TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while doing the timing belt, I got the smart idea to also change the hoses; including the oil cooler hoses as I've had them around for years now. I'm having just a mad time removing the No. 1 oil cooler hose from it's fitting at the engine block. Has anyone found a technique for liberating the bugger?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I change mine everytime I change the timing belt.

It is time for celibration when I get it done. It is indeed a real PITA to do.

I do have one of those spring clamp gadgets with the extended cable and it really does not make it much easier.

I think I ended up reaching through the wheel well and from the rear along the bell housing.

Gadget

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got it done! That's the route I used as well. You're the one that gave me the crazy idea in the first place:)bitchslap). My forearms look like a cat was using them to practice for Fight Club. I never want to have to do that again, with the engine in the truck. I managed to break a tooth off the Crank Timing Pulley too. Three guesses as to my mood, and the first two don't count.:rolleyes: Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one insane enough to do this. For the love of wheeling.......right?

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fumbling it.

I don't know that I really needed to remove it, but after fighting with that No. 1 oil cooler hose for the better part of an hour, I just needed some sort of distraction (I needed to get off the creeper and stretch). I thought that there might be some progress to be made to the front of the engine so I installed the new tensioner, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley. That's when I noticed a wee bit of rust on the crank. Thinking I should clean it up, I gave the timing gear a little tug but it didn't slide very far so I squirted some lube between it and the crank. The next time I pulled, the lube made it spin in my hand and in slow motion it hit the frame crossmember there in front of the oil pan. I was sure proud of myself for not letting it hit the floor. That smile faded when I noticed the missing tooth.

I was thinking of bringing it to Take Over and setting it up as a practice obsticle, or maybe a "guess this part" booth for the newbies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts