TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to get the word out to our legislators in opposition to these bills!!!:mad:

SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No. 17 – April 25, 2007

OFF-ROAD TRAILS (AND SALES) THREATENED IN WASHINGTON, UTAH

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed legislation to create a 106,000-acre wilderness area in Washington's Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. The SEMA-opposed bill would close existing roads and trails. SEMA supports an alternative approach that would set aside 13,000 acres to allow the continued use of these routes.

Wilderness designations are consequential to SEMA members since they potentially deny access to off-roaders and curtail the equipment they purchase for back-country activities. SEMA supports cooperative approaches to wilderness issues, such as establishing adjacent or nearby areas that are open to off-highway use. This includes “cherry-stem” roads as off-road corridors within the wilderness areas.

Congressional Democrats have also introduced legislation called “America's Red Rock Wilderness Act” to set aside 9.4 million acres of land in Utah as wilderness. The land is controlled by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and is located in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Capitol Reef National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and other areas.

The goal of the legislation is to prevent road building, mining and drilling operations and off-road vehicle use. For example, the bill threatens to close nearly 700 miles of legal, designated off-road trails in the San Rafael Swell. The SEMA-opposed legislation was introduced by lawmakers from Illinois and New York and lacks the support of the Utah Congressional delegation.

SEMA is working with other organizations in the off-road community such as the Off-Road Business Association (ORBA), Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC), Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) and American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) on these and other bills in Congress that threaten existing roads and trails.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Try this for info...

http://durbin.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=272633A

copy of the letter I wrote, feel free to plagerize i.e. copy and paste

Dear Mr. Durbin,

I read the announcement today regarding your intent to re-introduce a bill protecting America's red rock deserts.

I am an avid camper, sightseer, and lover of the environment. However, I see all the sights and travel to all these spectacular places in my 4-wheel drive vehicle.

I am asking that you do not close the off road vehicle trails in Moab, Utah. I am an avid four-wheeler, and we ARE stewards of the LAND. We care about the environment. We are legitimate responsible recreationists and should be recognized as such.

I can agree with the halt in the new commercial enterprise/development, oil and gas exploration, and road building, but you make yourself out to be an elitist when you exclude 4-wheel drive recreation from the list of "non-consumptive" recreationists.

How are motorized/mechanized vehicles "consumptive" in the red rock desert or anywhere else for that matter?

Respectfully,

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
BLUERIBBON COALITION ACTION ALERT:

MOAB BLM SCHEDULED TO RELEASE DRAFTS OF NEW MANAGEMENT PLAN THIS SUMMER

ANALYSIS OF PRELIMINARY ALTERNATIVES POSTED ON SHARETRAILS.ORG

Greetings BRC members, supporters and Action Alert Subscribers,

The Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) Moab and Monticello Field Offices are preparing new Resource Management Plans and new Travel Management Plans. There isn't an activity occurring in these two field offices that won't be affected by these new plans.

BLM began this process back in 2003. During 2003 and 2004 the Moab BLM held meetings and received public comment on various planning issues.

Since that time the BLM has been working to formulate a range of management alternatives, each with a different theme or emphasis. BLM is set to release a Draft Resource Management Plan, Draft Comprehensive Travel Management Plan and the related Draft Environmental Impact Statement(s) (Draft EIS) in the summer of 2007.

The Moab BLM has given the public a 'sneak peak' at their proposed management alternatives. The information is available on the web at: www.blm.gov/rmp/ut/moab/ BRC has reviewed the information and posted a brief analysis on our website. Just go to www.sharetrails.organd click the "Moab Update" button on the right.

Moab BLM is proposing drastic changes from traditional public land management!

BLM is proposing huge changes from what is currently allowed. Much of the proposed management is decidedly "Park-like." While some of the changes are needed, and BRC will be supporting the BLM on many of these, others are arbitrary and unnecessary.

Beginning sometime this summer, the BLM will move to a critically important stage in the process: the release of the Draft Plans and Draft EIS. There will be a limited public review and comment period in which all of the various stakeholder groups as well as the general public can submit comments and suggestions to the BLM.

Anti recreation groups such as the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) have staff to review the environmental analysis to find flaws that will nudge the final decision their way. Indeed, many stakeholders are paying for professional review of these documents in order to protect their interests. The OHV community must do this as well.

As always, funds for such an effort are limited. In order to raise funds for this important effort, BRC is initiating the "Moab Partnership" program.

Partners make a pledge of $10.00 per month or make a one-time Partnership donation of $120.00 to enroll for one year. Your donation is placed in a restricted account to be used for efforts related to the BLM's Moab and Monticello Field Office planning processes.

BRC's Moab Partners will receive the Moab Update, a special quarterly newsletter dedicated to the latest news on BLM's planning process. The Moab Update will keep you informed about how your donation is being used and is the best way to keep informed about potential changes in the Moab area. In addition, BRC's Moab Partners receive a limited edition "Moab Partner" T-Shirt and sticker combo. Check the details on BRC's Moab Partnership page: http://www.sharetrails.org/public_lands/index.cfm?section=Moab2

Why is this so important?

Let me explain it this way; future recreational uses in the Moab area will depend on how the Final Resource Management Plan and Travel Plan are written. That's because these agency plans are open to interpretation and revision via appeal and litigation.

The best example I can give on this is the way BLM's preliminary alternatives are currently written. In the Bookcliffs Special Recreation Management Area (see Appendix F ) the Moab BLM has the management proscription as "primitive" in the administrative setting (no motorized and no mountain bikes allowed). But the travel plan shows roads and trails in the area and BLM admits some mountain bike trails may exist there. Which will hold sway when SUWA or some other radical group marches in to federal court to close a road? The answer depends on the way the document is written!

We are going to need a full team of legal professionals, NEPA experts and even biologists if we are going to stop the unfair and arbitrary closures. That will require a commitment from the very people who enjoy this wonderful area. This is why joining our Moab Partnership is so important.

I want to thank you in advance for your help. Together, we can keep this spectacular recreation destination open.

Brian Hawthorne
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

More info on the web:
BRC'S MOAB UPDATE PAGE http://www.sharetrails.org/public_lands/index.cfm?section=MoabUpdate

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Try this for info...

copy of the letter I wrote, feel free to plagerize i.e. copy and paste

Dear Mr. Durbin,

I read the announcement today regarding your intent to re-introduce a bill protecting America's red rock deserts.

I am an avid camper, sightseer, and lover of the environment. However, I see all the sights and travel to all these spectacular places in my 4-wheel drive vehicle.

I am asking that you do not close the off road vehicle trails in Moab, Utah. I am an avid four-wheeler, and we ARE stewards of the LAND. We care about the environment. We are legitimate responsible recreationists and should be recognized as such.

I can agree with the halt in the new commercial enterprise/development, oil and gas exploration, and road building, but you make yourself out to be an elitist when you exclude 4-wheel drive recreation from the list of "non-consumptive" recreationists.

How are motorized/mechanized vehicles "consumptive" in the red rock desert or anywhere else for that matter?

I as a responsible offroad enthusiast, take necessary precautions to help preserve nature as it was found. It is by these precautions and stewardship that I can enjoy such beauty that Moab provides. It is my hope you look at this bill with an objective mind, as the offroad community provides great benefits to the outdoors.

For further thought on the subject, please consider creating a bill which promotes each individual to provide stewardship of the land. In such a bill allow for a state sponsered event which includes offroad enthusiasts, hikers, campers, nature lovers, and the commen people to take part of cleanup activities and events. With such a responsible and objective outlook you are bound to bolster support of such a bill, and unify rather than seperate those who care so much for the beauty of Moab.

Respectfully,

Well written reply, I added a little to it and submitted it to Durbin. Thanks for doing your part!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So whose office should receive my letter of condemnation?
Exactly, you post up good information but have none on who to contact.
The more I thought about this the madder I got...The first sentence of my post states "We need to get the word out to our legislators in opposition to these bills!!!" this was a action item and did let people know who to send thier condemnation letter too.

To follow up a informative post with replies as to "how bad you did it' and "you didn't tell me what to do" is uncalled for. We are (must of us at least of us are) adults here and know that when a land use issue is brought up you need to contact your legislators, land use groups, etc. It shouldn't have to be listed out in a step by step instruction sheet to be a good post.

I'm sorry I didn't post this information to your standards with the little time I had "while at work" that day - I will try and refrain from posting in the future.

Terry

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The more I thought about this the madder I got...The first sentence of my post states "We need to get the word out to our legislators in opposition to these bills!!!" this was a action item and did let people know who to send thier condemnation letter too.

To follow up a informative post with replies as to "how bad you did it' and "you didn't tell me what to do" is uncalled for. We are (must of us at least of us are) adults here and know that when a land use issue is brought up you need to contact your legislators, land use groups, etc. It shouldn't have to be listed out in a step by step instruction sheet to be a good post.

I'm sorry I didn't post this information to your standards with the little time I had "while at work" that day - I will try and refrain from posting in the future.

Terry
Easy keller, take out your aggression in writing a letter to your legislater as you propose. If your that thin skinned you really should find some other activity other than the internet.

I appreciate you making any post that will bring some awareness to the critical issue of land use. As for "making it simple" this is the internet which is full of lazy people that wont do more than a "right click" to get something done. If it isnt rediculously easy most just keep right on going with the rest of the herd.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If your that thin skinned you really should find some other activity other than the internet.
Didn't realize Gore invented the Internet for only the thick skinned :D

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
And you don't know who your representatives are either? You're doing an awful lot of talking about what should and shouldn't be concering off road not to know this much.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
He has a valid complaint against you. You showed your total ignorance and disregard when you posted that.

He shouldn't have to tell you to get off your lazy ass and communicate with your elected representatives and know who they are.

When election day rolls around again, please just stay home and watch football on TV or something.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You!! fuckstick. LOL
Don't you know how to find thread display mode? Does your mommy still wipe your ass for you?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
1 Letter to my Rep, 1 letter to each Senator.

Within 24 hours I got this benign doublespeak:

Dear Mr. King:

Thank you for contacting me regarding environmental issues. I welcome your thoughts and comments on this issue.

I believe our natural heritage is irreplaceable and should be preserved for the enjoyment and education of future generations. However, we must seek a balance between maintaining the integrity of our natural resources and encouraging economic growth, which will shape America's future. I am convinced of the need for closer scrutiny of environmental regulations and of the imperative for legislation which will allow businesses across this country to flourish. These are mutually achievable goals, and they are the principles with which I will judge any legislation concerning the environment.

I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to keep in touch on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Yeah well both of the bitches out here put me on their email list. I write in, the next thing ya know I've got their prattle showing up in my email every few days.
I think it is some kind of retaliation measure. You know woman scorned and all that shit so they nag me back. Women are good at that shit too because it comes natural to them. That's all I need, a constant reminder that those two clowns are in office.

I have to do the opt-out thing to remove myself every damn time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts