TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. took a trip the other day in the truck (about a 2 hour ride one way) running about 75mph. Either way, got a extreme oil leak about half a quart every two days. Looks like it coming down the back of the pan? But after looking at the way the rear oil seal is held in place, seems it would be hard for it to leak at all with that retainer plate? Think it might be just the oil pan seal, it has a leak at the front that drips once in awhile. Also if it was a rear main seal would it not effect my clutch?? Any suggestions would be great, just trying to narrow it down. Do not want to have to drop everything out to replace a $14 dollar seal or pay someone $500.00. Thanks...

Derek

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same 3.0 in my previous 4Runner. I'm afraid that leak sounds like it is from your rear main seal. My runner was in very good condition and taken care of when I obtained it. At 125k~ miles my truck was leaving little spots all over the new drive way. I ended up pulling the motor when the head gasket blew and changed every seal, front and back, out. If it is a rear main seal the rear part of your pan is going to be wet, possibly even some "drippage" towards the bell housing of the tranny. If you have a 5spd, its not going to affect any performace as the flywheel would stop the oil from making its way to the clutch assembly.

Before making the plunge, do make sure that the leak is not originating from the top valve covers.

Kruso

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Definately sounds like a rear main seal leak. Check the bolts on the oil pan to see if any are missing or loose. Torque is only like 8-9 ft-lbs. If all the bolts are fine, check the back of the block for leaks from the head gasket or valve covers. If none of those are suspect, then the rear main seal is about all thats left to point the finger at.

The oil leak from the rear main seal is on the back side of the flywheel. Your clutch is on the other side of the flywheel, so the leaking oil doesnt always cause a problem unless it drips down the front face of the flywheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, just cleaned the bottom of the engine as much as possible with Gunk/ PurplePower. Just hard as can be to tell if anything is leaking from the front or back of the valve covers on that dang engine with all the other crap stuffed in there? Hope cleaning it some will give me an answer to the source in a few days.:confused:

Oh yeah Toyota wants $1300.00 to replace it if its a rear main...lmao... Guy was like," Well it might be possible to get it done in 8 hours... We can give you a free loaner, since its going to be an all day affair or longer?" HAhaha, for that kind of money I should get to drive the loaner for atleast three days and should be a new four wheel drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well every since I've cleaned the engine off and haven't drove 140 miles at 75-80mph. Damn truck hasn't dropped a bit of oil??? Quess it is a PCV system problem, something with the emission control stuff? Old camaro used to have a problem with oil coming from valve covers and oil pan . Until I fixed the PCV system and got things working right? Just not sure what the heck is going on... Dang 3.0L.lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts