TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been hunting for months without luck trying to find an oak (tan) center console. . . . I've found many grey but no oak. . . . Finally somebody suggested just buying a grey one and painting it oak. . . Is that something that can be done without it being messy/ugly? . . . I don't want to pay $75 + cost of paint and then have it come out lame and throw it away. . . Anyone done this before? . . . If so,what would be the right kind of paint, where would I get it from, and how would I make sure to match my interior? . . .

Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks really clean! . . .

Ok, so are you suggesting that I try taking the used grey console to a professional to paint it oak? . . . I'm guessing that it might as much as just buying it with the right color from the dealer and skipping the hassle. But they want $350! . . .

Is there is a cheap yet nice-looking way of painting it that might be the way to go. I just don't know what paint is used for that.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So I've been hunting for months without luck trying to find an oak (tan) center console. . . . I've found many grey but no oak. . . . Finally somebody suggested just buying a grey one and painting it oak. . . Is that something that can be done without it being messy/ugly? . . . I don't want to pay $75 + cost of paint and then have it come out lame and throw it away. . . Anyone done this before? . . . If so,what would be the right kind of paint, where would I get it from, and how would I make sure to match my interior? . . .

Thanks for any help guys.
I was recommended by my local auto-paint store to use 'Plastic Prep' before painting a gauge pod I was installing. I used that and then sprayed two coats of 'color coat' flexible coating. Both products were by a company 'SEM'. That gauge pod is still looking awesome 4 years later.

-Mark

P.S. now where's that picture?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool! Thanks. . .

So is there paint code that I need to know in oder to get the right paint to match my interior?

By the way, which picture are you looking for?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I bought a grey rearview mirror with map lights to install in my tacoma and painted it a tan color, it doesn't quite match the oak color but I didn't really put that much effort in to matching the color, as it is on the roof not next to any oak colored stuff. I just went to home depot and looked through their spray can colors and found the closest one. I masked off the mirror and the clear lenses and black buttons and sprayed away. It hasn't chipped, peeled or the like yet, and that was about 10,000 miles ago. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I found that if you get Krylon tan Camo paint, it matches the tan interiors almost perfectly. I didn't get a sunroof cover with my truck so I made a ghetto one out of cardboard and painted it with the Krylon and it's a really close match. The paint is flat but that's ok :D

In my experience, painting interior parts with regular ol' paint, chances are it's gonna scratch unless you get it professionally dyed.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Cool! Thanks. . .

So is there paint code that I need to know in oder to get the right paint to match my interior?

By the way, which picture are you looking for?

I brought in my ash tray and matched to the rack of colors... close enough for me...it's on my Ford, so 'Castella' probably won't match your Oak.

...and I give up on the U-Haul pic... :D

Brain said:
In my experience, painting interior parts with regular ol' paint, chances are it's gonna scratch unless you get it professionally dyed.
That's what the prep is for and using a 'flexible coating' is all about :rolleyes:
BTW-your cage looks awesome!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, with all the trouble, I'm honestly tempted to just buy one from the dealer. . . . It just doesn't seem worth it to pay $125 for a used console (most likely with scuffs, dents, etc), try to find matching paint and buy that, buy plastic prep, take the time to apply all of it, and still have the possibilty of dealing with paint rubbing, peeling, cracking, or even stinking up the truck. :rolleyes: . . . I think I'll just pay the extra $ and be done with it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, with all the trouble, I'm honestly tempted to just buy one from the dealer. . . . It just doesn't seem worth it to pay $125 for a used console (most likely with scuffs, dents, etc), try to find matching paint and buy that, buy plastic prep, take the time to apply all of it, and still have the possibilty of dealing with paint rubbing, peeling, cracking, or even stinking up the truck. :rolleyes: . . . I think I'll just pay the extra $ and be done with it.

But I do appreciate the help, guys. Thank you for explaining what it would involve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts