TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I will be headed to Alaska this Monday, August 8th, for a month. I was chosen to be on a new National Geographic show on gold mining in Alaska. We will basically only have what the old miners had back in the mid 1800's. That includes food, shelter, tools, and prospecting equipment. We will be spending four weeks up there prospecting every day, rain, snow, or shine. I have my backpack almost packed up and will be ready to head out at 6am on Monday. They will be filming all month and will be making 13 one hour episodes that should air sometime in the spring. Unfortunately I can not bring any firearms, so if I get attacked by a bear, I will have to take it down with my hands... lol or my sharpened stick I make when I get there :)

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Well that's something you don't hear about every day... awesome! Do you get to keep what you find, is it a contest, do you know where you're going (got family in Wrangell), did CoTTORA exist in 1800s? 'Cause you could sport a shirt, y'know... :cool:

Again, awesome!

>>Dan

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, I do get to keep what I find, and I don't think it will be a contest. I will be going to approximately 100 miles outside of Fairbanks, thats all they would tell us. Unfortunately, all logos will have to be covered up with tape. My company bought me a bunch of gear to take with me, and now come to find out I have to cover up all the logos, so it would be a no go for CoTTORA logo either.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! Good luck. Be safe.
What happened to that other Alaska gold mining show that was on?
Thanks, that other show is a joke. As a mining engineer, I can't even name what all they were doing wrong. I was laughing the whole time every time I watched it. Last I heard it will be on for another season this spring too. They are filming right now. If I had more time and didnt have to get back for class, I would go find them and laugh in person. or maybe they could pay me to come on for my "expertise"...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Well, good luck anyways! Should we start planning a "Welcome Back" trail run/party with your findings? :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks, that other show is a joke. As a mining engineer, I can't even name what all they were doing wrong. I was laughing the whole time every time I watched it. Last I heard it will be on for another season this spring too. They are filming right now. If I had more time and didnt have to get back for class, I would go find them and laugh in person. or maybe they could pay me to come on for my "expertise"...
I know what you mean. It's like watching a train wreck.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, good luck anyways! Should we start planning a "Welcome Back" trail run/party with your findings? :D
Well, my truck will not be trail worthy until I get my dual cases in. Front driveshaft is the problem, and I am not going to mess with it till the duals are in. I have everything I need, just need to get it done. Maybe a BBQ at my house and have some peeps over to help me get it done...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
You doing a square front shaft or ?? Need a welder or plasma cutter? I might know a guy... ;)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have about 10 stock shafts in my garage, I am going to piece one together using the parts I have. Probably wont need a plasma, and have access to a welder and a lathe.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Congrats, good luck, have fun... And find some good stuff! Any idea on the techniques you'll be using? Like most reality shows I doubt you'll be able to give updates from the field... But even if you keep it general... It would be fun to hear how you do. Do you guys have tolive like old miners in crappy canvas tents, using whale oil for fuel, and catching your own food too! God I hope not. Too bad you can't bring a defensive gun for bears and charging moose, but like most reality shows I assume that's for the group safety as there is allways one or 2 nut jobs that you don't want near a fire arm! Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Molly, We will mainly be confined to panning, but they did mention that a "surprise tool" or two could be given out. For the most part, I think we will be living in canvas tents and living like the old timers. In the first email I received after being accepted, they said that "very basic food" would be provided... And I was like what the hell does that mean?? They will explain more on that when we arrive. If I have to trap a rabbit or two, I am taking rope and string up with me :) I do understand the no guns part though.

I am not sure if this will be your regular reality show. Since it is being filmed by Nat Geo, I think it will be more educational, but that doesn't mean that drama won't happen. Especially with a bunch of people that have never met each other before. I will be out of range of any electronics use, so updates will have to wait till I get back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is one of the coolest things I have heard of in awhile and wish you best of luck with it. I watch all the old fashioned shows where people try and live like the old timers and do what they did and it is great to see people have to dig deep again and get things done. Huge fan already and wish you all the best on this adventure.

I love gold prospecting and wish I could make a carrier of it but I am just new to the hobby and still learning. Maybe sometime we could all do the gold prospecting outing that was talked about before, when you get back.

Again, very excited for you and hope that it is as amazing as it sounds.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is one of the coolest things I have heard of in awhile and wish you best of luck with it. I watch all the old fashioned shows where people try and live like the old timers and do what they did and it is great to see people have to dig deep again and get things done. Huge fan already and wish you all the best on this adventure.

I love gold prospecting and wish I could make a carrier of it but I am just new to the hobby and still learning. Maybe sometime we could all do the gold prospecting outing that was talked about before, when you get back.

Again, very excited for you and hope that it is as amazing as it sounds.
Yeah, I watch all those shows too, and I can not wait to head out! We will definitely have to get together to prospect when I get back. I should have even more knowledge about it when I get back, having done it all day every day for a whole month!

I hope you get a warm sleeping bag at least!
I am taking my 0 degree mummy bag with me, but my friend said it has been 60-70 every day, but it gets down into the 30's at night. I think I should be ok with that sleeping bag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts