TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some Trail Gear sliders this past winter. Waited until it warmed up to prime then and paint. I primed one of them a couple weeks ago, then noticed oil has oozed out at every weld, and through the primer. I had it standing vertical in the corner of my garage until I could find time to paint it. The very bottom of the slider had so much oil seep out of it that it would leave oil all over your finger if you touched it.

I degreased it with brake cleaner, and wipe it down with acetone before priming.

I primed #2 today, and I can already see oil coming through the primer. WTF? How am I supposed to paint these with oil all over them. It appears the inside of the steel tubing was coated in oil or something in the past.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I emailed them, haven't heard anything yet.

I was thinking about drilling a hole, but that will only drain the main tube. Each little support tube inbetween the two long tubes are also oozing oil. It was weird, I put a piece of cardboard down on the floor, then set the end of the slider on that cardboard while it leaned into the corner. There was an oil slick on the cardboard too, that is how much oil came out.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
At least you won't have to worry about rust..

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
If these are welded overseas then shipped to the US, then I can see why they would have a healthy amount of oil on the metal to prevent rust during the 2-3 week journey over the ocean. Even if the metal is sourced overseas, the same would apply. It does sound like an excessive amount, but that can be very subjective given your description.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
If these are welded overseas then shipped to the US, then I can see why they would have a healthy amount of oil on the metal to prevent rust during the 2-3 week journey over the ocean. Even if the metal is sourced overseas, the same would apply. It does sound like an excessive amount, but that can be very subjective given your description.
He's saying there is oil INSIDE the tubes of the sliders.

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
He's saying there is oil INSIDE the tubes of the sliders.
Thanks. I do have a diploma on my wall that says I can read, write and comprehend English. :flipoff3:

My statement still applies. Both the INSIDE and outside of the sliders were once bare metal and probably had protective oil applied.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try and get some pics tonight. I don't really care if there is oil inside, I just need to figure out how to degrease them enough to paint them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks. I do have a diploma on my wall that says I can read, write and comprehend English. :flipoff3:

My statement still applies. Both the INSIDE and outside of the sliders were once bare metal and probably had protective oil applied.
bwahahahhaha giggle snort:lmao:

·
Registered
94 Posts
first problem with this situation is that you bought trail gear, ( no flaming this is just my opinion) second is that they screwed you. the tube should have been cleaned out before the sliders were made by trail gear and shipped to you. this is why im willing to spend the little extra and go with mc or allpro. id call email and bombard trail gear till you get answers because imo thats a defective part and it needs fixed

·
Registered
363 Posts
first problem with this situation is that you bought trail gear, ( no flaming this is just my opinion) second is that they screwed you. the tube should have been cleaned out before the sliders were made by trail gear and shipped to you. this is why im willing to spend the little extra and go with mc or allpro. id call email and bombard trail gear till you get answers because imo thats a defective part and it needs fixed
Or you can make your own as I did. Much cheaper too and you know what material you have to start with.

Later.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got a good deal on these, and they seem like they are stout. TG offers DOM sliders for less money than most places are charging for HREW.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pic of the oil leaking through at the bottom near the floor:

pic of the oil leaking out at one of the cross bar supports:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TG emailed me back today, asked me to send pics. They said they have not heard of this before. Oil is coming back with a vengeance. Actually wrapped a rag around the bottom last night, see if that helps soak it up before it spreads everywhere.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I wouldn't be worried about oil being inside. At least you will have internal rust protection. Acetone and a rag should be enough to remove the oil for painting.....my main concern would be water getting inside (after you've installed them).

·
Registered
673 Posts
Some little punk must be playing a prank on you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What is really happening is that the company that makes these for Trail-Gear in China packs them full of Afghan heroin in an oil suspension. When they get to the USA, the receiving warehouse drains them and washes them out with acetone to recover all of the dope. Apparently they ran out of acetone when they got to yours.

The moral of the story is: lick your slider and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts