1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
wrooster said:
re:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489680

question:
when recovering other's vehicles, do you let the "other guy" determine where to attach the winch cable/recovery strap to and how to attach it, or do you do it all yourself?

jim aka the wrooster
Wow... this isn't a question for this folder. should be in Lets talk about wheelin.

You just struck out twice. :thumbs:

Let the other person connect the strap/cable and double check to see if its attached correctly.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
It depends on who is the most knowledgeable with the hard points on the vehicle. It can also be the it's my winch and I'll hook up where I want, or it's my truck and you will hook up here. It's should be an agreement on what is the safest.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
It depends on who is the most knowledgeable with the hard points on the vehicle. It can also be the it's my winch and I'll hook up where I want, orit's my truck and up will hook up here. It's should be an agreement.
Best hope nothing goes wrong. I can see someone taking down your Lic. plate number. And suing you because you riped their bumper off or something becasue you hooked it up.

If you let them hook it up, (and there are witnesses) you have a much better chance of winning said law suit.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yes you right. Then again if their stuck they won't. Us wheelers are a group that work together to do it right.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
Yes you right. Then again if their stuck they won't. Us wheelers are a group that work together to do it right.
Well, one can only hope you are right. I don't want the chance of a law suit so a cruze the malls!

LOL

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just read that same article on this board somewhere. They were giving the guy crap about talking trash to the land rover guys.

To answer your question, I will let the other person hook it up to there own vehicle, but I will also check to make sure that where ever the person hooks up to, is ok for me. If they rap a rusty ol chain around something that I feel is not safe to tug on then I'm not going to pull them. I agree with gsmsnuffy, it should be an agreement between both parties involved.

Mike

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
Yea, but you really cant trust people these days. He may be stuck, you may have been just trying to help. Fact is, if something goes wrong they could still try to blame things on you. It almost doesn't pay to help people anymore. You really got to cover your but.
Mike

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
MandAtaco said:
I just read that same article on this board somewhere. They were giving the guy crap about talking trash to the land rover guys.

To answer your question, I will let the other person hook it up to there own vehicle, but I will also check to make sure that where ever the person hooks up to, is ok for me. If they rap a rusty ol chain around something that I feel is not safe to tug on then I'm not going to pull them. I agree with gsmsnuffy, it should be an agreement between both parties involved.

Mike
Purdy much what I said!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'm sure times have changed. Last time I had a winch was on my 75CJ5 I sold in 92. Now a days you would get suied for sneezing in someones car and now paying to have detailed.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Purdy much what I said!
Yup, it was. 2 people said it, must be on to something.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Doubtful.
But this is the internet. It has to be true! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
462 Posts
It was me

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
So, in summary:

Step 1. Whoever thinks they are more knowledgeable can make suggestions to the other person.

Step 2. Each person decides (takes responsibility for) how to attach to and position their own rig.

Step 3. Each person has the right to refuse if they think the other person insists on doing something unsafe or liable to make the situation worse.

If the other person is explicitly made aware of what is going on in each of these 3 steps (maybe in front of witnesses), it minimizes the chances for nastiness.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Wow... this isn't a question for this folder. should be in Lets talk about wheelin.

You just struck out twice. :thumbs:

Let the other person connect the strap/cable and double check to see if its attached correctly.
x2

I would always let the owner of the rig hook up... Now I may offer some advice... And I may refuse to pull them if I don't like the way they hooked up... But ultimately it's their rig and if something breaks in the process... Who the hell wants the blame coming back on the person that is helping in the recovery...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Whoever got thier junk stuck, has to hook up the strap. I usually only wheel with people i know, and we all know what we are doing so i dont worry. If it was a stranger, hell they still hook the strap up, and if i rip your bumper off, its your own damn fault for hooking it up wrong!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Last time I pulled a car out, I used a line something like this-

"Before I help you, let's get something clear. I haven't done anything wrong. I'm trying to help you. If for some reason your car is damaged during this pull, it's not my fault for helping you, it's your fault for getting stuck. Agreed?"

The car owner didn't want to, but they did agree to that in front of witnesses before we hooked up.

I don't know if that would actually hold up in court, but it makes me feel better.

Maybe I should get my passenger to video tape the discussion next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts