TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Most people that i have seen are running foxes but you cant go wrong with kings either.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Good choice on the kit, you won't be disappointed. Fox for life here :xrocker:

Can't go wrong with stainless steel shafts! (aka no pitting) ;) Either Fox or King is what I'd suggest. But since you have Radflo rears you might want to match them. Unmatched shocks is one of my pet peeves, but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Huh...I actually worked on that store that shows the comparison since it's a Yahoo store. Pretty sure I did the side nav and breadcrumbs on it haha.

Oh and that comparison seemed a little biased to me. The only REAL reason I went with Fox was the stainless shafts and I get deals from them. The pain in the ass is going to San Diego to get them revalved/rebuilt when King is right in Garden Grove...stupid me

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've seen the internals of lots of Bilsteins, Stay-A-Ways, Foxes, and Kings, and I've had personal experiences with the latter three, and King is always my number one choice. I know that Fox makes a great shock, but I've had a few personal bad experiences with them, and if they were superior to King I don't think 90% of Trophy Trucks and Class 1s would be running Kings. Also, alot more people go from Fox to King rather than the other way around. In the end though, you probably can't go wrong with either two. Radflos and some of the other new kids on the block haven't really proved themselves yet; Bilsteins make a great mild off-road shock, and the Blackhawks are insane but expensive and still working out the bugs (not to mention not really applicable for our trucks); and SAWs should pretty much be avoided at all costs, though they have improved their shit so they are an option for a tight budget (though I would recommend used Foxes or Kings over new SAWs).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the kit. All is well. I'll have to compare prices between Radflo and Fox 8'' c/o's. If Fox isn't too much more I'll get them. Might end up selling my radflo's in the back and switch to fox too.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Belk's comment is probably the best since he's had experience with almost all of the shock co's

But ive heard great things about Radflo's, great price and a very friendly staff with great customer service....

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Or he works in a shop and rebuilds/revalves shocks all day ;)

King and Fox are very similar and each has small advantages over the other. It's a matter of personal preference here, even though Mike will put down my Fox's compared to his Kings haha.

SAW's leak and have had rusting issues in the past. Supposedly SAW fixed the seal issue and rusting issue, but since their customer service is just about terrible who knows. I consider the higher price you pay on Kings/Fox an investment of not dealing with these issues for the most part.

Radflo's from what I've seen are decent but still have a long way to go before they will be considered "proven" and used by race teams. I've seen people having issues with the seals on these shocks as well. I've never used them so I don't know. They do have good service and offer a 6 month free revalving service for their shocks.

Bilsteins for the most part are good, reliable shocks. From my experience they need to be rebuilt sooner than other brands but they hold their own.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

My ranking :p
1. Fox 2. King 3. Bilstein 4. Radlfo 5. Stay-A-Way

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I've seen the internals of lots of Bilsteins, Stay-A-Ways, Foxes, and Kings, and I've had personal experiences with the latter three, and King is always my number one choice. I know that Fox makes a great shock, but I've had a few personal bad experiences with them, and if they were superior to King I don't think 90% of Trophy Trucks and Class 1s would be running Kings. Also, alot more people go from Fox to King rather than the other way around. In the end though, you probably can't go wrong with either two. Radflos and some of the other new kids on the block haven't really proved themselves yet; Bilsteins make a great mild off-road shock, and the Blackhawks are insane but expensive and still working out the bugs (not to mention not really applicable for our trucks); and SAWs should pretty much be avoided at all costs, though they have improved their shit so they are an option for a tight budget (though I would recommend used Foxes or Kings over new SAWs).
I have a question about this.. DOes it really matter that Foxes have a bigger resi? Also about having Kings on 90% of trophy trucks and class 1, is it due to the support they get? Looking at a couple websites, KING VS Fox in performance seems to be about the same. Just wondering..

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have a question about this.. DOes it really matter that Foxes have a bigger resi? Also about having Kings on 90% of trophy trucks and class 1, is it due to the support they get? Looking at a couple websites, KING VS Fox in performance seems to be about the same. Just wondering..
No. The few more ounces of fluid doesn't help with cooling if that's what you're asking. The extra fluid really helps mainly with valving and marginally with cooling.

Kings are used because they favor that company over all others for reasons of performance, support, etc. :dunno:

Fox's can be a pain in the ass to get dialed in right from people I know and my own personal experience. I've never used Kings so I couldn't tell you how they are, that's Belk's department. Performance is about the same and it's debatable on which one is better. Like everything they each have their own pro's and con's.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
ya.. That is what I was just wondering. Seems like the foxes are alittle bit cheaper to rebuild as well?? Just wondering. I did the whole fox vs. kings and they seem very close to each other. WHere one is a little more of on the "con" side, the other winds up being the "pro" anyways.. I went with foxes since they were cheaper than Kings. But to each is own I guess right?

Tweeter, so if Im reading what you said right, that even though Fox has bigger resi, The resi holding a little more oil really wont do that much in valving and some cooling?? Then I wonder why they have a larger resi?? lol

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
ya.. That is what I was just wondering. Seems like the foxes are alittle bit cheaper to rebuild as well?? Just wondering. I did the whole fox vs. kings and they seem very close to each other. WHere one is a little more of on the "con" side, the other winds up being the "pro" anyways.. I went with foxes since they were cheaper than Kings. But to each is own I guess right?

Tweeter, so if Im reading what you said right, that even though Fox has bigger resi, The resi holding a little more oil really wont do that much in valving and some cooling?? Then I wonder why they have a larger resi?? lol
That comparison was a bit biased towards Fox IMO I don't think it was completely accurate. I go w/ Fox because of the deals I get, really once you're paying that much the difference in price is pretty marginal.

Ok...an emulsion shock (no reservoir) compared to a shock with a reservoir regardless of the amount of extra fluid will be a bit easier to tune and obviously out-perform the emulsion shock. So, with that being said a King reservoir shock compared to a Fox reservoir shock will have pretty much the same performance. The extra fluid in the Fox's really is not enough to make a noticeable difference. They have a bigger/different style reservoir because companies like to be innovative and have the edge on the marketing scheme of things. It's a good marketing ploy but really when it comes down to it, doesn't make that big of a difference. I'm trying to keep a neutral stance on this I'm not going to tell anyone what to buy I'm just giving my own opinion you can take it or leave it.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts

Ok, here we have a shock w/ a reservoir :rolleyes: now, imagine that the reservoir isn't there and all that extra fluid in between is gone. So what do you have? Less fluid in the shock right. Right. With less fluid in the body the rebound/compression won't be quite as smooth/consistent is what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that extra amount is going to make a difference because any reservoir shock compared to an emulsion shock will out perform it any day of the week. Comprende?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
makes all the word of sense now.. So then the question using this illustration and knowing fixed factors, would it really then matter if it is a King or Fox? Or am I reading too much into this illustration?

Also why then does people like Dhoe not have resi's but it is ok for them to race on what seems to be standard shocks?

Also just knowing from this illustration, A bigger resi in length and in width seems to do a whole lot for a smoother stroke for compression right?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
question using this illustration and knowing fixed factors, would it really then matter if it is a King or Fox?
Nope.

Also why then does people like Dhoe not have resi's but it is ok for them to race on what seems to be standard shocks?
Pretty sure they do. You can add reservoirs to Donahoes quite easily actually, has a Schrader valve right? What do you think reservoirs attach to? Also you're going to be running less speeds with a relatively stock travel truck, think about it.

Also just knowing from this illustration, A bigger resi in length and in width seems to do a whole lot for a smoother stroke for compression right?
It can be debated. Without exact numbers and mathmatical equations I honestly couldn't tell you. I think ANY extra fluid makes it smoother. After that the actual volume of oil making the shock rebound/compress easier could be true or not, I don't know. I never claimed to be smart or anything :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
hey that is why we are colaborating :) Working togethor is much better than work indepedantly right? THis makes sense now.. Now the debate of how a manufacture makes the shock and materials seems to me the only way you could debate which is better shock. Fox vs Kings seems to be a big one since they use such simular methods, I think it would be really hard to dictate which one is superior. Now for other shock manufacturers, Bilstein etc, do they their shocks that much differently than foxes and kings? IMO the FOX and KINGS are at the top.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts