TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can u do normal offroading with long travil like muding and some light rock crawling or is it pointless. i live in texas so there is not a whole lot of flat ground or sand dunes to haul ass on.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
An LT setup will be better all the way around - more articulation in the rocks, wider track width for the mud, but the best and more cost-effective use for it is in the desert. The only place it would hurt you is in narrow spots on a trail or in the rocks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You still can wheel a long-traveled truck through mud or rocks. Just like you could race a mud boggin' chevy on 44's through the desert if you wanted. Just like you could put a stock vehicle through a lot of different terrain and wheeling styles.

But a mud bogger or a rock crawler is not going to perform in the desert like a long traveled truck will (rough ride and you'd end up breaking stuff.) A LT truck also will not make the best mud bogger in deep mud like running some 44's would. There is a reason trucks are built certain ways with certain components; they perform BEST in certain environments. That doesn't mean they WON'T wheel other areas. Consider this as well; a lot of LT trucks are 2wd. Would you confidently want to put one through a mud pit?

If you have the knowledge, time, money and ability to build a LT truck, you are doing it for a reason...to fly down a flat desert, riverbed etc and have a blast. You don't build LT just as a general wheeler. It sounds like you want to experiment with a lot of different terrain. If you buy an already LT truck, you should be doing so knowing the purpose for which it was built. It's kinda like if you have your favorite couple beers; you dabble in others and try new stuff, but you always come back to what you like. Maybe that wasn't the best metaphor but you get the point.

I don't what kind of truck you have, but if it is stock, try wheeling rocks, mud, sand, snow when you are still stock. You'll get a great appreciation for your truck and learn how to handle certain situations BEFORE you get a builtup rig, put yourself in a situation your TRUCK can handle, but YOU, as a driver, cannot. If you already have a built truck, learn what you enjoy wheeling and what your truck is best built for. You might be best getting some aftermarket coilovers and lifting it 2.5" or even doing something like 6" fabtech (only because they are basic, general wheeling lifts, and I wouldn't say they are built for a specific type of wheeling like LT or rock crawler would be.) Then you have a more capable than stock rig and you still try different stuff before you decide to go LT or SAS. :2cents:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yup, CO's and a leaf pack is the best all around setup.

but a 4x4 LT rig with a crawler is the direction i'm going;)

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Ted wheels his LT everywhere, talk with him...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have thought about running a crawler in a LT 4x4 but I think it's too much drive train weight for the amount of actual crawling I do.
but i dont plan on running anymore az courses..too rough:D breaking shock and shit

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
can u do normal offroading with long travil like muding and some light rock crawling or is it pointless. i live in texas so there is not a whole lot of flat ground or sand dunes to haul ass on.
I've always wondered this myself. It'd be nice to have an all purpose suspension setup, if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

i live in texas so there is not a whole lot of flat ground or sand dunes to haul ass on.
Haha, I too live in TX, but where I live, all we have is flat ground/beach to drive on. I can drive 4 hours north though and have nothing but rocks. Try some basic high quality coilovers, they'll help the ride a ton.
________
Honda SL70

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Thanks.....i guess im a lil bias since i only have 2WD......but IMO an IFS LT truck is way more versatile than a SAC truck...(not through experience though) :2cents:

·
Registered
379 Posts
The new issue of 4x4 and offroad actually has an article of TC LT on a 4runner. Not alot of pics, but cool that they are recognizing that style of suspension more and more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts