offered to show a common plan, scheme, design, identity, modus operandi, motive, or guilty knowledge or for some other purpose.

(4) Upon the offer of proof under subsection (3) of this section, the trial court shall determine whether the probative value of the evidence of similar acts or transactions is substantially outweighed by the danger of unfair prejudice to the defendant, confusion of the issues, or misleading of the jury if the evidence is allowed or by considerations of undue delay, waste of time, or needless presentation of cumulative evidence.

(5) Upon admitting evidence of other acts or transactions into evidence pursuant to this section and again in the general charge to the jury, the trial court shall direct the jury as to the limited purpose for which the evidence is admitted and for which the jury may consider it.

18-6-801.6. Domestic violence - summons and complaint.

Any person completing or preparing a summons, complaint, summons and complaint, indictment, information, or application for an arrest warrant shall indicate on the face of such document whether the facts forming the basis of the alleged criminal act, if proven, could constitute domestic violence as defined in section 18-6-800.3 (1).

18-6-803.6. Duties of peace officers and prosecuting agencies - preservation of evidence.

(1) When a peace officer determines that there is probable cause to believe that a crime or offense involving domestic violence, as defined in section 18-6-800.3 (1), has been committed, the officer shall, without undue delay, arrest the person suspected of its commission pursuant to the provisions in subsection (2) of this section, if applicable, and charge the person with the appropriate crime or offense. Nothing in this subsection (1) shall be construed to require a peace officer to arrest both parties involved in an alleged act of domestic violence when both claim to have been victims of such domestic violence. Additionally, nothing in this subsection (1) shall be construed to require a peace officer to arrest either party involved in an alleged act of domestic violence when a peace officer determines there is no probable cause to believe that a crime or offense of domestic violence has been committed. The arrested person shall be removed from the scene of the arrest and shall be taken to the peace officer's station for booking, whereupon the arrested person may be held or released in accordance with the adopted bonding schedules for the jurisdiction in which the arrest is made.

(2) If a peace officer receives complaints of domestic violence from two or more opposing persons, the officer shall evaluate each complaint separately to determine if a crime has been committed by one or more persons. In determining whether a crime has been committed by one or more persons, the officer shall consider the following:

(a) Any prior complaints of domestic violence;

(b) The relative severity of the injuries inflicted on each person;

(c) The likelihood of future injury to each person; and

(d) The possibility that one of the persons acted in self-defense.

(3) (a) A peace officer is authorized to use every reasonable means to protect the alleged victim or the alleged victim's children to prevent further violence. Such peace officer may transport, or obtain transportation for, the alleged victim to shelter. Upon the request of the protected person, the peace officer may also transport the minor child of the protected person, who is not an emancipated minor, to the same shelter if such shelter is willing to accept the child, whether or not there is a custody order or an order for the care and control of the child or an order allocating parental responsibilities with respect to the child and whether or not the other parent objects. A peace officer who transports a minor child over the objection of the other parent shall not be held liable for any damages that may result from interference with the custody, parental responsibilities, care, and control of or access to a minor child in complying with this subsection (3).

(b) For purposes of this subsection (3), "shelter" means a battered women's shelter, a friend's or family member's home, or such other safe haven as may be designated by the protected person and which is within a reasonable distance from the location at which the peace officer found the victim.

(4) (a) The arresting agency shall make reasonable efforts to collect and preserve any pertinent evidence until the time of final disposition of the matter, including, but not limited to, the following:

(I) Any dispatch tape recording relating to the event;

(II) Any on-scene video or audio tape recordings;

(III) Any medical records of treatment of the alleged victim or the defendant; and

(IV) Any other relevant physical evidence or witness statements.

(b) However, in the absence of bad faith, any failure to collect or preserve any evidence listed in paragraph (a) of this subsection (4) shall not be grounds to dismiss the matter.

(4.5) When a peace officer responds to a call or is otherwise responding to a report about an alleged offense involving domestic violence, as defined in section 18-6-800.3 (1), or other domestic dispute, the officer shall include in his or her written or oral report concerning such incident whether children may have seen or heard the alleged offense; except that, in the absence of bad faith, the failure of a peace officer to note that a child may have seen or heard the alleged offense shall not be grounds to dismiss the matter.

(5) A peace officer shall not be held civilly or criminally liable for acting pursuant to this section if the peace officer acts in good faith and without malice.

18-3-205. Vehicular assault.

(1) (a) If a person operates or drives a motor vehicle in a reckless manner, and this conduct is the proximate cause of serious bodily injury to another, such person commits vehicular assault.

(b) (I) If a person operates or drives a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or one or more drugs, or a combination of both alcohol and one or more drugs, and this conduct is the proximate cause of a serious bodily injury to another, such person commits vehicular assault. This is a strict liability crime.

(c) Vehicular assault, in violation of paragraph (a) of this subsection (1), is a class 5 felony. Vehicular assault, in violation of paragraph (b) of this subsection (1), is a class 4 felony.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Holy Mackerel!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts