TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've owned my POS for a year now, figured I might as well protect it :D

Initial mock up pictures with ratchet straps. The fit of the cage is very nice!

I'm gonna put a dash bar right there somewhere...

Nice and tight to the dash...

This is where I had some trouble. Since I have a sunroof, I had to make some changes to my cage design, taking into consideration the sunroof latch mostly. The spreader that replaces the visors had to be smashed a little bit into the headliner to fit. I could install a straight piece of DOM but I would lose headroom so that option is out. This is the area that had to be smashed into the headliner. Those of you without sunroofs won't have this issue :D

As far as building the cage to fit around every accessory in my interior, I'm planning on building the roof around either one of these designs. I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards the left one since I'd have more headroom.

Going along with fitting the cage around shit inside, I'm trying to get a piece of DOM bent up to fit between the heater vents in the center and my passenger side airbag. Something like this should work fine...

I also need to pick up a welding blanket since I'm going to be doing a lot of tacking inside the truck. Any suggestions? :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are you saying the before and after of your truck has all taken place in a year?

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DentedTacoma said:
Are you saying the before and after of your truck has all taken place in a year?
No, I actually axle swapped it less than a year after I got it :D Right after I paid it off a year ago, I painted it green :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
generalee7 said:
No, I actually axle swapped it less than a year after I got it :D Right after I paid it off a year ago, I painted it green :)
Just curious because it seems like you are always doing something to it. If all the changes had been in one year that would be quite the year.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Curious, why haven't you disabled/removed the SRS system?

It no longer functions properly- the potentiometers are not calibrated to your vehicles crumple characteristics- so why not pull the connectors and the bags?

Of course, it is illegal for any Certified Collision Center to install used SRS components, but I suspect in your area you could find some less-than-scrupulous Body Shops that would pay you descent money for the whole setup... probably enough to build your cage and then some.

Either way, pull them, for get about them, and press on. :)

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
generalee7 said:
Not having one is even weaker...
Brian, I had a similar quandry when I built my cage (had it built)

Originally my cage builder, being lazy put a straight tube from one leg to the other across the face of the dash. In a very similar position as your "bent dash tube"

Your design is causing two problems one being stated above in that the bend will weaken the tube. The other problem is it will only give you approx. an 1 1/2" between the tube and the top of your steering wheel. Thus you will be banging your fingers on the tube all the time.

How I solved these issues, is instead of keeping the bar across the face. I raised the anchor points so that the tube was bent going toward the windshield. Swepted that tube so that I maintained approx. 1 1/2" between the glass and the tube. That way the defroster vents still operated properly, I kept more strength in the tube since it came off the legs at a 45º angle and I gained clearance for my hand on the steering wheel.

Downside to this modifaction is it limits my wife's visablity when she drives. Especially since I have lower Celica seats.

Also consider sleeving your legs. This will allow you to get a complete weld around the circumfence of the tubes that run next to the ceiling. Otherwise you are going to have a hard time fitting the completed cage into the cab.

With a sleeve design you can actually lower the top of the cage to gain more space to weld and then raise the legs to fit the cage up to the ceiling and weld the sleeved joints. If you overlap the legs with the sleeved tubing, you actually double up on the tubing making the base of the cage stronger.

I need to take some more photos of my cage, otherwise I would post up images to illustrate what i am talking about. But if you need further explanations due to me being unclear, just pm me. I will be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Otherwise the design and fit looks real good!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AggieTaco said:
Make the dash bar removeable. Leave it out during normal driving, bolt it in and turn off the airbag when you hit the trails.

I'm full of good ideas!
That is a good idea actually! I'll keep that in mind :)

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DentedTacoma said:
Just curious because it seems like you are always doing something to it. If all the changes had been in one year that would be quite the year.
Forever changing:D. Now I've transitioned into saving the structural integrity of the truck in case of a rollover. Not sure what's next :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
valkyrie said:
Curious, why haven't you disabled/removed the SRS system?

It no longer functions properly- the potentiometers are not calibrated to your vehicles crumple characteristics- so why not pull the connectors and the bags?

Of course, it is illegal for any Certified Collision Center to install used SRS components, but I suspect in your area you could find some less-than-scrupulous Body Shops that would pay you descent money for the whole setup... probably enough to build your cage and then some.

Either way, pull them, for get about them, and press on. :)
What does it take to remove and is it illegal to remove them? I'm concerned about safety without the bags and legality, being that I live in California. It would be nice to have a wad of cash sitting around though :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Some insurance policies carry an accidental death payment of say $10,000. On the one at my company it states that you have to have been wearing a seatbelt for your family to receive it though. If that is something that you are worried at all about, you may want to look into that to see if it says anything about your air bags. Disabling safety systems can set you up for huge liability issues if you ever have a passenger injured while riding in your vehicle. Keep in mind that you won't be having every potential passenger sign a waiver that notifies them of all the changes to the safety system that you've made. Your best friend might not sue you for an injury, but his family might if he goes into a comma or something.

Just something to think about that has a very low risk of occurring.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bear said:
Brian, I had a similar quandry when I built my cage (had it built)

Originally my cage builder, being lazy put a straight tube from one leg to the other across the face of the dash. In a very similar position as your "bent dash tube"

Your design is causing two problems one being stated above in that the bend will weaken the tube. The other problem is it will only give you approx. an 1 1/2" between the tube and the top of your steering wheel. Thus you will be banging your fingers on the tube all the time.

How I solved these issues, is instead of keeping the bar across the face. I raised the anchor points so that the tube was bent going toward the windshield. Swepted that tube so that I maintained approx. 1 1/2" between the glass and the tube. That way the defroster vents still operated properly, I kept more strength in the tube since it came off the legs at a 45º angle and I gained clearance for my hand on the steering wheel.

Downside to this modifaction is it limits my wife's visablity when she drives. Especially since I have lower Celica seats.

Also consider sleeving your legs. This will allow you to get a complete weld around the circumfence of the tubes that run next to the ceiling. Otherwise you are going to have a hard time fitting the completed cage into the cab.

With a sleeve design you can actually lower the top of the cage to gain more space to weld and then raise the legs to fit the cage up to the ceiling and weld the sleeved joints. If you overlap the legs with the sleeved tubing, you actually double up on the tubing making the base of the cage stronger.

I need to take some more photos of my cage, otherwise I would post up images to illustrate what i am talking about. But if you need further explanations due to me being unclear, just pm me. I will be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Otherwise the design and fit looks real good!
Thanks for your input Bear :) As far as the dash bar goes, I think I might do what AggieTaco said and make it removeable, though if you could get pictures of how your dash bar is setup, that would be great too :)

I know having those bends in the middle of the dash bar would make that piece weaker but would it make it so weak that not having one would be stronger? Also, I test fit some tubes up that would mock how the dash bar would be, basically it would be a slight bend from the driver side tube, towards the dash so it would be tough to hit my hands on it. I wasn't planning on installing a straight piece all the way across, I'm trying to get the cage as close as I can to things without them touching.

As far as sleeving the bottoms with 2"x.120 wall DOM, that's a great idea too! I was just going to do like Brian at FROR did and sleeve the bottom of the B pillar hoop so I can remove the bolts or whatever and tilt the cage out to fully weld it. I'm probably going to try and do as little welding inside the truck that I can because I'm afraid of burning things to a crisp :D

I'm not going to PM you because I'd like the rest of TTORA to have the information if they decide to buy the cage kit too :D

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stu said:
Some insurance policies carry an accidental death payment of say $10,000. On the one at my company it states that you have to have been wearing a seatbelt for your family to receive it though. If that is something that you are worried at all about, you may want to look into that to see if it says anything about your air bags. Disabling safety systems can set you up for huge liability issues if you ever have a passenger injured while riding in your vehicle. Keep in mind that you won't be having every potential passenger sign a waiver that notifies them of all the changes to the safety system that you've made. Your best friend might not sue you for an injury, but his family might if he goes into a comma or something.

Yeah I just talked to my friend who is a cop and he said the only purpose for turning the airbag on the passenger side off is if you have children riding in the passenger seat and they are facing backwards. I think disabling the airbags is potentially a bad idea. Well, it IS a bad idea as far as insurance goes :D

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sexy.taco said:
Damn Brain... I don't think its the trail runs that are depleting your bank account ;)
So true. Well, I got my tax return back and decided to have it ordered. Plus I like to fab :) Better to get a cage in now before something bad happens I guess..

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
was that a hint... ;)

The owner of ORS used to work at our shop in Colorado, you could say I kind of know him. You'll have to let me know how that works out. If I go with a cage I am leaning towards an interior one :)

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
stu said:

Good idea abot the policy and the seat belts.

However, I think that since his vehicle is altered in a manner that intereferes/alters or disables the designed deployment parameters of the SRS system, then he's past that point and it's all moot relating to the SRS system.

In fact, one could successfully argue that leaving an SRS system in place when it is known the designed deployment parameters have been altered and therefore, it may not deploy properly or it may deploy improperly, could "set him up for huge liability issues" as well.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
generalee7 said:
What does it take to remove and is it illegal to remove them? I'm concerned about safety without the bags and legality, being that I live in California. It would be nice to have a wad of cash sitting around though :D
So now I'll answer this: it's easy. The passenger SRS is attached to a bracket screwed into the underside of the dash- pull the glove box and you can see it.

The Drivers is.. well duh, you know where it is. :) Just pull the cover off and there it is.

The harnesses are all yellow, running from behind the dash to all the way up front.

The connectors are gold plated, keep the Dick away while you do this. :xpimp:

1 - 20 of 115 Posts