TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Your link didn't work but that is beside the point.

You basically don't need anything for the mods you've done. The ECU should be able to handle the little bit you've done.

Before you get anything else like that, you'd first want to have a wideband O2gauge. Use the wideband to see where your fuel trim is first, then get something if you really need it.

Be very careful trying to lean the engine out. It's about the fastest way there is to screw them up. Better a little too rich than too lean.

Whatever you may mangage to save in fuel costs you will spend five times over or more for engine repairs. If you are trying to lean it out at power, i.e. lean at WOT you'll burn the valves etc. all that much faster.

I suggest getting this book and giving it a read before you buy anything else.
http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Management-Systems-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760315825

There are others out there but this one is about the best bang for the buck. It's an easy read yet still has some meat to it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I got the Dick already I am honored. I already bought the part and I was under the impression that this would help with detonation? I am new to fuel injection I have never owned a truck made before 1978 so I am still sorting out the ECU thing. I tried fixing the link.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
good idea on RC cars, not good on newer cars

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Hey now, you know I'm nice to the noobs in newbie tech. I try to help the good noobs as much as I can. It's just the bad noobs that get rough treatment.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It still doesn't work. Probably because it's incomplete with all of those dots in it, like half of it is missing.

Remember the ECU has a self learning/adjusting program. It takes some time for it to dial in corrections for mods. Somethimes resetting it to the base fuel and timing maps can help speed things up but it depends on how drastic a change you made. You can restart the ECU learning from base maps by yanking out the EFI fuse for a few minutes.
To completely tune, the ECU needs to see all of the points in the maps for long enough to get readings from the O2 and do some averaging and interpolation so it usually takes some time and driving under conditions that access all the fuel and timing cells a few times.

Take my advice and get that book. You'll be glad you did and it will tell you everything about EFI that you'll probably ever want or need to know. It's a good buy at twice the price.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The exhaust and the CAI have been on the truck for a while and when I finished doing both of them I reset the EFI and I know that it settled down again after about a week of driving. I am going to go with the knowledge then the wideband then maybe some splicing of the wires. Along with the continued emails to Gadget, that is one patient man. I get to do enough interpolation for flying I really would hate to do it on a non turbine engine and two gauges

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If you get the knowledge and the wide band you will be able to figure out anything you need on your own. That's the whole idea here.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Wow, I guess the old saying rings true, it's not what you know, it's who you blow. This guy tea bags you a little and you completely lose your razor sharp edge:) LMAO The new, gentler Dick:) :) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.