TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time deciding between a FJ or a double cab Taco TRD Off Road. I know the FJ the better offroader. But I wanted to see if anyone has had problems because of the longer wheelbase. I have a ranger now and i only had a problem once where the shorter wheelbase would have been better.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm having a hard time deciding between a FJ or a double cab Taco TRD Off Road. I know the FJ the better offroader. But I wanted to see if anyone has had problems because of the longer wheelbase. I have a ranger now and i only had a problem once where the shorter wheelbase would have been better.
When Mine was stock ( '05 Tacoma Double Cab ) I wheeled it in Calico with no sliders, stock tires and no locker and did fine. Just depends on what kind of trails you like wheeling on. I've driven both and they both wheel really well but I'd have to give the wheeling nod to the FJ although it was very hard for me to see out of. Alot of blind spots in that thing compaired to my '05 Taco. But thats just me, so all of you with the FJ's keep your flame throwers checked. You may have had a different experience than I did.

This is a picutre of it before we did a couple of minor, almost unoticable modifications to it.......

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well thank you for the info. I have 2 and a half months do decide what to buy.
Well there are a few of us going out this weekend on a couple of really easy trails. There will be a few hills that will challenge some of us. The trail will start in Corona and end up on the 74. There were 2 long beds last time, one being a 4x4. Below is a link to pictures and some info for this weekends meet near the end of the thread.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t192749.html

This is a picutre of it before we did a couple of minor, almost unoticable modifications to it.......
riiight

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well there are a few of us going out this weekend on a couple of really easy trails. There will be a few hills that will challenge some of us. The trail will start in Corona and end up on the 74. There were 2 long beds last time, one being a 4x4. Below is a link to pictures and some info for this weekends meet near the end of the thread.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t192749.html

riiight
I would go but i work and I dont want to show up in the only ford. HAHA It will be a Yota soon I just have to figure out what I want to buy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
id give the nod to tacoma and i would nt worry bout it being a trd if your gonna lift it and do things to it non trd have the bigger rear end too some say it s stronger i dont know check it out

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I have a question for you..

What type of wheelin are you going to be doing? I had a 04 DC and wheel'd the piss out of it, only to find that I wanted to run trails that would have destroyed it. If you want to go further than med/hard trails or a mild pace in the desert stuff I would suggest looking at building an older toy for the fun, they are cheaper to maintain and can be found cheap if you take your time.

Tacoma's and FJ's are pretty good vehicles to wheel in, but I wouldn't beat my daily driver up again, it's not worth the headacke and stress when wheelin to worry about if you will make it to work or school the following Monday.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to go to an 85 Toy Pickup, it's built how I want it (on going process) and has yet to fail to complete a trail. They are lighter and (to me) easier to work on. The same thing would go for a prerunner if I would have gone that route.

A longer/shorter wheelbase both have their up and down sides. A longer wheelbase will climb better, where a short wheelbase will have an easier time on the tight trails. IMO ~115" is about perfect for crawling.

My :2cents:

Though I did sell my Tacoma around a year after I bought the 85 for a truck that wouldn't scare the hell out of me when towing.

I see you are in Chino Hills... that makes three now. LOL

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What makes the FJ better than the taco? Same drivetrain, same A-TRAC, same e-locker, same suspenion up front, same width, etc... it really boils down to what you need a SUV or a bed...

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
What makes the FJ better than the taco? Same drivetrain, same A-TRAC, same e-locker, same suspenion up front, same width, etc... it really boils down to what you need a SUV or a bed...
Wheel base does wonders, the rear suspension is quite different too. I'd bet the departure angle on the Tacoma is worse also.

FJ-105"
05 + DC SB taco... 126"

Sorry, but there is much more to it than a bed or a SUV.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Wheel base does wonders, the rear suspension is quite different too. I'd bet the departure angle on the Tacoma is worse also.

FJ-105"
05 + DC SB taco... 126"

Sorry, but there is much more to it than a bed or a SUV.
Yeah, wheel base depends on where you are, sometimes longer is better... I will say I loved the `104" in my 95 runner and 92 p/u.. Havent played too much with the DC yet. The taco has a 1* better approach, and 5* worse departure... I bet a lot of that is the tow package, but could be wrong.

I realize there are other differences, and I am not sure how much the rear suspensions differ in travel, I get 13" of rear wheel travel on my DC.

I am assuming that someone who buys a new FJ or Taco is doing more than buying a dedicated trail rig, like you said thats a ton of cash.. So the everyday functions, bed or SUV, are what I was referring to. Both are very capable, and have many of the same features.

Not trying to say either is better than the other.. they have different uses and "markets" but both are very good rigs.. and there will not be a general one is better... its give and take for what you need.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The idea was to maybe buy a old 84ish toy and offroad that but I also want a sports car to take to the track. So thats why I was looking at the FJ then getting a sports car so I would only have 2 cars. But like you said that is a lot of money to be a dedacated trail rig. I have been fine so far with all the offroading I have done in my Ranger. The Taco has only a slightly longer wheelbase. Maybe I just get the Taco and then an old trail beater. But I am very undecisive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would but I need somthing more reliable to get me to and from work and school. A old runner would be just a trail runner for me.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
It all depends on how you define wheeling. I have got about 2K+ in damage to my '05 DC SB that I still need to get fixed. I have done what I would consider to be mild wheeling, nothing compared to what Sisyphus has done with his. I ended up buying an '81 Toyota Trekker to use as my trail truck. It is gonna be cheaper money wise to get it to the point I want as far as lift, tires and dual transfer cases since I would like to do a lot more challenging trails. I have to take a lot of by passes since the '05 is so much wider than the earlier generation trucks.

You can make a new gen Tacoma very capable if you are not afraid to cut. It all comes down to how deep your wallet is and what you want to be able to do.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
It all depends on how you define wheeling. I have got about 2K+ in damage to my '05 DC SB that I still need to get fixed. I have done what I would consider to be mild wheeling, nothing compared to what Sisyphus has done with his. I ended up buying an '81 Toyota Trekker to use as my trail truck. It is gonna be cheaper money wise to get it to the point I want as far as lift, tires and dual transfer cases since I would like to do a lot more challenging trails. I have to take a lot of by passes since the '05 is so much wider than the earlier generation trucks.

You can make a new gen Tacoma very capable if you are not afraid to cut. It all comes down to how deep your wallet is and what you want to be able to do.
I haven't had to take any bypasses with mine on any of the trails I have been on yet and I'm wider than the old taco's and the new ones. I've been in the trees in Big bear and squeezed through those up there with no problems. Now I haven't been up to Or. or anything but the width of my truck hasn't stopped me yet.

This picture gives you and idea of how much wider the fender flares make the new Taco's and my tires stick out 1" wider than the flares do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My ranger(stock 4x4) has done well with all the offroading I have done. I have had only one situation where a short wheelbase suv would have been better to have. It was a very steep 90 degree turn. My friend's 84 yota took it like nothing but I had problems. I got my truck on 2 wheels. I thought i was going to roll. My rear driver and front passanger were completly off the ground. My friend was hanging on the rear bumper to put some weight on the driver side tire. His feet did not touch the ground. I was scared. Why did I take this trail? I had no idea it was that bad. It is a side trail from the main trail at Cleghorn Ridge.

So the reason I was looking at the FJ is so I can go a bit further and not have this problem again.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I haven't had to take any bypasses with mine on any of the trails I have been on yet and I'm wider than the old taco's and the new ones. I've been in the trees in Big bear and squeezed through those up there with no problems. Now I haven't been up to Or. or anything but the width of my truck hasn't stopped me yet.

This picture gives you and idea of how much wider the fender flares make the new Taco's and my tires stick out 1" wider than the flares do.
I know, but you have got the truck that most of us want! Lots of trees in Oregon...I will be heading over to the desert the week of 4th of July with the '05 so width will not be as big as issue. For me the width was an issue...I was just presenting my :2cents: ;) I just wish my budget was as big as your:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I know, but you have got the truck that most of us want! Lots of trees in Oregon...I will be heading over to the desert the week of 4th of July with the '05 so width will not be as big as issue. For me the width was an issue...I was just presenting my :2cents: ;) I just wish my budget was as big as your:rolleyes:
I think I could handle that ride :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts