TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always ran 10W-30W Raw oil in my engine and changed the oil every 3,000 miles. I started a new job where Im driving alot more, and having to change my oill about once every month and a half. I am considering going to Synthetic just for the fact I don't have to change the oil as often. Now I just read ppl usually go about 5k and change there filter, and 10k cahnge oil and filter. How do you change your filter with out leaking alot of oil with all the oil still in the block, or does the pan contian most of it. And you just top it off when the new filter is applied? And it looks like most ppl run Amsoil, do I have to use a diff oil filter with syn.? or can I use the OEM toyota ones? And can you buy Amsoil local, or in bulk since I do my own changes.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
You answered all of your own questions correctly.

As for purchasing Amsoil you might want to become a dealer. See the amsoil website for more details on that. From what I understand, the price to be a dealer pays for itself. I just borrow a friends dealer status to get discounts.

You might want to look into mobil 1. Unfortunately all of the amsoil graphs/charts/whatevers on the amsoil website refer to an old version of mobil 1 that you can't even buy anymore. It is rumored that this current version of mobile 1 is much better. Although mobil 1 isn't an extended drain interval oil, it is significantly cheaper.

In the end I don't think it really matters which one you go with. But even with conventional dino oil in these newer motors 3000 mile oil changes is way too often. The owner's manual recommends 5k I believe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
go to syn and change your oil and filter at the same time (i dont see the point why not to). also amsoil.com will ship to you in quantaties you want.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I use the Toyota Oil Filters though with syn? or do they have to be specific for syn? Cause I have 9 toyota oil filters int he garage i would hate to get rid of. So if I use Mobil 1, how many miles till I have to change the oil.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Blacksheep said:
Can I use the Toyota Oil Filters though with syn? or do they have to be specific for syn? Cause I have 9 toyota oil filters int he garage i would hate to get rid of. So if I use Mobil 1, how many miles till I have to change the oil.
I use Mobil1 and I go 5k.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any of the true synthetics will serve you well and depends on who's propaganda you want to believe. Amsoil has a lot of data on extended drain intervals but as stated earlier, you can go 5k on dino oil particularly if you are doing a lot of regular highway milage. That said, Toyota's have a history of being tough on motor oil.

As for the Amsoil, you can become a perfered customer for $10 for six months which gives you dealer prices. See their perfered customer section of their web site. There is a slighly larger filter for the 3.4s, SDF 34 which Gadget discovered. This gives you a bit more filter area. You could stick with the Toyota filters.

Either way, if you are driving lots of highway miles, going a little longer (5K) on dino oil is fine. Going 10K or more on the synthetics is reasonable but I would recommend testing the oil once or twice until you get a history for YOUR truck that you are comfortable with.

Which brand of motor oil can get a thread pretty heated around hear. But, once again, it depend on who's propaganda you want to believe!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had great luck with Shell Rotella T 5-40 full systhetic, its a commercial grade oil so it dosent have to pass the emissions like alot of auto oils. I can only find it at Walmart or Wally World, unless you want a 55 gal drum. Its like 13 bucks for a gallon, its cheap. I herd some where they having good luck with semi trucks changing it at 100k mile intervals. I however change mine at 10k.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. Im just trying to see if its worth it or not. If I could go 10K on the oil and pay $5 bucks a qrt. that means if I where to use normal oil and have to change it 3 times with in 9,000 miles which I am doing now, I get oil @ $2 bucks a qrt.

So,

Normal Oil for 9,000 miles(3 oil Changes) = $36
Syn. Oil for 9,000 miles (one oil Change) = $30

In that case its worth it to me. But if i have to change it every 5k, then I think I would rather stick to normal oil. Iam I right here?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Blacksheep said:
Thanks for all the info. Im just trying to see if its worth it or not. If I could go 10K on the oil and pay $5 bucks a qrt. that means if I where to use normal oil and have to change it 3 times with in 9,000 miles which I am doing now, I get oil @ $2 bucks a qrt.

So,

Normal Oil for 9,000 miles(3 oil Changes) = $36
Syn. Oil for 9,000 miles (one oil Change) = $30

In that case its worth it to me. But if i have to change it every 5k, then I think I would rather stick to normal oil. Iam I right here?
Is your time worth anything to you? Do you know that synthetic helps prevent sludging? I think synthetic is all worth it, not unless you still change your synthetic oil at 5K interval, then you are wasting good oil. I change my oil (amsoil 5W-30) every 8 months. The last time, I had it analyzed and it was still good and had a TBN of 6.94 at 8 months with 5K miles. I then run it for 2 more months and had it analyzed again and still had a TBN of 5.47 with 6K miles.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Blacksheep said:
I have always ran 10W-30W Raw oil in my engine and changed the oil every 3,000 miles. I started a new job where Im driving alot more, and having to change my oill about once every month and a half...
Doing more miles in the same number of trips is reportedly actually easier on the oil in many cases (and easier on the engine in all cases). Unless you're driving in extremely dusty conditions, or towing a lot, or whatever else constitutes "severe conditions" according to Toyota, I might suggest just going to 7500 mile change intervals with cheap dino oil. Unless your new driving pattern is bazillions of short trips.

Bear in mind a lot of people think they know more about this topic than the evidence would suggest.

·
Registered
185 Posts
alex9021 said:
Is your time worth anything to you? Do you know that synthetic helps prevent sludging? I think synthetic is all worth it, not unless you still change your synthetic oil at 5K interval, then you are wasting good oil. I change my oil (amsoil 5W-30) every 8 months. The last time, I had it analyzed and it was still good and had a TBN of 6.94 at 8 months with 5K miles. I then run it for 2 more months and had it analyzed again and still had a TBN of 5.47 with 6K miles.
Doesn't it cost like 20 bucks to test your oil? Why not just change it? :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
Doesn't it cost like 20 bucks to test your oil? Why not just change it? :confused:
I had my oil tested initially so that I know how long it will be good for. After that, I don't need to have it tested anymore.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and OEM filters and change every 5,000 miles. Wish I could go longer but with a lot of short trips I think 5K is about right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts