TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay got a job offer to do an in company transfer to a location in aspen ASAP. Obviously Aspen is $$ so ive been looking down valley. Rents seem to be comparable to where i live now, from carbondale and down valley from there. What places should i avoid, any members in the area? Housing seems to be the only thing thats really more expensive than chicago. How is colorado when it comes to vehicle laws, emissions and stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
As far as emissions go, thats only in major city areas. You would not have to worry about it in Aspen

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Get your vehicle set for winter driving conditions including survival supplies inside. And escape those Chicago style politics!!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
You may be surprised at the condition of said housing, for the price you'll be paying ;)...

But hey, more important, ever been a local in a small mountain town?

-Sean

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may be surprised at the condition of said housing, for the price you'll be paying ;)...

But hey, more important, ever been a local in a small mountain town?

-Sean
Meaning? Is that good or bad? The housing here is expensive 800 and up for a nice one bedroom apartment, 1200 plus for a two bedroom. Looking around carbondale and glenwood springs, the prices seem to be close to what it is here. Hard to judge conditions of the housing from a computer though. Sucks because i have to make the decision by monday!!

Never been a local in a small montain town, I did grow up in/near some small farm towns out here if that means anything!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being 2 hrs from moab and around actual offroad trails is definately tempting thats for sure!! I just crunched the numbers lets see if they will pay me what i need/want!! They offerd me a position 2years ago and i declined due to the economy at the time i was impossible to find a place to live that i could afford, now i think it may be my time!!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If you grew up in/around small farm towns, you'll probably be fine. My experience with the locals in Breck over the last few years has been BYO & drink heavily.

I mentioned rent/conditions because my buddies up there usually had a few roommates to make rent in conditions that were suitable for existing ;)...not exactly single guy in a downtown loft style living, if you get my drift ;). Totally different from how it looks in the ad copy for the resorts.

The population tends to fall in two categories, stagnant (old people, married people) and extremely transitory (kids working the summer/winter tourist seasons), and anyone young is usually working some segment of the service industry or retail. Anyone female is not single, but it's a small mountain town, so don't despair, just take a number :lmao:...and be green, recycle them in the spring when they go home!
:rofl:
My experience (in Breck) has also been that the locals are all cool as hell.

I am not certain how the Aspen/Glenwood area compares to Breck. What I can say tho is that with a few conditions ($, wheels, :boobies:), I'd live somewhere like that in a heartbeat. You have a job offer, if this is the right time for you, do it!

-Sean

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not to discourage you at all, because its an awesome place to live, but that valley has billionaires pricing out the millionaires. A teacher buddy of mine moved out of there becuase he couldn't afford it on teacher pay. He was paying $800 in Glenwood for a one bedroom basement apt, and it was what I would describe as "college bachelor boutique". My folks live in Carbondale, and it is more pricey than that. I don't know how they do it- they are far from millionaires. Glenwood is about the cheapest- in general rent goes up the closer you geet to Aspen. However, if you can swing it, do it. It's a frickin beautiful place to live.

x2 On what devinsixtyseven said about small mountain towns. I live in one too, and its all true. One big bonus for the RF valley is the Colorado Mountain College has a campus in Glenwood, so there are some women at least.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Go for it if you think you can afford it. It has got to be one of the most beautiful areas on earth. If I could get my butt off the Front Range and maintain the lifestyle I am used to, I would do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a few people i know that are there now that have told me how the living conditions are, plus when i was out there working 2 years ago, i was briefed by the locals. I would be working at the airport, so year round employment isnt a concern, plus i factored in what i need to maintain the lifestyle that i am used to into my pay that im going to ask for. On a side note, you know chicagland is expensive, when you look at the aspen area and see that the prices and cost of living "is not that bad". The shock of cost of living wont be bad, taxes are lower and booze is cheaper, plus there are mountains, what more could you ask for!!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
pm fjcruzer and march234 (or something like that - it starts with march) Both of those guys know the area well (and are on our forum) FJCruzer - aka Eric, used to be a detective in aspen for 12 years. He moved down to denver once his wife graduated law and he is now doing the school thing!

March(Numbers here) aka Brandon still lives near Aspen. I think he is still working as 911 Dispatch (He and Eric knew each other well).

We have another member that lives near Castleton (Which is between glenwood and Rifle. A pretty far Drive IMHO for aspen but He knows the poop too. His name is RobertTheBruce (Screenname and real name.. LOL) He will know a bunch about glenwood and maybe carbondale.

So yeah PM those guys since they likely might not have seen this post! Just PM em all at the smae time!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I think Hagan (?) is still working up in Eagle too.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
One big bonus for the RF valley is the Colorado Mountain College has a campus in Glenwood, so there are some women at least.
You know, that reminds me of a movie quote...I just watched all the hobbit movies the other day when I was sick on the couch, and Gimli (the dwarf) has this great line where he's drinking himself under the table, it was something about "swimming with little hairy women". :lmao:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I lived in Carbondale for the first 5+ years I was there and commuted to Aspen. We then moved to the Fryingpan River valley and lived in a cabin for the last 5 years.

You've heard many of the pluses and I certainly miss aspects of it. What you will find most challenging is housing. Subsidized employee housing provided by the City of Aspen goes for $250,000 for a 2 bedroom condo, and some of them are over $1 million (yes, subsidized employee housing.) There are less expensive units and with the recent market reset it might be less, but even rentals are high. If your employer provides subsidized housing it's a huge plus, but you're stuck with what they provide.

A couple of other things to keep in mind. The commute from down valley (Glenwood Springs) to Aspen during regular business hours can be akin to regular city traffic and in bad weather it's often worse. The nice-day, low-traffic drive from Glenwood to Aspen is 45 minutes, but on snow days it can be 3 hours - one way.

You will find you have to drive everywhere unless you can find housing in downtown Basalt or Aspen. Just about everywhere else is so spread out it's not feasible to walk. Cycling is good in the summer, but beyond the bike paths in Aspen and along the Rio Grande Trail, you're on the pavement with cars and gravel. Lot's of people ride that way, but I wouldn't (after 16 years of cycling in Boulder, mid you!) - SUVs and F350s rule the road.

Cost of living up there is higher than you might imagine. Food isn't dramatically more expensive, but not cheap. Fuel is also much more expensive. Aspen has the highest rates in the country, except perhaps for some of California and even in Basalt/Carbondale its higher than the state average. Electricity ain't cheap and natural gas prices doubled while I was there.

If we could have bought the property we were living on and found an equivalent job for my wife, we'd still be there, but for 99% of the home-owning population, reasonable housing a reasonable distance from Aspen is unavailable. If you're just going to work there for a short time and don't mind paying rent (which is better right now anyway) it's a wonderful experience.

If you can tell me what job you're transferring to I might have some skinny on that too ;)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would transfering to atlantic aviation on the airport. Thanks for the info fjcrusier. Im well aware of the expenisve level of the place and have done my cost estimates based on that, i used costs based off of living in downtown chicago, which seems to be around the same price and cost of living wise to aspen. I have a 45min to a 3hr drive to work now depending on weather and accidents, so that doesnt bother me to much.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
i used costs based off of living in downtown chicago, which seems to be around the same price and cost of living wise to aspen. I have a 45min to a 3hr drive to work now depending on weather and accidents, so that doesnt bother me to much.
With that in mind, I propose we start calling it "the Aspen Metro Area" :lmao:.

-Sean

1 - 20 of 26 Posts