TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went off roading yesterday and left the rear locker on the whole time in the dirt and of course I was going more than the "recommended" 5 mph. Just wondering if thats a bad idea. To me, it actually felt like it handled a lot better with it on.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
I can't believe you would do that! :eek: It's completely OK to leave the locker on all day offroad if you want. Just remember for pavement.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
bigwilliesty1e said:
I went off roading yesterday and left the rear locker on the whole time in the dirt and of course I was going more than the "recommended" 5 mph. Just wondering if thats a bad idea. To me, it actually felt like it handled a lot better with it on.
OMG!!! :eek: Your truck will explode if you do that!!

not really ;)

search "grey wire mod"

·
Registered
12 Posts
bigwilliesty1e said:
i used to watch some show on the speed channel where they fix your ride up.
i just can't recall the name right now, but they took some some guys front wheel drive toyota put a 22re 5spd truck motor (as i recall) in it and used the toyota electric locker for the rear end. the idea was to make it a drifter, which it seemed to do ok. i guess the point i'm tryint to make is that they at least imply the the locker could take the horse power/speed to drift, so i would think that the 5mph barrier toyota puts on the locker is for safty not mechanical.

·
Registered
327 Posts
ill answer all your questions..

the locker can not be locked or unlocked going over 5 mph...so going 10 mph.and you push lock..it wont lock..

drive wth it on doing 100mph..wont matter

·
Registered
140 Posts
what if you lock it under 5, then speed up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I lock up mine and go play in the mud, and the tires are moving from 5 mph to 40 mph. As long as you lock it under 5 mph, you can go as fast as you can.

·
Registered
668 Posts
like everyone else said, u r all good... reason u have to engage under 5mph is so the pin in the diff can fall into place to lock it up... if its spinnin at higher speeds when u try to lock, i can just imagine the carnage it would do to ur gears... then again, someone mentioned above that it wont engage if over 5 mph...

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
all of you need to search "grey wire mod" and read the writeups.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
good ideas are better than stupid ppl

hytenor said:

no no, cause that'd just be a stupid ass idea, wtf are you thinkin? jk... BTW, you get that damn crawler yet?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
wslytoy said:
no no, cause that'd just be a stupid ass idea, wtf are you thinkin? jk... BTW, you get that damn crawler yet?
not yet but soon I hope ;)

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
NorCal4life21 said:
what if you lock it under 5, then speed up?

:rolleyes: :bitchslap

Try reading the thread right up until you asked your question. Your answer was only posted 16.5 hours before you asked the question, and the best part is that the answer is in the post right before yours! :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
hytenor said:
I have a better idea Chris... Why not search "locker" before posting? Researching is a great thing to learn to do for everyday life.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
I have a better idea Chris... Why not search "locker" before posting? Researching is a great thing to learn to do for everyday life.
what's a locker? like what I have at skool for all my crap?

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Yes, But it goes in the back of your truck to hold tools and straps...you should use your locker offroad to keep the lid from opening and your tools from falling out. The reason toyota doesn't want people engaging the locker at more than 5 mph is it's hard to safely walk next to the bed and lock the locker and getr back into the truck much faser than that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
my bad, i must have looked it over. i havnt used my locker yet, but maybe ill try this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts