TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1998 2.7L 4x4 with a manual transmission and 150,000 miles. This weekend I did my first oil and transmission fluid change. Upon changing the fluids, I did not notice any gaskets for the oil drain plug or the transmission fluid drain/fill plugs. Is this normal or were these gaskets lost over the course of time? I do not have any leaks at this point, but am concerned that one may develop down the road.

I have searched and found a few threads that discussed aluminum gaskets for the transmission, and steel gaskets for the differentials but i could not find out whether that was for my model truck.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm kicking myself for not investigating this sooner!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
I have a fiber washer on my oil pan drain plug. The drain plugs for the transmission are supposed to have crush washers, but mine dont any more. Doesn't seem to matter on my truck since they dont leak without them. I'd just keep an eye on them and if you see signs of leaking, then worry about it. In either case, buy the washers, then next time you change the fluids, you can replace them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume that the lost washers are due to the previous owner/oil change shops in its past. I didn't notice any of these as I pulled out the drain plugs. Am I correct by assuming I can get these crush washers from my local dealer? My question now is : Should I buy and install the washers, and pour some good oil and $$ down the drain or just replace them the next time I do the oil changes? If anyone has any experience with this please chime in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ShowStop, I was replying at the same time you were and didn't catch your post.

On the bright side, switching the transmission fluid to Mobil 1 75W90 from whatever the old fluid was made the shifting much smoother.

Lessons Learned:

1. Purchase the dang $5.00 tool to pump the tranny fluid into the fill hole, what you lose in cash will be made up in time savings alone. I tried the bottle and Hose method. It works, but is slow, messy and time consuming.

2. Do more homework before beginning your truck maintenance.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Thanks ShowStop, I was replying at the same time you were and didn't catch your post.

On the bright side, switching the transmission fluid to Mobil 1 75W90 from whatever the old fluid was made the shifting much smoother.

Lessons Learned:

1. Purchase the dang $5.00 tool to pump the tranny fluid into the fill hole, what you lose in cash will be made up in time savings alone. I tried the bottle and Hose method. It works, but is slow, messy and time consuming.

2. Do more homework before beginning your truck maintenance.
Another true machanic of hard knocks is born!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I bought some washers from Toyota of Dallas when it was on sale. It hink it was like a couple bucks for 10 of them...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NorcalPR -Its good to know the dealerships don't totally gouge one on the price of the washers. Thanks for the info.

gsmsnuffy - As the saying goes, a wise man learns from his mistakes, a Wiser man learns from other's mistakes. As much as I try to be the latter, it didn't happen this time.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
NorcalPR -Its good to know the dealerships don't totally gouge one on the price of the washers. Thanks for the info.

gsmsnuffy - As the saying goes, a wise man learns from his mistakes, a Wiser man learns from other's mistakes. As much as I try to be the latter, it didn't happen this time.

They were on sale though. Try calling "Cooksy" at Toyota of Dallas (they are supporters of this site) and ask for them. The PN is:

90430-12031

Edit: It is .69 cents a piece. For 10 of them it comes out to about 7 bucks.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

If I could remember 50% of what I know 25yrs ago to today, I would be a rocket science instead of a jet engine mechanic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts