TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the '06 4X2 Taco with the rear locker. I bought it primarily to go camping with and hit some fun trails in the process. Not looking to do any serious rock climbing, etc...but I would like some opinions about what the limits of my truck are and what type of obstacles the rear locker will get me through...and what I should avoid. The taco is stock and I am keeping it ai-is.

My off road experience has been limited to rock climbing using a built rig with front and rear air lockers.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Welcome!

You'll be able to do A LOT more than you think, but you better armor up first. With a Prerunner, you don't have a low range, so you're gonna have to take obstacles faster than a 4WD. More momentum = more chance for damage. I didn't do much 'wheeling in my previous truck - there's a few people who have had prerunners and converted them to 4WD that can better explain the capabilities!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used to go a lot places in a full size short bed chevy pu.
You have to plan to do the hard spots down hill. Go with a group and we will make sure you come home or let you know its not doable and offer a ride or even a drive.
You'll get the bug and be 4 wheeling in no time

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Wopspice said:
I have the '06 4X2 Taco with the rear locker. I bought it primarily to go camping with and hit some fun trails in the process. Not looking to do any serious rock climbing, etc...but I would like some opinions about what the limits of my truck are and what type of obstacles the rear locker will get me through...and what I should avoid. The taco is stock and I am keeping it ai-is.

My off road experience has been limited to rock climbing using a built rig with front and rear air lockers.
Talk to SAR_Squid79 about wheelin a 2wd truck. :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
There are plenty of trails that you can do with a locked Pre-Runner...
Basic stuff like this

Or you can take it out to the open spaces in the Dez... And even go run some dunes such as Glamis...

Yer just going to have to work the truck harder to maintain momentum in some stituations... I'd purdy much stay away from any type of rock work... Even a really rutted up trail might be a larger challenge then yer ready for... Unless you really don't give a shiat whether you break yer junk... But along the lines of "Tread Lightly"... Know yer trucks limitations so you don't destroy the trail spinning up yer tires trying to do shiat yer rig is not capable of... If I had a Pre-Runner... I'd spend most my time in the Dez... As most of the Pre-Runner members around these parts do... Check out the Dezert/LT Folder and get hooked up with those guys... When we (SoCal/TTORA) set up runs... we usually try and accomodate Pre-Runners to include them in the easy runs... When possible

Have fun...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
TacoDell
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing